Now for something completely different

26 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Shingles is a late in life infection as a result of having had chicken pox as a kid. I had a mild dose (shingles) about four years ago - I was lucky, it can be extremely painful. My GP said I should still get the vaccine as it could return but I had to wait about six months after the shingles to get the vaccine.

Yes I know it can be mild or severe.  Mine was painful, but mild, like a belt around my waist.  The bush brother I volunteered with had three months off work.  Cases on the face seem more severe.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cases on the face seem more severe.  

My late father had it on his face, coming down from his hairline over one eye and extending to the base on one nostril.  He was an old man at the time (90+) and was in such pain, it made me weep.  The only good thing was that he had dementia and as the pain waves would pass he'd forget about them.  

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I know it can be mild or severe.  Mine was painful, but mild, like a belt around my waist.  The bush brother I volunteered with had three months off work.  Cases on the face seem more severe.  

I copped shingles in my early 30’s, nearly killed me, around the waist and groin, ouch. Had 8 weeks off duty. About 5 yrs ago had the shingles jab. The shingles can kill us oldies and you can get more than once. Beware !!!!

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I copped shingles in my early 30’s, nearly killed me, around the waist and groin, ouch. Had 8 weeks off duty. About 5 yrs ago had the shingles jab. The shingles can kill us oldies and you can get more than once. Beware !!!!

I had  very mild shingles two years ago.  Fortunately, I’d had the vaccination, which I don’t recall being at all painful.  It doesn’t give you complete protection, but like covid vax, usually dramatically reduces the effect of the attack.  I certainly wouldn’t want to have a full-blown episode.  Please don’t hesitate to take advantage of its availability.  We are indeed fortunate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My son is in drake passage. Cannot tell you which ship, a secret,  trialling another ship. Rough seas. She is a roller. More than a few crook people on board, lol.

Oh I hate washing machine style rough seas.  The only time I've been seasick.  Hope it is crossed off his potential list.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh I hate washing machine style rough seas.  The only time I've been seasick.  Hope it is crossed off his potential list.  

The hardy antarctic expedition pax love it, plenty of rock and roll and NO stabilisers on the ship, 94 pax max.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Saw a snip on news cruise ship pax denied landing in NZ, anyone can expand on that john dory?

As per Ch 7, it was Pacific Adventure due to bio security concerns. Apparently they knew of the issue and had planned to do hull clean when they got to NZ but bad weather prevented this. Now heading for Hobart with $300 OBC for pax.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boeckli said:

As per Ch 7, it was Pacific Adventure due to bio security concerns. Apparently they knew of the issue and had planned to do hull clean when they got to NZ but bad weather prevented this. Now heading for Hobart with $300 OBC for pax.

All the cruise companies seem to spin the same yarn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Don't let me put you off, just do it.  

I'm fine, just priorities.

Just had whooping cough jab, as it is one of those ... not coming near the new grandie without it. 

Next week, time for a covid top-up for a bit of extra resilience for cruises in late Dec & Feb.

Then I will line-up a shingles vaxx. My wife had a fair dose a couple of years ago, and had them pretty bad around one side, back and shoulder blades. Not a freebie for me yet either, but worth the price.

The recommended vaxx has changed a few years back, and offers a much higher level of protection than the earlier version. 

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I'm fine, just priorities.

Just had whooping cough jab, as it is one of those ... not coming near the new grandie without it. 

Next week, time for a covid top-up for a bit of extra resilience for cruises in late Dec & Feb.

Then I will line-up a shingles vaxx. My wife had a fair dose a couple of years ago, and had them pretty bad around one side, back and shoulder blades. Not a freebie for me yet either, but worth the price.

The recommended vaxx has changed a few years back, and offers a much higher level of protection than the earlier version. 

Yes, I heard that.  Even minimum protection is worth it, but now with the improvement, really shouldn’t be ignored.