Now for something completely different

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for the report. Voltaren really is good. I suggest you consider buying a tube of the gel. Best of luck with your work on your house.

Just to be clear, and I am not a doctor, that they warn against using the gel and taking anti-inflammatory medication at the same time. As the doctor has prescribed Mobic (meloxicam), I don't agree with this advice.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Just to be clear, and I am not a doctor, that they warn against using the gel and taking anti-inflammatory medication at the same time. As the doctor has prescribed Mobic (meloxicam), I don't agree with this advice.

Thanks. I'm already aware of that. I had asked my next door neighbor, a recently retired GP, who uses the gel himself. I was desperate yesterday to have something (the Voltaren tabs) to see me through the day. It did it's job. I have the Mobic now. Will see how it goes.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 4:45 PM, lyndarra said:

On Sunday I was one of three on a committee boat for a windurfing regatta.

This morning I received a message that one of the other two has COVID.

Five days now and no symptoms. Cool.

Which means one of two things. I didn't get the bug, or, I got the bug and the vaccine did it's job.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is going to be tough for some.

That is why the Medicos had the front page on the Courier Mail, before any Govt announcement.  With numbers of covid cases in hospitals increasing, they didn't want to be inundated with Covid cases at Christmas.  

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is why the Medicos had the front page on the Courier Mail, before any Govt announcement.  With numbers of covid cases in hospitals increasing, they didn't want to be inundated with Covid cases at Christmas.  

So, nothing to do with selling more newspapers this time?

Didn’t you get that downpour on Monday?  We had torrential rain for about 3 hours.  Then Wednesday some, and more forecast later today.  Tomorrow looks like quite heavy rain and storms.  We certainly needed it though.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had my first shingles vaccine yesterday - hurt like hell and I wasn't expecting it to.  I thought it would be like any other injection; turn your head, think of something else and it's over before you know it.  Not this little vax, I was so shocked that the nurse cracked up laughing at my reaction.  Almost jumped off the bed and nearly said the mega 'F' word. Today, I'm pretty sore and my arm feels heavy but worst of all is knowing I have to have it again in 6 months!  Having said this, I am feeling grateful for living in a country where I can get this vaccine for free along with mammograms, bowel cancer screening and all those other joyous experiences. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had my first shingles vaccine yesterday - hurt like hell and I wasn't expecting it to.  I thought it would be like any other injection; turn your head, think of something else and it's over before you know it.  Not this little vax, I was so shocked that the nurse cracked up laughing at my reaction.  Almost jumped off the bed and nearly said the mega 'F' word. Today, I'm pretty sore and my arm feels heavy but worst of all is knowing I have to have it again in 6 months!  Having said this, I am feeling grateful for living in a country where I can get this vaccine for free along with mammograms, bowel cancer screening and all those other joyous experiences. 

My arm recently took a week to recover from a whooping cough booster. That was after not feeling a thing with the needle.

Shingles vaxx is on my list. That is something I could well do without.

49 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I've had shingles, so I hope I don't need to have the vaccination.  I first saw signs to have shingles vaccinations in NY.  I'd never heard of such a thing.  My NY girlfriend said oh yes she'd had it.  Everyone has it who are close to mothers giving birth. 

So we have a visitor at the port. Carnival Panorama is here. I saw a Carnival cruise ship at the port on Tuesday Night while I was killing time atop Mt. Tolmie, waiting for a Doctor appointment. I thought "that's strange". It turns out she is having propulsion problems and was scheduled for work at a shipyard in Portland Oregon; there is only on problem, the funnel is too tall to fit under the bridge there. So she is here where there is no bridge, a crew from the smaller shipyard here is removing the funnel. She will then go to Portland for the propulsion work, then she will come back here to get the funnel refitted. I don't know if the work required is outside the purview of our big drydock but we don't have a bridge to worry about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we have a visitor at the port. Carnival Panorama is here. I saw a Carnival cruise ship at the port on Tuesday Night while I was killing time atop Mt. Tolmie, waiting for a Doctor appointment. I thought "that's strange". It turns out she is having propulsion problems and was scheduled for work at a shipyard in Portland Oregon; there is only on problem, the funnel is too tall to fit under the bridge there. So she is here where there is no bridge, a crew from the smaller shipyard here is removing the funnel. She will then go to Portland for the propulsion work, then she will come back here to get the funnel refitted. I don't know if the work required is outside the purview of our big drydock but we don't have a bridge to worry about.

Nice to see your little port a hive of activity.  I used to envy Vancouver for the number of ships which pass through there.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Nice to see your little port a hive of activity.  I used to envy Vancouver for the number of ships which pass through there.  

We still have the largest civilian graving dock on the west coast of the Americas, and no bridge to transit under. We see 2 or 3 cruise ships at the yard every year, usually before or after the Alaska cruise season. We have 2 shipyards here, one can handle ships up to about 80 meters, the other operates out of the graving dock I mentioned earlier; the dock itself is owned by the Government of Canada. We used to have a yard capable of building ships but it is long gone.

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've had shingles, so I hope I don't need to have the vaccination.  I first saw signs to have shingles vaccinations in NY.  I'd never heard of such a thing.  My NY girlfriend said oh yes she'd had it.  Everyone has it who are close to mothers giving birth. 

Shingles is a late in life infection as a result of having had chicken pox as a kid. I had a mild dose (shingles) about four years ago - I was lucky, it can be extremely painful. My GP said I should still get the vaccine as it could return but I had to wait about six months after the shingles to get the vaccine.

• Like 1