Broken Engine/Propeller Niew Amsterdam

MudderBear

Just finished reading a bunch of reviews about this ship dating back to December 2019 and January 2020 with many negative reviews about a broken propeller/engine.  Does anyone know if this was fixed yet?  It seemed to have had a very negative effect on the cruises.  Most people were very suprised that HAL hadn't cancelled and I don't think people got anything more than a $50 credit.   Does anyone know?

Thanks...

I did B2B cruises on the NA in April/May of 2020 and didn't have any problems related to a propeller or an engine.  We made all the ports on time and completed both itineraries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They cancelled a couple of cruises and sent her to Freeport to fix it.  New azipod, I think.  She left FLL for drydock on Dec. 16.  I know because I was on Island Princess and she followed us out.  EM

• Like 1

Yes, it was fixed in February.

We were on one of the broken azipod cruises (Jan 4th). We had a great cruise. Had we not had the speed issues, I would have never known anything was wrong as I could not tell any difference in how the ship handled. But we had lots of fun, ate great food, the best we have had on a cruise to be honest. With all the ship time it was very relaxing. And all this despite the weather being bad (rain and wind that ruined Grand Turk and made HMC impossible to tender into.. not Hal's fault), an earthquake in Puerto Rico that knocked out the power to most of San Juan (again, not Hal's fault), a medivac on a sea day (not Hal's fault), and the faulty azipod that caused us to have to go at reduced speed and meant we would miss St. Maarten and have reduced time in some ports (bad things happen but it's their ship so in some ways their fault but they gave us $50 each for the inconvenience). They subbed St. Croix for St. Maarten. We were fine with the sub as we had nothing planned in St. Maarten, though it was one of the reasons we booked the cruise as we love the island. St. Croix was very nice and now one of our favorites, though it was a shortened stop. We can't wait to go back. It was a messy cruise but I think NA and her crew did a great job of catering to us since most of us were onboard much longer than we would have been had the itinerary been smooth. BUT we are lemonade out of lemons kind of people and seek out the good in every experience.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Yes, the NA's azipod issue was fixed in February, 2020.

Roz, I'm assuming you meant to say 2019 as you couldn't have sailed in Apr/May/20.

Thank you, you're absolutely right!  Anyone besides me losing track of time and place with this lockdown?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thank you, you're absolutely right!  Anyone besides me losing track of time and place with this lockdown?

I am, gosh I don't even know what day it is anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Anyone besides me losing track of time and place with this lockdown?

I've had that condition since I retired. When every day looks the same, you lose all track of what day it is. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1