Information on Zaandam please

hotzej

58 minutes ago, hotzej said:

I'm looking for info regarding the config of the Zaandam.  Does it still have the original Crows Nest?  Has Mix been transformed into Music Walk?  Thank you.

We cruised on the Zaandam last June/July and thankfully it still had the original Crows Nest.  Mix seemed still the same.  I liked the ship, and the size. 

Thanks for the info.  I much prefer the old Crows Nest.  I was on the Nieuw Statendam last fall and didn't like the set up at all.  They have the Explorations area.  Very techy...and very empty.

Just a heads up; the configuration of the original Crow's Nest into the "Explorations Central" is only done on the Vista-class ships and up.

The remaining two "S" (Maasdam & Veendam) and four "R"-class (Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Amsterdam) ships will have their Crow's Nests remain as is, so no tiny library, big "virtual bridge" screens, Shorex moved up there in place of their Explorations Cafes on the starboard side (except Noordam where it and her library remained on Deck 3), interactive table screens, lecture room on the port side of the CN, etc. 

As a matter of fact, the six "S" and "R" ships still have their full libraries as part of their Exploration Cafes on Deck 8 ("S") and Deck 5 ("R") 

• Like 5

We were on the Zaandam in January this year when a couple of men came into the Explorer's lounge with notebooks and manuals, looking very official.  Being concerned about the library, I asked the FCC what was going to happen during drydock, particularly as to the library and Crows Nest.  She assured me that both would remain but that Lincoln Center was going to be modified and more enclosed so that people walking by would be less distracting.  She repeated what I have heard frequently; that the S and R class ships are too small to copy the changes which have been made to the other class ships.  We have no desire to sail on any of the other class ships because of the removal of those two areas.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hotzej said:

Thanks for the info.  I much prefer the old Crows Nest.  I was on the Nieuw Statendam last fall and didn't like the set up at all.  They have the Explorations area.  Very techy...and very empty.

Hi Jane,

you just want a place to enjoy your pre-dinner cocktail 🍹😎

Hey...They have to leave something for us old folks.  To sit down and enjoy are nightly cocktails.  Jane and I were not very impressed with the Nieuw Statemdam.  We're scheduled on it again in Aug to the Fijords etc, but, doubt it will go.  You and Barb stay healthy.