Electronic Muster Drills

jhannah

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I was once confronted by a crew member during the muster drill who admonished me to pay attention or she would require me to attend the make-up drill.  I was reading the Patter instead of watching some stupid video that I felt insulted my intelligence.  

If the video they were showing at the Muster  wasn't geared to a seven year old, it would have been less painful.  When the presentation was all live, I paid more attention, because it is insulting to the presenter to ignore him/her.  When the presentation is by video, well, the crew has to threaten me!

LOL, I really don't see the difference between the video on TV and current muster presentations... just got off the Grand in February... glad they don't require life jackets any more.   I am very capable of reading the instructions on the back of the cabin door and viewing the tv video.   Any experienced cruiser knows the drill by heart.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:25 PM, jhannah said:

. I see no reason to believe we'll all be doomed if we don't go physically stand under our lifeboats ahead of time.

I know this is the practice on many cruise lines.   WHen I've been on HAL, they have even dropped one tender to the promonade level,

so everyone can get an idea about boarding in an emergency.

Princess muster drills are held inside, with each lounge / public area a muster station.

Princess claims that this is safer, because if one side of the ship is inaccessable, or particular lifeboats are unaccessable,

they will be able to lead you from the lounges to available lifeboats.

I'm sure carolyn can comment, but during the star fire, lifeboats on one side of the ship were inaccessable due to the

fire.

The safety muster drill (required by SOLAS) is to enhance the safety of all passengers in an emergency.  As some have pointed out it is treated by many more as an unwanted distraction from eating and drinking than something that could save your life.  

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The safety muster drill (required by SOLAS) is to enhance the safety of all passengers in an emergency.  As some have pointed out it is treated by many more as an unwanted distraction from eating and drinking than something that could save your life.  

This occurs when a persons been to 40 or 50 drills and hears the same old thing time after time. 

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This occurs when a persons been to 40 or 50 drills and hears the same old thing time after time. 

Except it is not always the same old thing every time, even on the same cruise line. 98% may be the same, but that other 2% needs to be heard by the repeat passengers also.

And, of course, it can be different on different cruise lines. Once cruise I was on last year said upon hearing the emergency signal, passengers were to return to their cabins and stay there until further notice, not go to a muster station as soon as practical.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Except it is not always the same old thing every time, even on the same cruise line.

Yea it is. Other then your assigned location which is located on your cabin door, nothing earthshaking has changed since the discontinued bringing your life jacket.