SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

1 hour ago, mwhm said:

I understood that a PCR test had to be processed in a lab and that it could take a day or two to get the results.  Assuming that that is true, even if I took a PCR test the day before I flew to Europe for the cruise, I might not have the results back in time.  If I take a PCR test at the embarkation port, as it appears I will have to because of the delay in getting the test results,  how long would it take for a lab to process the results?  Does each ship or embarkation port have a lab that can quickly process a PCR test?  How long would the delay in boarding be because of the time it would take to process the PCR test given at the embarkation port?

Fastest rapid PCR tests I'm aware of are 1-3 hours but still needs lab analysis, so struggling to see how SS can offer these at port prior to boarding. Suspect they've messed up the comms and will replace it with rapid antigen soon.

It's troubling that with all the things that pax have already got to grapple with that SS would mess up such an important communication. Let's see. 

Edited by Cruiser6270

We're new to Silversea. First SS cruise was on the Muse in Alaska last summer. Cruise was okay but the heavens didn't open and we didn't hear the harps playing. We do have a Rome to Venice trip booked in August on the Dawn and a 2023 trip to the Galapagos on the Origin. 

This e-mail from Martinoli is the most poorly conceived piece of corporate correspondence I've ever seen. There currently is a firestorm swirling over on the "site who's name we can't mention" about this policy update. Ms Muckermann is doing her best to fan the flames by initially blaming the CDC and now saying they're seeking clarification. What clarification is needed? As others have pointed out, there's no ambiguity in the CDC recommendations. We can debate whether the the actual recommendations are really effective, but that's not the issue. The problem is that Silversea misinterpreted the CDC recommendations to require a certain test when that's not what the CDC said. And Silversea is too stubborn and/or arrogant to admit they got it wrong.

This fiasco on top of the Fort Lauderdale disembarkation disaster in early January along with the South America missteps right after really exposes the lack of competent leadership in the Silversea management team. I just don't trust these guys to get it right.

We had a wonderful cruise (pre-Covid) on Seabourn. We leave in 17 days for Barbados and a 12-night cruise with Regent. I keep looking in the mirror and asking the guy on the other end why in the hell do you even bother with Silversea. I don't think I'll ever experience the exceptional organization that many of you reminisce about. Good luck everyone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruiser6270 said:

Fastest rapid PCR tests I'm aware of are 1-3 hours but still needs lab analysis, so struggling to see how SS can offer these at port prior to boarding. Suspect they've messed up the comms and will replace it with rapid antigen soon.   It's troubling that with all the things that pax have already got to grapple with that SS would mess up such an important communication. Let's see. 

WOW!! Appreciate all of these great comments and follow-ups.  When I started this thread way back, "testing" seemed to be a simple and easy aspect of the pathway back to resume sailing.  Now, it is clearly getting much more complicated.  

Yes, for international travel, we are like what was mentioned in desiring to fly in several days ahead of our port/ship departure time.  Their Silversea requirements were not carefully thought out and considered.  Hopefully the top SS executives will get the "message".  Customers want things to be simple, user-friendly and efficient. Their new plan is anything but.  

From the Miami Herald in the heart of cruising company headquarters this morning, they had this headline: Royal Caribbean joins cruise line operators canceling stops in Russia  with these highlights:The world’s largest cruise lines are canceling their planned stops in all Russian ports, citing safety concerns and to protest the country’s invasion of Ukraine.  Royal Caribbean International said Wednesday that it would join the growing list of cruise operators that will forgo Russian ports during the upcoming summer cruising season. St. Petersburg, Russia, is a popular port of call for Baltic Sea cruises. 'With the recent events, we have made the decision to cancel our visits to St. Petersburg, Russia on all Summer 2022 itineraries,' the company said in a statement. 'We have planned alternative ports and will communicate itinerary changes in the next few days to our guests and travel partners,' adding that customers can reschedule their cruises.

Scrubbing visits to historic and charming St. Petersburg will add another major  "hurdle" to the cruising-back-to-normal challenge for travelers and cruise companies.  For us, going to the Baltics without a Russian stop/highlight would make it a non-starter to consider.  I certainly hate what Putin is doing in the Ukraine, but St. Petersburg is a cultural and tourism star that you would hate to miss if traveling that region.  Very, very sad.  

Full story at

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article258934793.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 254,522 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From MSN News and a New Zealand media source two days ago, they had this headline: Cruise ship industry wants more certainty, sooner, about maritime border reopening with these highlights:The cruise ship industry is urging the government to pick up the pace and provide more certainty around reopening the maritime border.  After two grim years, the cruise ship industry remained hopeful their luck might soon change.  Government officials and the industry, including the New Zealand Cruise Association, had been meeting for months to discuss reopening the maritime border.   Zealand Cruise Association chief executive Kevin O'Sullivan said the clock was ticking down as cruise lines needed three to four months preparation so they could deploy in time.  But they needed to make decisions before then, he said.  'Realistically speaking   March is the month when decisions needs to be made that the cruise lines can look at the maritime border opening and begin to make preparations.'  Bookings were already strong and it was shaping up to be a successful season if it went ahead, O'Sullivan said.  'Of course without the maritime border, without ships, there will be no season. But I'm forever optimistic and we've done a lot of work along these lines with the various government agencies, and they've been as helpful in progressing it as far as they can.'   'But it is a slow process and it needs to speed up.'   The industry could not afford to lose another summer season, he said.  P&O Cruises Australia recently cancelled 21 cruises scheduled to leave from Auckland between July and November due to the uncertainty.

Interesting points in this story as to how airlines can more quickly adjust and flip the "on-off" switches quickly to open or closed.  Cruise lines need more advanced notice and timing.  For us in seeking more exotic international location, we do not want to be on a cruise without knowing more certainty that the port stops will actually happen.  Just "Floating on a Boat" is nice, but we want the best to explore different and unique places in the world.  Reactions?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/cruise-ship-industry-wants-more-certainty-sooner-about-maritime-border-reopening/ar-AAUzpr7?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,665 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1

From this Southern California newspaper earlier this past week, they had this headline: Alaskan cruises ready to return to full service after 2 difficult years with these highlights:Like spawning salmon, Alaska’s cruise industry has endured an upstream battle over the past few years. 2020’s cruise season in the Last Frontier was wiped out entirely due to something you might have heard of called COVID-19. In 2021, Alaska’s traditional half-yearlong cruise period raised anchor three months late, and it took another lifting — as in a century-old maritime law — to even make that happen.  Which brings us to 2022. With sanitized fingers crossed, ships offering trips of a lifetime won’t have to hibernate like Kodiak bears yet again. If anything, the upcoming Alaska cruising season is shaping up to be more like an insomniac bear jacked up on caffeine.  Barring the unforeseen, from April to October a whopping two dozen or so cruise lines will deploy nearly 50 ships to navigate the Gulf of Alaska more than 725 times for voyages lasting between four and 92 days — longer if adding tours to Denali or some of the world’s best fishing spots.

Yes, hope in a few months that things can back more to some form of "normal" for the Alaska cruise industry.  Here is more from their reporting: "What sounds like a modern-day Klondike Gold Rush is really just the cruise industry picking up where 2019 started, albeit three years late. Of the estimated 2 million-plus out-of-state visitors who traveled to Alaska in summer 2019, nearly half came by sea, according to a report sponsored by the Alaska Travel Industry Association. The million and change who arrived via cruise ship was not only a record, but a titanic 14 percent increase from the previous year."

Loved Alaska from our summer 2019 sailing on the Silver Muse.  Great experience!!

Full story at:

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/03/01/travel-alaskan-cruises-ready-to-return-to-full-service-after-2-difficult-years/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 235,897 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

"What sounds like a modern-day Klondike Gold Rush is really just the cruise industry picking up where 2019 started, albeit three years late. Of the estimated 2 million-plus out-of-state visitors who traveled to Alaska in summer 2019, nearly half came by sea, according to a report sponsored by the Alaska Travel Industry Association. The million and change who arrived via cruise ship was not only a record, but a titanic 14 percent increase from the previous year."

My Nephew who is an Alaskan citizen has worked in the tourist industry in the past during the Summer when he was not teaching.  No surprise, after 2020, no job then.  Sounds like, if he wishes to do so, a good Summer job in the industry for him awaits.  (He was a tour guide for a company in Anchorage and really enjoyed what he did.  He loves Alaska and, I think, shared that love with those whom he met.)  

SS Healthy return to sailing. I noticed today (8th March) that SS have updated the healthy return and allows more time if you take a PCR test prior to embarkation. Also until the end of April 2022 they will provide a test at port prior to embarkation for passengers who did not manage to get a PCR test arranged in time. I believe that this a positive move for us all and may save frantic chases around airports and cities.

33 minutes ago, Yosemitephil said:

SS Healthy return to sailing. I noticed today (8th March) that SS have updated the healthy return and allows more time if you take a PCR test prior to embarkation. Also until the end of April 2022 they will provide a test at port prior to embarkation for passengers who did not manage to get a PCR test arranged in time. I believe that this a positive move for us all and may save frantic chases around airports and cities.

Super appreciate this above helpful update that seems to indicate that Silversea has "gotten the message" and updated their testing policies to make them more "user-friendly".  That's positive progress!! 

From super cruise expert, Gene Sloan, former top travel writer for USA Today, this morning, he had this headline: Norwegian Cruise Line is about to make a major change to onboard dining.

Here are some of the story highlights:Norwegian Cruise Line on Tuesday will announce that the main included-in-the-fare restaurant on its soon-to-debut Norwegian Prima won’t offer a 14-day rotation of changing menus, as is typical for main dining rooms on cruise ships. Instead, it’ll offer a fixed menu of dishes that stays the same from night to night.  In that respect, it’ll be similar to all the extra-charge 'specialty' restaurants on Norwegian ships.   'Think of it not as a main dining room but as the largest specialty dining room at sea,' per Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Harry Sommer. He said the concept of a main dining room with a menu that changes every night on a 14-day rotation was a throwback to the days when passengers ate almost all their meals in a single main dining room. But those days are long gone, he noted, as most passengers now move from night to night between the many specialty restaurants that now are on ships. Some Norwegian ships now have as many as 18 different dining venues, and the typical Norwegian customer only visits the main dining room on such vessels a couple times per cruise, Sommer noted. Switching to a single menu for Norwegian Prima’s main restaurant will greatly improve the quality of the experience, Sommer suggested.  'Let’s face it, if you have a 14-day rotating menu, there aren’t 14 good ways to make beef and chicken,' he said. 'So if you happen to be in the restaurant on the 13th best day for beef and chicken, you’re not getting as good a dish as you could otherwise. Sommer told TPG that the new fixed menu concept will roll out to the main dining rooms across the Norwegian fleet in 2023, assuming it is well-received in Norwegian Prima.

Will this be a idea/concept to be adopted by other cruise lines, including Silversea?  During our 2019 Silver Muse Alaska sailing, they did not have one main dining room.  That area was split into two different venues with more specialized menus in each.  What will the future be?  Interesting and true comment that there are not 14 different, good ways to fix beef and chicken.  Reactions?

Full story at:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-prima-dining-changes/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 94,689 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Edited by TLCOhio

Issue that remains for me is whether SS is proposing to administer PCR tests (as opposed to Antigen tests) at the port for those who have not obtained a timely PCR test.  Given the need for a lab and the time it takes to process a PCR test, I just don't see how that would be possible.

1 hour ago, mwhm said:

Issue that remains for me is whether SS is proposing to administer PCR tests (as opposed to Antigen tests) at the port for those who have not obtained a timely PCR test.  Given the need for a lab and the time it takes to process a PCR test, I just don't see how that would be possible.

For "up to date" vax pax,  an Antigen or PCR test accepted now, so can expect the port test to be rapid antigen ... Taken from the SS website ....

Up to Date Vaccinated Guests: If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must provide a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 3 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.

"If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022." 

My wife and I fly  out to Athens from the uk for our first ever cruise with SS. We have an overnight stay on 1st May in Athens before our cruise on the 2nd May. We are fully vaccinated with boosters, hopefully there are clearer guidelines in place for cruises after April 30th.

I would think that the tests carried out pier-side are rapid antigen. PCR would involve sending off  the test to labs and waiting some time. It will save a lot of time and aggravation to have the tests done at the point of embarkation. Passengers will be anxious to board without long cumbersome delays. Our friends recently went on a Cunard sailing and the test pier-side and was a very fast return indeed so that they were waiting for a few minutes before being given the okay to board.  I feel sure SS have it down to a fine art and it will be a rapid test followed by boarding safely. We board in Civitavecchia

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From super cruise expert, Gene Sloan, former top travel writer for USA Today, this morning, he had this headline: Norwegian Cruise Line is about to make a major change to onboard dining.

Here are some of the story highlights:Norwegian Cruise Line on Tuesday will announce that the main included-in-the-fare restaurant on its soon-to-debut Norwegian Prima won’t offer a 14-day rotation of changing menus, as is typical for main dining rooms on cruise ships. Instead, it’ll offer a fixed menu of dishes that stays the same from night to night.  In that respect, it’ll be similar to all the extra-charge 'specialty' restaurants on Norwegian ships.   'Think of it not as a main dining room but as the largest specialty dining room at sea,' per Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Harry Sommer. He said the concept of a main dining room with a menu that changes every night on a 14-day rotation was a throwback to the days when passengers ate almost all their meals in a single main dining room. But those days are long gone, he noted, as most passengers now move from night to night between the many specialty restaurants that now are on ships. Some Norwegian ships now have as many as 18 different dining venues, and the typical Norwegian customer only visits the main dining room on such vessels a couple times per cruise, Sommer noted. Switching to a single menu for Norwegian Prima’s main restaurant will greatly improve the quality of the experience, Sommer suggested.  

Full story at:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-prima-dining-changes/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 94,689 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Regardless of how NCL spins it, this is probably being done to reduce costs--in provisioning, training chefs and servers, printing menus, etc. The pitchforks and torches would come out on SS (and likely most cruise lines) if it tried this in the main restaurant. Imagine a World Cruise with the same menu in the main dining room every night--ouch.

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Sommer told TPG that the new fixed menu concept will roll out to the main dining rooms across the Norwegian fleet in 2023, assuming it is well-received in Norwegian Prima.

My opinion:  just one more cruise executive trying to justify his/her employment in proposing something "innovative". 

How many innovations have come from NCL in the cruise experience that has been adopted by other cruise lines?  They bally hood their solo concept of cruising with small single staterooms and a special solo lounge.  Has any other company chosen to offer such?

6 hours ago, taxatty said:

Regardless of how NCL spins it, this is probably being done to reduce costs--in provisioning, training chefs and servers, printing menus, etc. The pitchforks and torches would come out on SS (and likely most cruise lines) if it tried this in the main restaurant. Imagine a World Cruise with the same menu in the main dining room every night--ouch.

Agree.  This "wonderful proposal" is one more reason why I am not an investor of NCLH.  

20 hours ago, taxatty said:

Very good insight from our Miami friend about how cruise lines are looking for ways and options to save money, solved staffing challenges, etc.  Appreciate the other good comments and follow-ups.  As to our SW Ohio neighbor saying: "one more reason why I am not an investor of NCLH." I am glad to not be an investor in any of the cruise lines.  In my opinion, there are still lots of "choppy waters" out there with the rising fuel prices, world uncertainties, etc.  Plus, Covid being better, but not totally done in many parts of the world.  

From a key trade publication yesterday, they had this headline: NCL: Losing St. Petersburg a blow to Baltic cruises with these highlights: “Many guests who had already booked are rescheduling for 2023 or switching to Mediterranean voyages, NCL executives said Tuesday. 'Certainly, near term, there has been some hesitation for people to take cruises to the Baltic,' CEO Harry Sommer told journalists and travel advisors at a media event in Venice on Tuesday to promote the upcoming Norwegian Prima ship. NCL pulled Russian city St. Petersburg from its itineraries soon after the fighting began in Ukraine. While the line is replacing St. Petersburg with other ports, Sommer said St. Petersburg 'has been a highlight of many of those cruises leaving either from Copenhagen or Stockholm on the various cruise ships we have there, so clearly, there's been some fall.'  David Herrera, NCL's chief consumer sales and marketing officer, said guests with their heart set on St. Petersburg are waiting for 2023.  Sommer said NCL is issuing future cruise credits to booked Russian guests.”

Not sure that I would be happy with just a FCC.  Will they offer a refund option, too?  What is Silversea doing and how are other cruise lines handling this "situation"??

Full story at:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/NCL-says-losing-St-Petersburg-a-blow-to-Baltic-cruises

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,523 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Finally, a clear statement from senior management:

We are writing today to provide an important update to our recently released Healthy Return to Service (HRTS) protocols shared with you on March 1, 2022. We appreciate your attention to these ever-evolving procedures that are in place to keep you safe and healthy whilst enjoying your worldwide explorations with Silversea.

After further consideration, including feedback from our guests, these updates and clarifications to our HRTS protocols address the following points regarding vaccination status requirements, pre-cruise testing requirements, and onboard protocols:

VACCINATION STATUS REQUIREMENTS:
  • Fully Vaccinated Guests: All embarking crew and guests must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks prior to embarkation. Only guests fully vaccinated with approved WHO vaccines (see here) will be permitted to board. A copy of your vaccination certificate must be uploaded to "My Silversea" in advance of your travels, in addition to showing your vaccination certificate or printed copy during the check-in and embarkation process.
  • Up To Date Vaccinated Guests: You will need to be fully up to date with your vaccine status ("up to date" means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible), in accordance with each of the countries you plan to visit on your respective itinerary. We recommend that you refer to each country's official government website to understand the complete vaccination status requirements for entry, as well as the ability to roam freely, enter restaurants, cultural institutions, etc. For example, some countries may allow entry for fully vaccinated travellers, but will require "up to date" vaccine status to dine at a restaurant. It is your responsibility to ensure you are adequately inoculated to enter and enjoy the countries on your itinerary.

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING REQUIREMENTS

If you arrive for embarkation with a valid antigen or PCR negative test result (administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy), please make note you will enjoy expedited boarding. If you require pier-side testing by Silversea upon embarkation, please note this will result in a delayed boarding process for you.
  • Fully Vaccinated Guests: If you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (but have not received an additional dose or booster), you must provide a negative antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 2 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.
  • Up To Date Vaccinated Guests: If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must provide a negative Covid-19 antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 3 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.
To ensure your peace of mind, the best and safest course of action is for you to be up to date with your COVID-19 vaccine and arrive at your departure terminal with a valid negative test result dated no more than 3 days prior to embarkation.

ONBOARD PROTOCOLS

• Masks: The wearing of masks during the cruise will now be at each guest's discretion, with the exception of the casino, the theatre, and during muster drills where masks remain mandatory. Whilst we recognize that the wearing of a mask is a personal choice, we do strongly encourage our guests to wear a mask whilst indoors aboard ship, other than when actively eating or drinking, or when in the privacy of your suite. The staff and crew aboard all our ships will continue to wear masks for the foreseeable future.
  • Physical Distancing: Physical distancing among guests will no longer be required; although our crew will maintain this practice.

With the uncertainty surrounding current travel regulations, this information may evolve; as well, it may change based on the requirements of a particular cruising region. Please be reminded that local regulations may require more stringent protocols (e.g. masks may be mandatory), in which case Silversea will comply with all local requirements and guidelines.

For your reference, more information on our Healthy Return to Service Protocols may be found on our website by clicking here.

Thank you for your cooperation in understanding and adhering to the measures in place to safeguard your travels. These are exciting times as we return to the global discovery we all love, and on behalf of everyone at Silversea, we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Best personal regards,
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.email.silversea.com%2Fwpm%2F1035%2FContentUploads%2FImages%2FGBL%2FSignatures%2FRoberto_Martinoli_Signature.png&t=1646859559&ymreqid=215f810e-58c9-c506-2f2c-5a0011012400&sig=UKKKADvMBzRRZjT.gzdddA--~D
Roberto Martinoli,
President & CEO

16 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Looks just like the previous statement to me!? Why don't they just say "You must have your original vaccination dose(s) and at least one booster to travel". Er that's it. Needing a PCR when even Dubai no longer does is weird.

That is not true. They are clearly saying that an antigen or PCR test is acceptable. Two days prior if you haven't had a booster and three days prior if you have been boosted. They are also clarifying that free testing will be available at the pier if you cannot get a test on your own. Just warning that it may delay embarkation time.

I think this statement pretty well covers all the issues that have been raise on this thread. No excuse for the earlier poor communication. But at least we now know.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Not sure that I would be happy with just a FCC.  Will they offer a refund option, too?  

I would prefer a cash refund rather than a FCC.  I think the problem was for many that there were some "goodies" attached to the FCC, such as significant onboard credits, that the FCC option was difficult to reject.  When those cruises in 2020 and 2021 began to be cancelled with the FCC option, none of us expected during the first quarter of 2022 that Covid would still be a concern.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, rkacruiser said:

I would prefer a cash refund rather than a FCC.  I think the problem was for many that there were some "goodies" attached to the FCC, such as significant onboard credits, that the FCC option was difficult to reject.  When those cruises in 2020 and 2021 began to be cancelled with the FCC option, none of us expected during the first quarter of 2022 that Covid would still be a concern.

Yes, agree with our SW Ohio neighbor that these days a cash refund is much preferred.  In the "early days", those FCC options seemed good.  But, then things took so much longer to return to some form of "normal". Appreciate the posting and details on Silversea's supposed "clarifications" of their testing requirements.  Still not total clear to me.  .  

From a top Canada news sources earlier this past week, they had this headline: Cruise ships will return to B.C. in April, following new federal COVID-19 guidelines with these highlights:After months of talks, the federal government has released its COVID-19 rules for cruise ships. Among them: passengers must be vaccinated and tested, and ships must have plans to manage outbreaks.  It's the last step required before cruise season can officially launch in April. The Canadian and U.S. governments, public health authorities and industry representatives have been discussing the plans since Ottawa officially reopened Canadian waters in November.   The vaccination and testing requirements align with the rules for those entering the country by land and air. Cruise ship passengers will have to be tested before boarding the ships at their departure points but also before disembarking at both their final destination and other ports of call.

Here is more: "Jeff Bray, the executive director of the Downtown Victoria Business Association, says that last point is a relief. He says most people don't realize that by the time most cruise ships stop in B.C., they're near the end of their trip, and have been at sea for five to seven days — meaning their initial test results don't mean much anymore. He says now it's in the cruise line's hands to make sure passengers are tested again before setting foot in Victoria."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/cruise-ships-will-return-to-b-c-in-april-following-new-federal-covid-19-guidelines/ar-AAUKSNp?ocid=BingNewsSearch

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,417 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, worldtraveller99 said:

I wonder how long the testing in Vancouver will go on for? Oh well, sigh.

Great above question from our friend in London.  Many, many questions still to be answered.   

From Forbes magazine late last evening, they had this headline: The Newest Travel Trend: When You Long For A Longer Cruise.

Here are some of the reporting highlights:Shorter cruises? News Flash: They’re sinking in popularity.  In fact, there is a trend right now for extended cruises, which are growing in favor, says Jonathan Phillips, a Virtuoso travel advisor in Phoenix, Ariz. 'People have been cooped up for too long with Covid, and are not interested in 9-10-day cruises…Cruise lines are giving fantastic savings on combination back-to-back cruises. You can see the Eastern and Western Mediterranean on 30-day cruises and not repeat any ports.'  Mary Jean Tully, another top Virtuoso luxury travel advisor in Toronto, agrees. 'Especially due to Covid, people definitely want to make longer trips — they just want to be away after going through all this hassle. They desire to settle in for an extended time as they feel that they missed out for over two years. World cruises can span anywhere from 105 days to 150 days and surprisingly, the majority of them are completely full already for next year and for 2024.'  Here’s another reason why extended cruises are on the upswing: When booking a cruise, many people often choose a 10- or 12-day itinerary. My husband Bill and I have taken numerous cruises, and have found that the following is what typically happens on a cruise of that approximate length: You arrive on your ship, exhausted from the 'travail' of air travel, and collapse for at least one day. It then takes you two or three additional days to acclimate yourself to the ship, and get your bearings. Then, about four days into the cruise – you’ll get the request for 'Mid-cruise Comments' – and soon after, your disembark notice arrives. That is not the relaxed, rejuvenating experience typically sought in a cruise. It doesn’t translate to: 'Unwind.' 

Reactions?  Any personal experiences to share?  Feed-back similar or differentfrom friends and fellow travelers??  Agree that it does take time to get there, adjust to the ship, feel relaxed, etc.  Our longest cruise was 26 days in 2015 going from Barbados in doing the Amazon River and Caribbean, finishing in San Juan.  Wonderful experience on the Silver Cloud!!  For us, just doing a seven-day cruise is way too short and significantly limited.  Plus, we like to add time either before and/or after the cruise to extend the exploring and experience.  

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debbikickham/2022/03/12/the-newest-travel-trend-when-you-long-for-a-longer-cruise/?sh=2b8bf6d57b49

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,996 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Reactions?  Any personal experiences to share?

I have been fortunate to have sailed long cruises of 21+ days, 64 days, and 113 days.  It takes almost as much work/effort to plain to sail on a short cruise--living in Ohio--as it does for a longer cruise.  Longer cruises, particularly those that are continuously long and not b2b, etc., are significantly different than others.  There is a "rhythm" that develops, a relationship among guests and crew that is different from a shorter cruise, and the ability to add a day or two prior to the cruise helps to add to the anticipation for that cruise.  (The "work" is done; the cruise is about to begin.)  Adding a day or two after the cruise is a "wind down" period back to reality.  Adding that time when I returned from my world cruise was helpful, allowed for reflection on what I had just experienced, and, I think, better adjusted me to my pre-cruise life.  

• Like 2