Ovation to Alaska in July 2020

15 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

True, but Questions were asked 3 weeks. At that time most Cruise Lines inc Carnival Corp's were canceled only until May/June

Very true.  And my bad for not noticing the post original date 😬

37 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Don't know why Royal is keeping open other than to get more deposits/cash flow.  

When it comes to Alaska, Royal in it's  own world, It's in denial no one is going up there with large cruise ships in 2020. They just don't get it........Besides the ports  and it's vendor's will be closed up. No workers from the lower 48 going up there to work for 3 or 4 weeks with  maybe 1 or 2 ships coming into town for the whole week. Not worth it.

Just not going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have Radiance Sept 4 Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore. I doubtful it will sail and with final payment due next week I won't put out any more $$ just to wait and see if it's cancelled and then get in line for a refund.  

I emailed M Bayley asking if final payment date could be extended and asked why RCI isn't cancelling cruises that are beyond the July 31 cutoff that they know won't sail. Hopefully others will email mbayley@rccl.com and share their concerns too. 

It will be interesting to see if I get a response and what is said. I'm not optimistic and am sure the response will be typical corporate speak but will say at least I've given it a shot by sharing my thoughts. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We have Radiance Sept 4 Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore. I doubtful it will sail and with final payment due next week I won't put out any more $$ just to wait and see if it's cancelled and then get in line for a refund.  

I emailed M Bayley asking if final payment date could be extended and asked why RCI isn't cancelling cruises that are beyond the July 31 cutoff that they know won't sail. Hopefully others will email mbayley@rccl.com and share their concerns too. 

Can't wait to hear that amswer, be sure to post IF you hear back from him.

I would love to be able to cruise on Ovation to Alaska.  That would be great.  But seriously doubt British Columbia will allow cruising at all for the entire summer.  BC is just starting to get Covid-19 under control.   Government information is below.  

CBC NEWS -  Cruise ships not welcome this summer, B.C. health officials say

Cruise ships will be allowed to stop for refuelling but passengers not permitted to get off ship

CBC News · Posted: May 12, 2020 9:10 PM PT | Last Updated: May 13

B.C. health officials say passengers will not be permitted to disembark if cruise ships arrive at the province's ports later this summer although it's still unclear if the federal government will decide whether to resume the cruise ship season on July 1.

On March 13, Transport Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada announced as a safety measure to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, that the cruise ship season which normally starts at the beginning of April would be delayed until the beginning of July.

There have been questions over whether coastal cities including Vancouver, Victoria and Prince Rupert could see the arrival of international cruise ship lines this summer but Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said that will not be the case.

Dr. Henry said the province has made its position clear about the possible resumption of cruise ship visits.

"We've had those conversations with our counterparts in the federal government. We are as you can imagine not in favour of cruise ships coming into anywhere in British Columbia."

Henry said she has spoken to health officials in Yukon, Alaska and Washington State who feel similarly concerned about cruise ships which have seen some of the worst outbreaks of coronavirus.

Henry explained that federal government rules requiring people to self-isolate for 14 days after international travel will apply to cruise ship passengers.

"So if a cruise ship somehow had somehow planned to come here, then we would not be allowing people to come off the cruise ship for example."

According to Tourism Vancouver, the cruise ship season made $840 million in 2019 with more than 280 ships arriving at the city's port.

The Port of Vancouver is closely following developments and said on its website,"We will continue to be in discussions with our cruise line partners over the next few months, as we actively monitor the Canadian and international response to this extraordinary circumstance."

Henry said she expects the federal government to revisit the issue and come out with more recommendations around cruise lines but says provincial health orders will stand through July 1.

Health Minister Adrian Dix also warned people who may be thinking about taking a cruise to reconsider.

"I think if people are planning that kind of travel and I know there are many people who are dedicated fans of cruise ships, going on cruise ship vacations that really all of the evidence tells you this is not the summer for that," said Dix.

With ships out of position I am wondering if they will invest the money and time to get them to Alaska IF they can salvage part of the 2020 Alaska cruise season assuming Canada does open its ports.

It's been offered that ships can break even below 50% capacity but that didn't assume a massive fuel bill to get the ship into position.   

There is additional risk that a new spike in cases could cause Canada to close it ports again.  That would be a worst case scenario.  Spend a fortune to move a ship across the Pacific only to see cruises halt and then be faced with the cost of moving the ship back across the Pacific empty.  

At some point even if Canada does open its ports it won't make sense to attempt a partial 2020 Alaska cruise season.  Only Royal knows where that point is or if we've already past it.  

I'm also curious to know if the federal government would be open to waiving the PVSA for 2020 so that cruise ships could bypass Canada.  That's assuming Seattle reopens the port.  

Edited by twangster

Interesting speculation for sure.  Though the ships are sitting in SE Asia, and near Barbados (Serenade)....they sure are not making money there either. 

If they cancel the rest of the Alaska season (and IMHO they will)...then you have to think about they will have to cancel the booked TPs that would come from there.  Those ships due to head to Australia and Asia from Vancouver and Seattle.  

Soooo...cancel the TP...and just stay near Asia (Ovation and Radiance there now).   That would then be another 5 months or more before they could start the Australia season, on top of the time they have been cooling their heels down in SE Asia.  

Will be interesting to see what develops.  All Speculation.  I would just like to see RCI pull the bandaid off and officially let us know they have canceled the entire Alaska season.  Then I can

ask for my refund.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pink845 said:

I would love to be able to cruise on Ovation to Alaska.  That would be great.  But seriously doubt British Columbia will allow cruising at all for the entire summer.  BC is just starting to get Covid-19 under control.   Government information is below.  

CBC NEWS -  Cruise ships not welcome this summer, B.C. health officials say

B.C. health officials say passengers will not be permitted to disembark if cruise ships arrive at the province's ports later this summer although it's still unclear if the federal government will decide whether to resume the cruise ship season on July 1.

I wish a decision would be made but, even if B.C. decides no cruises, will RCI cancel them. 

In the statement above the health officials are saying one thing but it's unclear if the federal government will decide to resume the cruise season on July 1. 

Many of us are booked on Radiance Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore Sept 4. Final payment is next week for leg 1. Not optimistic that RCI will pull the Band-Aid off and cancel those cruises they know won't sail but wish they would. This is true for Ovation, Radiance and Serenade for Alaska and Transpacifics.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, island lady said:

Interesting speculation for sure.  Though the ships are sitting in SE Asia, and near Barbados (Serenade)....they sure are not making money there either. 

If they cancel the rest of the Alaska season (and IMHO they will)...then you have to think about they will have to cancel the booked TPs that would come from there.  Those ships due to head to Australia and Asia from Vancouver and Seattle.  

Soooo...cancel the TP...and just stay near Asia (Ovation and Radiance there now).   That would then be another 5 months or more before they could start the Australia season, on top of the time they have been cooling their heels down in SE Asia.  

Will be interesting to see what develops.  All Speculation.  I would just like to see RCI pull the bandaid off and officially let us know they have canceled the entire Alaska season.  Then I can

ask for my refund.  😉 

Radiance is due for her drydock after the TP so maybe they could do that while she's in Asia now. I'm sure it wouldn't be the renovation she needs but could be the routine maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Radiance is due for her drydock after the TP so maybe they could do that while she's in Asia now. I'm sure it wouldn't be the renovation she needs but could be the routine maintenance. 

Totally agree...I am guessing most ships that were scheduled for dry dock are just doing the maintenance right now...no remodel indeed and no "amping"...bleeding money as it is.  😉 

Edited by island lady

29 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Even before Covid19, I don't think any the ships below Voyager class had any "renovations" planned.

Refurbishments may have the word I should have used. These were planned for Oct 2020 before she's goes to her new home port of Brisbane. 

13 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Carpets, upholstery furniture. She was pretty "tired" looking.

Some of that may not even be noticeable to some and even in good times, they only did that if it "really needed it" -that subjective bar may be lowered a bit further with RCCL's cash shortage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...