New deposit required with FCC re-booking??

a3593

Dear tabby, firefly and everyone, thanks so much for all your advice.

I just called Carnival and managed to transfer the funds from the  cancelled Cruise to a new one without paying any more cash!

I chose option 5 (make a new booking) and got a great guy within a minute, no waiting!

Carnival  gave me AUD 950 OBC, without even asking. They undoubtedly have the best reward for re- booking a cancelled Cruise, even better than their own sister companies.

if I transfer this booking to a travel agent within 30 days then I will get 8% OBC from the agent also

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, drsel said:

Dear tabby, firefly and everyone, thanks so much for all your advice.

I just called Carnival and managed to transfer the funds from the  cancelled Cruise to a new one without paying any more cash!

I chose option 5 (make a new booking) and got a great guy within a minute, no waiting!

Carnival  gave me AUD 950 OBC, without even asking. They undoubtedly have the best reward for re- booking a cancelled Cruise, even better than their own sister companies.

if I transfer this booking to a travel agent within 30 days then I will get 8% OBC from the agent also

That’s good news!

On 12/21/2020 at 5:02 AM, Sailin_Pirate said:

I used a pvp  to re-book using my  fcc . The re-book was almost the same cost , but I was charged 70 bucks $34/$36 for deposit/balance. I now have an extra 70 bucks in obc.

No idea why i bought obc , but better than the $500 deposit they initially wanted.

I got it all figured out!

Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that the deposit for every Cruise is $200.

And that all the cancellations are done by Carnival,  not by you.

You pay $200 fresh cash for Cruise number 1.  Later on it gets cancelled by Carnival.

So you shift the funds to cruise number 2.

Now, you do not need to make a fresh deposit because you are shifting fresh cash from Cruise number one, when you could have easily got a refund.

Later, Cruise number 2 gets cancelled by Carnival, so you try to shift the funds $200 to Cruise number 3.

In this case the $200 is not fresh cash, but a FCC, so you will have to pay an extra deposit of $200 for Cruise number 3.

So Carnival now has $400 for Cruise number 3.

Later, Cruise number 3 gets cancelled by Carnival, so you shift the funds $400 to Cruise number 4.

Again, you do not have to pay a fresh deposit of $200 for Cruise number 4, because you have $200 fresh cash (out of $400), in cruise number 3, which you could have easily got refunded.

I hope all this makes sense.

Edited by drsel

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that the deposit for every Cruise is $200.

You pay $200 fresh cash for Cruise number 1.  Later on it gets cancelled by Carnival.

Now, you do not need to make a fresh deposit because you are shifting fresh cash from Cruise number one, when you could have easily got a refund.

Later, Cruise number 2 gets cancelled by Carnival, so you try to shift the funds $200 to Cruise number 3.

In this case the $200 is not fresh cash, but a FCC, so you will have to pay an extra deposit of $200 for Cruise number 3.

Later, Cruise number 3 gets cancelled by Carnival, so you shift the funds $400 to Cruise number 4.

Again, you do not have to pay a fresh deposit of $200 for Cruise number 4, because you have $200 fresh cash (out of $400), in cruise number 3, which you could have easily got refunded.

I don't think it's a matter of "fresh cash".  It's more like "the policy of the day".

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Personally, I prefer booking with the cruiseline and getting their confirmation.  That way I can see all FCC credits and all OBC....making sure everything is in order....and then hand it over to the TA.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't think it's a matter of "fresh cash".  It's more like "the policy of the day".

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Personally, I prefer booking with the cruiseline and getting their confirmation.  That way I can see all FCC credits and all OBC....making sure everything is in order....and then hand it over to the TA.

yes they give you a 4 digit pin which you have to give your TA to unlock/access your booking

Edited by drsel

3 hours ago, drsel said:

We were not that fortunate.  Only had one cruise cancelled in September with a $500 deposit.  Just recently we decided to book another cruise which was 14 days in Oct. 2022 (we had the option for a full refund or $600 OBC good until 5/21.)  Our TA said we have to pay another $800 deposit and the $500 would go as FCC toward the cruise.  I guess I could have had them call Carnival again to just pay the difference of $300 deposit, but I didn't know it then.

1 minute ago, EllieinNJ said:

We were not that fortunate.  Only had one cruise cancelled in September with a $500 deposit.  Just recently we decided to book another cruise which was 14 days in Oct. 2022 (we had the option for a full refund or $600 OBC good until 5/21.)  Our TA said we have to pay another $800 deposit and the $500 would go as FCC toward the cruise.  I guess I could have had them call Carnival again to just pay the difference of $300 deposit, but I didn't know it then.

I don't know why the TAs misguide their own customers, especially when they get paid commission only after the Cruise is over.

I don't see any benefit to them if you pay extra money / fresh cash to Carnival.

what tabby said  is right.

you need to book it yourself and then transfer it  to your TA to get the 8 to 10% OBC out of their 10-16% commission

1 hour ago, drsel said:

I don't know why the TAs misguide their own customers, especially when they get paid commission only after the Cruise is over.

I don't see any benefit to them if you pay extra money / fresh cash to Carnival.

what tabby said  is right.

you need to book it yourself and then transfer it  to your TA to get the 8 to 10% OBC out of their 10-16% commission

Update (not really important)

The TA reduced my fare instead of OBC....which works better for me!

Now...let's just hope all this work and chatter isn't in vain.

5 hours ago, drsel said:

According to our TA, she receives her commission from Carnival once the cruise is paid in full, not after it is over.  She did state that for some other lines, commission is not paid until the ship sails.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:08 PM, a3593 said:

Mine is a big mess. I selected the option of a 100% FCC after my July cruise was cancelled.  I got $300 in FCC and over $1000 refunded. (???) They said its because I asked for it to be done that way. I didn't.  The FCC form doesn't even give you that option.  So now I have to wait until who knows when for the refund to go back to my card and then turn around and call Carnival and give the money right back to them. Its stupid.  And, I had to pay a new deposit for each cabin!  I know this is a minor annoyance; people are dealing with bigger issues today.  But I just thought that the whole process would be easier. 

Very similar to what I went through when my Horizon cruise (that I should have been on right now) got cancelled; I was expecting a lump FCC that I could roll over, but instead...credit card refunds for extras (dining, excursions), some FCC (the $500 non refundable, same as your $300) then a large credit card refund. Mess. 

34 minutes ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Very similar to what I went through when my Horizon cruise (that I should have been on right now) got cancelled; I was expecting a lump FCC that I could roll over, but instead...credit card refunds for extras (dining, excursions), some FCC (the $500 non refundable, same as your $300) then a large credit card refund. Mess. 

I just shifted my entire payment into the new Cruise.

I didn't have to pay any extra fresh money because the previous cancelled Cruise already had fresh money + FCC in it

On 12/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Update (not really important)

The TA reduced my fare instead of OBC....which works better for me!

Now...let's just hope all this work and chatter isn't in vain

There is one TA who has an extremely cheap rate for almost all Cruises, much lower than the rest.

Probably 16% lower, even for Carnival Cruises.

(Carnival doesn't allow price discounting by TAs, but they can gift you OBC)

But this TA has a mandatory booking fee of 39.99 pounds, cancel fee of 100 pounds or $100, and 50 pounds or $100 for any change whatsoever.

This is over and above any charges of the cruise line.

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

There is one TA who has an extremely cheap rate for almost all Cruises, much lower than the rest.

Probably 16% lower, even for Carnival Cruises.

(Carnival doesn't allow price discounting by TAs, but they can gift you OBC)

But this TA has a mandatory booking fee of 39.99 pounds, cancel fee of 100 pounds or $100, and 50 pounds or $100 for any change whatsoever.

This is over and above any charges of the cruise line.

I know TAs aren't supposed to discount Carnival, but this is the 2nd one who did it for me.  I prefer to pay less, especially because I have plenty of OBC.  I didn't ask...both times they just did it.  It must work out better for them.

The TA you talk about would probably be good for a luxury cruise...and only if you're sure of what you want.  Even in normal times, I'd be paying more in fees than the cost of the cruise.

18 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I know TAs aren't supposed to discount Carnival, but this is the 2nd one who did it for me.  I prefer to pay less, especially because I have plenty of OBC.  I didn't ask...both times they just did it.  It must work out better for them.

The TA you talk about would probably be good for a luxury cruise...and only if you're sure of what you want.  Even in normal times, I'd be paying more in fees than the cost of the cruise.

Why would you be paying more in fees than the 16 % discount?

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Well, I have a habit of changing cabins (I start with the inexpensive cabin and go up), sometimes canceling....and there's a booking fee.  So I doubt I'd end up with the 16%.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to use this cheap agent.

I wonder if they charge $100 or 50 pounds to re price your fare, whenever there is a price drop

12 hours ago, drsel said:

I am trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to use this cheap agent.

I wonder if they charge $100 or 50 pounds to re price your fare, whenever there is a price drop

Unless you have huge price drops you'd end up the a net loss!  

If you check it out, please report back!

One TA told me that he has a problem with people who call for "small price drops".  I mean, seriously, the passenger is entitled to these drops and doing the paperwork is part of the TAs job.  I do feel for the TAs (who want to do extra work and get paid less if there's a price drop etc?), but they picked their careers/jobs.