Some vendors will offer refunds

arlodog

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to let everyone know that some vendors are offering refunds, even if they don't have to. 

We had a cruise booked 7/31/20 on RCCL to Alaska.  We had booked all of our excursions prior to the COVID 19 crisis.  It was to be a 3rd cruise to Alaska, so we were familiar with the ports and knew we needed to book asap to ensure that what we wanted to do would be available. 

We booked with Jayleen's in Juneau for a whale watching tour.  10 years ago we were able to go with Harv & Marv's (her Dad Jay, was a co- owner at the time) and we had a wonderful time with him.  He actually talked about her on our tour; and how she was a photographer too.  When I contacted her to cancel she offered a refund even though it was supposed to be a non-refundable deposit of $60.  We asked her to keep it and we will plan on booking with her in the future.  I am sure that the cancellations of all the cruises this summer is devastating to these small business owners.  I appreciate her offering, but know that unless your boat is paid off,  just keeping up maintenance and insurance is no small expense for these business owners. 

In Skagway we booked with Dyea Dave.  No deposit with him, but did have railroad tickets booked directly with Whitepass and Yukon railway.  Again, no problem to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket.  They replied within 24 hours of inquiry and said it will take 2-3 business days to credit back to our card. 

The only thing we were not able to cancel was a hotel reservation for 1 night in Seattle booked on Hotwire.  I knew the risk when I booked it.  Again, this was before COVID but it is always a risk with these sites.  We did have insurance and we have been able to move it to another cruise I just booked for January 2021.  Hopefully we will be able to go again to Alaska.  Just wanted to let everyone know that the vendors we booked with went out of their way to do the right thing, even if they didn't have to based on the unique circumstances we are all facing right now. 

• Like 2

We were booked with Jayleene's in Juneau and Snorkel Alaska in Ketchikan. Immediately got back our deposits. I was really impressed and sure hope they can stay in business for next year! We also got a future credit from Travel Guard for our trip insurance. The only deposits we haven't received yet is from Princess, but then, they have so many more deposits to process.

• Like 1

I had an excursion with Harv and Marv booked and they said they were not processing refunds but I had already rebooked another cruise so they transferred our reservation the new date and time.  No sweat.  I imagine that prices for next cruise season will be higher in part to make up for no season this year.  So I take that as a win.  

1 hour ago, LadyMac72 said:

I had an excursion with Harv and Marv booked and they said they were not processing refunds but I had already rebooked another cruise so they transferred our reservation the new date and time.  No sweat.  I imagine that prices for next cruise season will be higher in part to make up for no season this year.  So I take that as a win.  

Glad to hear that you were able to transfer your reservation.  However, surprised to hear that H&M would not process refunds. 

Here is what they stated:

"If you plan to come to Alaska in the future, please consider keeping your credit on file, we will re-book as soon as you know your arrival date and guarantee 2020 pricing! If you keep your credit on file and end finding out you are not able to come to Alaska, we will refund in full up to the day of your tour based on the information below.

We can also apply your credit to a gift card that can be gifted to someone or used again by you on a future trip to Juneau.

We are not currently able to process any refunds; We are waiting for the Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loan approval – all refunds at this time are contingent on this funding. Alaska is last on the list and only 8 loans have been approved for the state at this time.

Please know that our sincere intentions are to honor all requests for refunds as soon as we are able. "

So I guess it was not a matter of they would not issue refunds, it's that they couldn't do it yet.  Since I had rebooked it was a non-issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

"If you plan to come to Alaska in the future, please consider keeping your credit on file, we will re-book as soon as you know your arrival date and guarantee 2020 pricing! If you keep your credit on file and end finding out you are not able to come to Alaska, we will refund in full up to the day of your tour based on the information below.

We can also apply your credit to a gift card that can be gifted to someone or used again by you on a future trip to Juneau.

We are not currently able to process any refunds; We are waiting for the Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loan approval – all refunds at this time are contingent on this funding. Alaska is last on the list and only 8 loans have been approved for the state at this time.

Please know that our sincere intentions are to honor all requests for refunds as soon as we are able. "

So I guess it was not a matter of they would not issue refunds, it's that they couldn't do it yet.  Since I had rebooked it was a non-issue.

Thanks for the clarification, I have a better understanding of situation.

We had a mixed response from vendors—some refunded promptly while a couple didn’t. One company we were using for a post-cruise transfer to Anchorage begged us not to get a refund.  Claimed our $360 would bankrupt them, cause Alaskans to lose jobs and their family to lose their home.

While I’m sympathetic to their financial plight, the tenor and tone of the email bothered me.  My cancellation request was within their company ‘s refund policy.  I should have received my money.  I only prepaid because I could get all of my money back within a two week cancellation period.

I waited a few days before responding.  We have two cruises scheduled for next summer.  I just got a “never expire” voucher and a 20% off coupon to use then.  May or may not, though.  We’ll see.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:51 AM, LadyMac72 said:

I put mine on hold for next year.  I will get there one way or another