Private Islands - is one preferred over the other?

cellfree

Half Moon Cay is owned and operated by Holland America. Princess Cays is operated by Princess. Both existed before Princess and HAL became part of Carnival.

The "which is best question " is asked here frequently. Half Moon Cay wins every time.

• Like 1

CruiserBruce, thank you, asked this on the Carnival “Board” and it was moved to this Board before I could blink. Happy to get a response. Because my question was particular to Carnival I presumed that was where I could post it. Apparently not. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Half Moon Cay is an excellent beach port stop.  There isn't anything wrong with Princess Cays as far as I am concerned.  Half Moon Cay has the "I Can Stay Here Forever" bar that overlooks a beautiful stretch of the beach and sea.  That is my absolute best reason for visiting Half Moon Cay!

However, my visit in January, 2020 to Ocean Cay, the private island of MSC, has the potential to put both Princess Cays and Half Moon Cay in the rear view mirror.  Still under development when I was there, I was very impressed.  If MSC has been able to continue the island's development during the pandemic, the HAL and Princess private islands are going to have some very serious competition for the "best of the private islands".  

• Like 1

Half Moon Cay is, as of right now, my favorite private island. A big reason is because it still has that rugged, unspoiled feel to it. And the crescent shaped main beach is breath taking.

Other private destinations like Coco Cay, Castaway Cay and Labadee feel a bit too developed for my taste. I’ll be visiting Ocean Cay in a few weeks. We’ll see how that one ranks! 

On 7/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, Tapi said:

I’ll be visiting Ocean Cay in a few weeks. We’ll see how that one ranks! 

I hope you return to this thread and post your opinion.  Not knowing what MSC has done with Ocean Cay since January, 2020, but being aware of their future plans, now might be a more enjoyable time for you to visit than sometime in the future.  (I say this after reading your post.)  

When you get to Ocean Cay, try to get a golf cart tour of the entire island.  If you are in Yacht Club, most certainly take advantage of the YC facilities and beach that is available for YC guests.