Booking is in Canadian $?

phabric

I have my booking in CDN $.  I purchased my excursions.  I thought the excursion price was in CDN$ when I went to check my credit card the excursion amount was converted to US$.

When I purchase OBC online, Princess has already converted the price for example $100 US to $130 CDN and I pay $130.  

Has anybody found that excursions, and onboard services (other than OBC) are in US$?

The only part of the cruise that is actually cdn is the cruise fare. The excursions are priced in usd.  Your obc will also be usd. It is posted on the excurrsion  decrption what currency is used.also when you go to pay it is listed there. You can use obc as long as it is posted to your account prior to the cruise.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I have my booking in CDN $.  I purchased my excursions.  I thought the excursion price was in CDN$ when I went to check my credit card the excursion amount was converted to US$.

When I purchase OBC online, Princess has already converted the price for example $100 US to $130 CDN and I pay $130.  

Has anybody found that excursions, and onboard services (other than OBC) are in US$?

Yes , always 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phabric said:

Yes, this is the case.  By the way if Princess is only charging at 30% exchange rate, for OBC that is a great rate.

Yes, Excursions are always in USD whereas everything else in the personalizer (that I can think of) is paid for in CAD.  This is why I purchase USD OBC through the personalizer in CAD and then use that to pay for my Excursions.  This way I'm not getting dinged by the (typically bad) exchange rate and processing fee on my credit card and if I want to cancel or change excursions the amount paid goes back into my OBC.  If I cancel my OBC then I get CAD in the exact amount I paid.  It's much easier to do this rather then worrying about exchange rates and if the current rate is better or worse then you booked at.

Perfect example I had a Carnival cruise booked for later this year that I had pre-paid excursion on and Carnival makes you pay in USD.  When the cruise was cancelled I received the refund for my excursions but because the exchange rate had changed I actually ended losing over $100 on them.

Now whether you want to front he money right now to pre-book excursions, that's a whole different conversation.

1 hour ago, jpom18 said:

Yes, Excursions are always in USD whereas everything else in the personalizer (that I can think of) is paid for in CAD.  This is why I purchase USD OBC through the personalizer in CAD and then use that to pay for my Excursions.  This way I'm not getting dinged by the (typically bad) exchange rate and processing fee on my credit card and if I want to cancel or change excursions the amount paid goes back into my OBC.  If I cancel my OBC then I get CAD in the exact amount I paid.  It's much easier to do this rather then worrying about exchange rates and if the current rate is better or worse then you booked at.

One time, I had purchased OBC under Onboard Services at a good rate, thinking I can use to purchase excursions online.  I was told by Princess that Onboard Services OBC could not be used until on the ship. 

I always purchase Onboard Services OBC usually it is cheaper than the bank.

3 hours ago, juniper berries said:

The only part of the cruise that is actually cdn is the cruise fare. The excursions are priced in usd.  Your obc will also be usd. It is posted on the excurrsion  decrption what currency is used.also when you go to pay it is listed there. You can use obc as long as it is posted to your account prior to the cruise.

Hope this helps.

I never noticed in small print it states in US$, thanks

18 minutes ago, phabric said:

One time, I had purchased OBC under Onboard Services at a good rate, thinking I can use to purchase excursions online.  I was told by Princess that Onboard Services OBC could not be used until on the ship. 

I always purchase Onboard Services OBC usually it is cheaper than the bank.

Yeah, when Princess first started the Prepay policy for Excursions they didn't allow you to use purchased OBC to pay for the excursions however that was changed after a bit (few months), likely due to complaints.  For us dealing with exchange rates it does make it much easier especially since, as you say, the OBC rate is typically much better then the bank.  I have pre-paid for my excursions online using combinations of promotional OBC and Purchased OBC on every cruise I have been on over the past few years (since Princess started the Prepay policy. 

Edited by jpom18

Canadian as well.  Excursions are quite clearly marked to be in $USD.

OBC is also,purchased in $USD units converted to $CAD at your exchange rate which is fixed by Princess on your booking date which can be quite favourable for us at times.  We once purchased $400 OBC at $1.25 when the exchange rate was about $1.34.