Carnival Is Giving Crew Members $500 Financial Assistance During Shutdown, Should Royal Do The Same Thing?

I just talked to a Carnival crew member that received a one time $500 assistance payment to alleviate their hardship during the shutdown.  Do you think Royal Caribbean should do the same thing?

7 minutes ago, julesbeara said:

I just talked to a Carnival crew member that received a one time $500 assistance payment to alleviate their hardship during the shutdown.  Do you think Royal Caribbean should do the same thing?

I kind of think they did. I seem to recall $400 mentioned some time ago

• Like 1

Many hospitality and tourism companies that are privately held had this to offer to those laid off or with even reduced salary.

While the $500 is not excessively generous, many of these players are now coming with the second round of money being released by the foundations formed with the crisis. Often those affected are low income employees to start with. 

The programs were already in place and just had to be activated for the foundation management company to start the process of releasing funds to  those affected. Applications with bills or payments attached qualified the first time and for the second dispersion a new application was not necessary for many. 

A one time payment of $400 was given to Royal crew members that were stuck onboard in April.  Crew members that have had their contracts delayed due to the shutdown have received zero assistance from Royal Caribbean.  (They do not have a Hardship Fund available or Emergency Funds available, or it is not been communicated to many crew members 😒).

Here is the article:

Once again Royal Caribbean has proven that the company truly cares about the shipboard employees. Even in these difficult times for all, the company decided each crew member to receive a $400 goodwill pay. In a letter distributed among Royal Caribbean crew members who are still aboard the ships the company said the selected crew are entitled to financial support.

“We recognize that financial stress can be a reality for many during this uncertainty, so we are pleased to let you know that we are granting you a one-time goodwill payment of up to US$400 over the next 30 days. Starting April 25, and calculated daily, you will be granted up to $400 USD paid for a maximum of 30 days or until you sign off the ship, whichever occurs first. This payment is not calculated based on your regular wages since your contract have concluded and you are in a non-working capacity on the ship.

We hope this gesture demonstrates how much we deeply appreciate all that you have endured, and we look forward to the day soon where we are back together and doing what we do best - providing great vacation experience to our guests."

6 hours ago, julesbeara said:

Crew members that have had their contracts delayed due to the shutdown have received zero assistance from Royal Caribbean.  (They do not have a Hardship Fund available or Emergency Funds available, or it is not been communicated to many crew members 😒).

That's funny, because I'm a crew member who had my contract delayed/cancelled due to the shutdown. 

Every week (this week it has started every other week) I, and all crew have had a newsletter from the company. Every newsletter has mentioned the hardship, emergency and education funds that crew can apply for... 🤔

If a crew member doesn't read/recieve/put the contents of those newsletters all over the internet and because they're not mentioned in an article from, March/April?, doesn't meant they dont exist 😒

41 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

That's funny, because I'm a crew member who had my contract delayed/cancelled due to the shutdown. 

Every week (this week it has started every other week) I, and all crew have had a newsletter from the company. Every newsletter has mentioned the hardship, emergency and education funds that crew can apply for... 🤔

If a crew member doesn't read/recieve/put the contents of those newsletters all over the internet and because they're not mentioned in an article from, March/April?, doesn't meant they dont exist 😒

Thank you for enlightening everyone.  I wouldn’t begin to judge or speculate what is happening between a corporation and their employees from my couch.

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, GarlicBread said:

I'm curious about the Emergency and/or Hardship Fund?  Are there stipulations of what needs to happen in order to receive a payment?  Can it be used to obtain payment to pay bills, buy food, and survive during the shutdown?

Can you share a link to this Crew Newsletter?