Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. I'll assume that's an automatic spell checker at work here that came up with "Lost".

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. I'll assume that's an automatic spell checker at work here that came up with "Lost".

Could be. Or it could be that I hadn't yet had any coffee.

• Haha 1

Since we've started a new browser page, I'll bring our latest Christmas port name word game forward, indicating the answers for those that have been solved so far.

Elf (1)

Fun (1) = Funchal, Madeira

Pie (1)

Cook (1)

Dine (1)

Drum (1)

Sale (1)

Altar (1)

Angel (1) = Los Angeles, California

Carol (1)

Green (1) = Greenock, Scotland

Christ (1) = Christchurch, New Zealand

Eve (2)
Tag (2)

Mass (2) = Limassol, Cyprus & Boston, Massachusetts

Sing (2) = Singapore & Helsingor, Denmark

Hen (3)

Aria (3)

Rang (3)

Santa (4)

Pick one of these words per day and tell me all the Cunard ports for the current fleet that contain that word somewhere within their complete port names.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I used the lyrics to "The Twelve Days of Christmas" to come up with Hen (Three French Hens) and Drum (Twelve Drummers Drumming). "The Little Drummer Boy" could also have been the inspiration for Drum. I tried to find the word Ring (Five Golden Rings) in a port name without success so I fell back on Rang, the past tense of the verb Ring instead, as in "Ring Christmas Bells".

15 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

There's Ringaskiddy, we called there on QM2 in 2015.

Very good. I should have remembered Ringaskiddy. It's on QV's 2021 British Isles itinerary. It's not on my past itineraries though. The one I have for QM2 from 2015 shows Cobh. Looks like another correction is in order for my itineraries.

Santarém 

Santa Marguerita

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Santa Cruz de la Palma

Admission to cheating a little by resorting to looking at world voyage itineraries to come up with Santarém which l now know is in Brazil.

l see Santander is listed for a Queen Victoria voyage so a future fifth answer maybe?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Santarém 

Santa Marguerita

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Santa Cruz de la Palma

Admission to cheating a little by resorting to looking at world voyage itineraries to come up with Santarém which l now know is in Brazil.

l see Santander is listed for a Queen Victoria voyage so a future fifth answer maybe?

Well done. Yes, Santarém, Brazil was probably the hardest of the four "Santa" ports to find. No cheating involved in checking world voyage itineraries. As I mentioned in another post near the beginning of this thread, that's "research".

I should mention the correct spelling for "Santa Margherita", similar to what happened with that port name in our anagram word game. Kudos for noticing Santander, Spain is on QV's 2022 Atlantic Coast and Iberia itinerary as a potential future fifth "Santa" port.

Edited by bluemarble

27 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. I have it spelled as "Rarotonga", but the "Cook Islands" part is what really matters here.

My phone was determined to post something completely different, it's amazing I got that close ! Yes, it should have been Rarotonga

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well done. Yes, Santarém, Brazil was probably the hardest of the four "Santa" ports to find. No cheating involved in checking world voyage itineraries. As I mentioned in another post near the beginning of this thread, that's "research".

I should mention the correct spelling for "Santa Margherita", similar to what happened with that port name in our anagram word game. Kudos for noticing Santander, Spain is on QV's 2022 Atlantic Coast and Iberia itinerary as a potential future fifth "Santa" port.

My apologies, l blame predictive text it changed the final a to an e which l corrected and confess l didn’t pick up it had generated another error. 

I'll have a go today at "hen".  I can only think of two confirmed ports of the three that @bluemarble indicates:

Gothenburg, Sweden

Chennai, India

I have several candidates for the third.  One is:

Ghent, Belgium

Ghent is nearby to Bruges, but is more of a river port than a Cunard ocean port.   Another "stretch" possibility are the various Italian ports on the Rome side of Italy, like Civitavecchia, Naples, and Livorno.  These Med ports are all on the:

Tyrrhenian Sea

And the last possibility is one that I'm fairly certain Cunard has never been to, although the ships have all been very close when in Hong Kong.  This is:

Shenzhen, China

which offers two hens for the price of one port.

@bluemarble - any clues for what you identified as the third "hen" port?

Edited by sfred

@sfred, you have correctly identified two of the three "hen" ports on my list with Gothenburg, Sweden and Chennai, India. The third of my "hen" ports hinges on my statement that you can use "the major city served by the port". Give it another try to come up with one of the world's major cities which is only about 10km from its cruise port and sometimes appears on Cunard itineraries as if it were the cruise port.

• Like 1