Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

35 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

No we haven't had California yet. Do tell me more about the Cunard ship named California. One mention I see on the Cunard Line wikipedia page is that the 1920 Albania was renamed California after being sold to Libera Triestina in 1930.

My Cunard book mentions a ship named California. Built in Glasgow.

Maiden voyage 1907. Launched in partnership with the Anchor Line. Torpedoed in 1917 off Ireland and sank in seven minutes. The Captain went down with the ship but was blown to the surface by an explosion and survived. 😲

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

My Cunard book mentions a ship named California. Built in Glasgow.

Maiden voyage 1907. Launched in partnership with the Anchor Line. Torpedoed in 1917 off Ireland and sank in seven minutes. The Captain went down with the ship but was blown to the surface by an explosion and survived. 😲

Thank you. I can find no mention of it in mine, even though it includes all sorts of things that you wouldn't think of as anything much to do with Cunard. She does however figure in my book of shipwrecks. I suppose it depends if Anchor Line counts as Cunard, which it mainly seems to.

Edited by exlondoner
Completeness

Today I'll add Scotia which I've always thought of as Scotland. But now I'm given to understand Scotia can refer to both Scotland and Ireland.

There was also a Cunard ship named Cambria which refers to Wales. Has a Cunard ship ever called at a port in Wales? It seems likely to have occurred at some point in the past, but there aren't any current Cunard ports in Wales.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, bluemarble said:

Today I'll add Scotia which I've always thought of as Scotland. But now I'm given to understand Scotia can refer to both Scotland and Ireland.

There was also a Cunard ship named Cambria which refers to Wales. Has a Cunard ship ever called at a port in Wales? It seems likely to have occurred at some point in the past, but there aren't any current Cunard ports in Wales.

I did a search of the Wales museum online database and found one entry that says the Lusitania and Mauretania were at Fishguard (Pembrokeshire) starting in 1909.

Pictures are shown at:

https://museum.wales/collections/online/object/d1161ee8-9790-3412-a8ef-d5fca0631c59/Cunard-Line-ships-at-Fishguard-1908-9-photograph-album/?field0=string&value0=criccieth&field1=with_images&value1=on&sort=relevance

Edited by ExArkie
corrections
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And wasn't much impressed, I believe.

I believe it was Dickens' voyage on RMS Britannia in 1842 from Liverpool to Boston which we hear the most about as being viewed unfavorably by him. In his book American Notes, he describes their cabin as "this utterly impracticable, thoroughly hopeless, and profoundly preposterous box". He also describes the ship as "not unlike a gigantic hearse with windows in the sides" and their berths as "nothing smaller for sleeping in was ever made except coffins". The rough seas they encountered on that voyage didn't help either.

Dickens seems to have had a better experience returning from New York to Liverpool on SS Russia in 1867. In his book The Uncommercial Traveller, he notes "Of all the good ships afloat, mine was the good steamship ‘Russia,’ Capt. Cook, Cunard Line, bound for Liverpool.  What more could I wish for?" He also states "The ship was fragrant with flowers. ... These delicious scents of the shore, mingling with the fresh airs of the sea, made the atmosphere a dreamy, an enchanting one."

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I believe it was Dickens' voyage on RMS Britannia in 1842 from Liverpool to Boston which we hear the most about as being viewed unfavorably by him. In his book American Notes, he describes their cabin as "this utterly impracticable, thoroughly hopeless, and profoundly preposterous box". He also describes the ship as "not unlike a gigantic hearse with windows in the sides" and their berths as "nothing smaller for sleeping in was ever made except coffins". The rough seas they encountered on that voyage didn't help either.

Dickens seems to have had a better experience returning from New York to Liverpool on SS Russia in 1867. In his book The Uncommercial Traveller, he notes "Of all the good ships afloat, mine was the good steamship ‘Russia,’ Capt. Cook, Cunard Line, bound for Liverpool.  What more could I wish for?" He also states "The ship was fragrant with flowers. ... These delicious scents of the shore, mingling with the fresh airs of the sea, made the atmosphere a dreamy, an enchanting one."

Thank you for this, it is fascinating. Obviously, it was the earlier voyage I was thinking about. I'm surprised he sailed with Cunard again after that.

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

... Is it a port on Med. Cruises?

Cephalonia, Greece is indeed a Cunard port for Mediterranean cruises. I count a total of 11 calls there by QE and QV from an examination of their itineraries. Unfortunately it hasn't made our list of ports featured on this thread yet since no one has posted a photo of one of the Cunard ships at Cephalonia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Cephalonia, Greece is indeed a Cunard port for Mediterranean cruises. I count a total of 11 calls there by QE and QV from an examination of their itineraries. Unfortunately it hasn't made our list of ports featured on this thread yet since no one has posted a photo of one of the Cunard ships at Cephalonia.

And I've missed it every time. I would gladly swap yet another call at Barcelona or Civitavecchia or Catania for it.

After adding Russia yesterday, I'll add China today. SS China's maiden voyage was in 1862 on Cunard's Liverpool - New York route. I see she was used as a Zulu War transport in 1879, sold in 1880 and lost at sea in 1906 somewhere between Tampa and Yokohama.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Columbia (built in Greenock, maiden 1841. Wrecked in 1843 off Nova Scotia. Passengers, crew & mail all rescued).

Which port visited by a Cunard ship would you say qualifies as being in Columbia?

I know of QE's planned call to Astoria, Oregon earlier this year which would have qualified as a visit to the Columbia region of the American Northwest, but that call was part of QE's cancelled 2020 Alaska schedule. I do see Astoria still has a port page on the Cunard website, so that's probably good enough for our purposes here.

There are quite a few other interpretations for what "Columbia" could mean as a destination (including perhaps referring to the country of Colombia or the Canadian province of British Columbia, I suppose), so I'm interested to hear your thoughts about that.