Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

QE was due to call at Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (16 letters and a hyphen) last May, which I assume didn't happen. Has any of the others been there?

I'm not seeing that in the itineraries I have for the current Cunard fleet.

A few online itineraries list Korsakov, Russia (the port for Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk) as a port of call on QE's May 2019 voyage from Tokyo to Vancouver (Q915). But I don't know if that actually happened since other sites as well as Cunard's brochures list Sapporo, Japan instead of Korsakov for that voyage.

12 hours ago, sfred said:

In Europe, the record at 58 letters appears to be

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

on the Isle of Anglesey, Wales

11 hours ago, groryjm said:

Ah ...you mean the little Welsh town of "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave"

That's the one!! 

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I believe the latter part of the name was an invention of the LNWR railway company, ever alert for publicity possibilities.

Wikipedia has a photo of the rail station sign.  I hope they got the spelling correct!  🙂

250px-Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndr

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm not seeing that in the itineraries I have for the current Cunard fleet.

A few online itineraries list Korsakov, Russia (the port for Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk) as a port of call on QE's May 2019 voyage from Tokyo to Vancouver (Q915). But I don't know if that actually happened since other sites as well as Cunard's brochures list Sapporo, Japan instead of Korsakov for that voyage.

As @exlondonermentioned, QE was going to call at Korsakov on their transpacific crossing in 2020 after leaving Japan for Alaska.  Unfortunately cancelled.  I remember noticing the port in Cunard's brochures, which would have been a maiden call and an unusual interesting stop.  Korsakov was not on the itinerary for Q915 in 2019, which after leaving Tokyo stopped at Aomori and Mururan (for Sapporo) in Japan, and then went across to Kodiak to begin the Alaska 2019 season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, Host Hattie said:

There's not much to go on but I think this is a new port

PA271309.JPG

Do you have any hint for us, Hattie?

I am not even able to identify what kind of buildings / ships / tools / ??? can be seen on the photo.

I don't have any other photos of the port area, I'll see if I can find any of the town.

It was a change to the itinerary, we booked late so we were aware of the call but there was some complaining from passengers who had originally booked for an overnight in our final port.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't have any other photos of the port area, I'll see if I can find any of the town.

It was a change to the itinerary, we booked late so we were aware of the call but there was some complaining from passengers who had originally booked for an overnight in our final port.

OK, I think that gives me just enough to go on. I'm going to say that's Ravenna, Italy.

I found a Cruise Critic cruise review for your October 2013 cruise on QE that mentions the originally planned overnight in Venice at the end of the cruise was changed to a call at Ravenna instead. And I've found an online Ravenna port photo that's at least an approximate match to your photo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I think that gives me just enough to go on. I'm going to say that's Ravenna, Italy.

I found a Cruise Critic cruise review for your October 2013 cruise on QE that mentions the originally planned overnight in Venice at the end of the cruise was changed to a call at Ravenna instead. And I've found an online Ravenna port photo that's at least an approximate match to your photo.

I thought that would be enough for you to find the answer. It was Ravenna, nothing in the port area but the town was well worth the visit. The mosaics are beautiful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

75. Could this be Port Mahon? Have they been to Menorca?

Well done. Yes, that's Port Mahon. That was a tricky one since there has been only one scheduled call to Port Mahon by the current Cunard fleet that I see in the itineraries. That was by QV in June 2018. It was also a tricky one because, while it is specifically listed as "Port Mahon, Spain" in various online travel agent itineraries, it's only listed as "Menorca, Spain" in the Cunard brochures.

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Blue Marble, it is about 8.15 here, so it must be about 2.15 in Iowa. Can I ask when do you sleep? None of my business of course, but I am fascinated. 😀

I manage to get a few hours of sleep in between checking in on Cruise Critic. 🙂

I'm heading back to bed now before I post one final round of anagrams later today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I manage to get a few hours of sleep in between checking in on Cruise Critic. 🙂

It is rather addictive, isn't it?  Particularly in the current situation when none of us can be aboard our favourite ships on the open sea, and can only reminisce vicariously from our mutual experiences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfred said:

It is rather addictive, isn't it?  Particularly in the current situation when none of us can be aboard our favourite ships on the open sea, and can only reminisce vicariously from our mutual experiences.

I must say I solved Port Mahon during a moment of wakefulness in the night, but didn't feel moved to do anything about it until this morning.

As promised, to wrap up our port name anagrams game, here's a final round of 20 more to bring the total count to an even 100.

Once again there are some short names here that should be trivial/easy. This list includes some of the most visited ports that we haven't seen in earlier rounds but there are a few obscure/rarely visited ports on this list as well.

The last one on this list is particularly interesting since it manages to incorporate the word "Anagram" within the anagram itself. It's also one I previously overlooked as a potential runner-up for the longest Cunard port name at 21 letters (without spaces) since this is the full name of the town, not the shorter version listed in the itineraries I have been using.

As usual, please pick one of these to solve per day. You're welcome to answer if you solved one today from the previous round.

Cunard Port Name Anagrams (Round 8)
81.  Solo
82.  Pages
83.  Inward
84.  Upraise
85.  Scariest
86.  Red Novel
87.  Vast Horn
88.  Anvil Ace
89.  Deal Idea
90.  Plover Oil
91.  Sunny Dale