Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, I believe the spelling for 64 is correct. I double checked it now just to be sure. It is a rare Cunard port though, only appearing twice on the scheduled itineraries I have. It has not been mentioned on this thread yet.

Puerto Caldera

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2020 at 4:26 AM, carlmm said:

Where in the world?

DSC06272 (2).JPG

On 11/3/2020 at 4:28 AM, carlmm said:

A little bit more to see that day.

DSC06277 (2).JPG

On 11/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, bluemarble said:

I think these photos from @carlmm remain unidentified after a week. Perhaps it's time for a hint?

On 11/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, carlmm said:

Even our Cunard organized tour was done by taxi.  Well, at least for cruise ship passengers they won't need anything else on a regular basis when  maybe two ships or so  call each year.

Before I post my next round of anagrams, I'd like to revive these photos from @carlmm  to see if we can finally identify this location. I've had a theory for quite some time as to what this location is, but have not been able to find any online photos that do more than give just a general impression of the place.

To help me determine if I'm on the right track, is there a special day which happens to be coming up next week which might be of some significance to this location, based on its name?

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

To help me determine if I'm on the right track, is there a special day which happens to be coming up next week which might be of some significance to this location, based on its name?

😉 You are on the right track. 😇 I already thought about asking the Scotish friends. 

38 minutes ago, carlmm said:

😉 You are on the right track. 😇 I already thought about asking the Scotish friends. 

OK, I'm going with San Andrés Island. That was another port stop on your Fort Lauderdale-Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa cruise on Caronia, so that's what got me looking at it in the first place. And St. Andrew's Day is coming up one week from today on November 30th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'm going with San Andrés Island. That was another port stop on your Fort Lauderdale-Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa cruise on Caronia, so that's what got me looking at it in the first place. And St. Andrew's Day is coming up one week from today on November 30th.

Perfect! 

San Andres!

Just one more of the nice smaller ports not accessible by the current fleet.

• Like 1

Before I spend too much more time trying to identify the latest cruise port photos, here's the next round of port name anagrams. There are quite a few short names here, but there are also one or two ports that we haven't seen mentioned on this thread yet.

Please pick one of these to solve per day. You're welcome to answer even if you've already solved one earlier today from the previous round.

Cunard Port Name Anagrams (Round 7)
66.  Like
67.  Arouse
68.  In Cars
69.  Land Use
70.  Her Vale
71.  Darn Sea
72.  Thin Loam
73.  See Gallons
74.  A Pale Kid
75.  Hop On Tram
76.  A Rosy Town
77.  Go Plan Trek
78.  Hence No Gap
79.  A Zaniest Rain
80.  Always Did Shut Inns

I have amazed myself for seeing this solution, as it is far too many letters for my head to usually get across.  But there it is...

80  Whitsunday Islands  (aka Airlie Beach)

Which leads to me to another thought...  Is this the longest Cunard port name, at 17 letters?  Any others the same, or longer?  I'll do some research later tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sfred said:

I have amazed myself for seeing this solution, as it is far too many letters for my head to usually get across.  But there it is...

80  Whitsunday Islands  (aka Airlie Beach)

Which leads to me to another thought...  Is this the longest Cunard port name, at 17 letters?  Any others the same, or longer?  I'll do some research later tonight or tomorrow.

@sfred, I'm glad to see you discovered the other Australian port name in this round.

Here are the port names with the most letters (not counting spaces) I'm seeing listed in the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria  (22 letters)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife  (19 letters)

Santa Cruz de La Palma  (18 letters)

If you discount those "de" ports because they include both the city and the island in the full port name, then here are a couple more port names I'm seeing which tie Whitsunday Islands at 17 letters.

Newcastle upon Tyne

Bandar Seri Begawan

Another Australian port gets honorable mention as a sail-by call, also with 17 letters.

Wilsons Promontory

If we stretch the premise quite a bit, here's another sail-by call listed in the itineraries that's 21 letters.

International Date Line

Of course I may have missed some longer port names. Let me know if you find any others.

• Like 1

Thanks @bluemarble.  My research found the same ports as you.  Both Las Palmas de Gran Canaria  at 22 letters and Santa Cruz de Tenerife at 19 are officially named as such, so I think these two might be the winner and runner-up for Cunard ports with the longest names.

If QE makes it back to Australia/NZ one day, perhaps she might visit

Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu

on the North Island east coast of New Zealand.  According to Wikipedia, It holds the Guinness world record for world's longest place name, at 85 letters.

In Europe, the record at 58 letters appears to be

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

on the Isle of Anglesey, Wales

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, sfred said:

In Europe, the record at 58 letters appears to be

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

on the Isle of Anglesey, Wales

Ah ...you mean the little Welsh town of "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, groryjm said:

Ah ...you mean the little Welsh town of "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave"

I believe the latter part of the name was an invention of the LNWR railway company, ever alert for publicity possibilities.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred, I'm glad to see you discovered the other Australian port name in this round.

Here are the port names with the most letters (not counting spaces) I'm seeing listed in the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria  (22 letters)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife  (19 letters)

Santa Cruz de La Palma  (18 letters)

If you discount those "de" ports because they include both the city and the island in the full port name, then here are a couple more port names I'm seeing which tie Whitsunday Islands at 17 letters.

Newcastle upon Tyne

Bandar Seri Begawan

Another Australian port gets honorable mention as a sail-by call, also with 17 letters.

Wilsons Promontory

If we stretch the premise quite a bit, here's another sail-by call listed in the itineraries that's 21 letters.

International Date Line

Of course I may have missed some longer port names. Let me know if you find any others.

QE was due to call at Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (16 letters and a hyphen) last May, which I assume didn't happen. Has any of the others been there?