Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

OK, Mr. Mule Rabble has to share this gem a friend just sent him. It has nothing to do with Cunard, but it's marginally related to some of the port name word games we have been playing on this thread, especially that self-referential anagram containing the word anagram.

What does a thesaurus eat for breakfast?

(wait for it)

A synonym roll.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I don't know if this is a subscription-only page (I am a subscriber, so it showed it to me regardless), but the article is here: https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/23/nyregion/a-queen-arrives-and-even-in-jaded-new-york-jaws-drop.html

Great article, thank you for posting.

We've previously discussed the Cunard cruise ports that are northernmost, southernmost, and closest to the equator. Now let's see if we can determine which cruise ports, visited by the current Cunard fleet, are the easternmost and westernmost ports.

Since the terms easternmost and westernmost don't have natural definitions the way northernmost and southernmost do, I'll need to explain what I mean. By easternmost, I mean the port with an eastern longitude closest to 180 degrees and by westernmost, I mean the port with a western longitude closest to 180 degrees. In other words, I'm looking for the ports (visited by any of the current Cunard fleet) with the largest values for their eastern longitude and western longitude respectively.

I'm not certain I know the answers, but I do have two candidate ports in mind. Let's see what ports you come up with. I'm off to bed so discuss among yourselves here and I'll rejoin the discussion in about eight hours.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

We've previously discussed the Cunard cruise ports that are northernmost, southernmost, and closest to the equator. Now let's see if we can determine which cruise ports, visited by the current Cunard fleet, are the easternmost and westernmost ports.

My entry for easternmost: Suva at 178°45

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

My entry for easternmost: Suva at 178°45

Suva, Fiji is the same port I came up with as the easternmost port.

The port I've come up with as the westernmost port is greater than 170° west longitude. Not quite as far west as Suva is east at 178.45° though.

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I wondered about places with the names of former Cunard ships that are visited by Cunard ships. An obvious easy one: Lusitania (basically Portugal).

That's a good one! My contribution for today is Mauretania which encompassed parts of the Mediterranean coast of Africa including the portion of modern-day Morocco where the port of Tangier is located.

Edited by bluemarble

White Star Line had a "Zealandic" from 1911 to 1926.  Although it wasn't "New Zealandic", her maiden voyage was to Wellington NZ.

Unfortunately no "Australia-ic" or "Austral-ia" that I'm aware of....

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, sfred said:

White Star Line had a "Zealandic" from 1911 to 1926.  Although it wasn't "New Zealandic", her maiden voyage was to Wellington NZ.

Unfortunately no "Australia-ic" or "Austral-ia" that I'm aware of....

In the 1850s, there were two Australians, and, in 1869, an Australasian, if you would like those.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In the 1850s, there were two Australians, and, in 1869, an Australasian, if you would like those.

Good catch, thanks @exlondoner.  I see Australasian in the wikipedia list for Cunard, a huge 2,700 GRT, built 1857.  But wikipedia is missing the 1850s Australians.    

I have the small Cunard book (bought onboard) titled The Fleet 1840-2010. Cunard's flagships and floating palaces from the earliest days of steam to Queen Elizabeth

It has Australasian

Gross tonnage 2,902

Builder J&G Thomson, Glasgow

Maiden voyage 1860

Bought by Cunard in 1859 who retained her unwieldy name until 1870 when renamed Calabria after refit to accommodate 900 emigrants. Sold in 1876, ending days as a telegraph cable laying ship. Scrapped in 1898.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Wikipedia tells me that there was an SS Albania in the fleet in the 1920's.

Albania bought by Cunard in 1911. Scrapped in 1930 as not up to standard.

Albania II: maiden voyage 1925

7 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I have the small Cunard book (bought onboard) titled The Fleet 1840-2010. Cunard's flagships and floating palaces from the earliest days of steam to Queen Elizabeth

It has Australasian

Gross tonnage 2,902

Builder J&G Thomson, Glasgow

Maiden voyage 1860

Bought by Cunard in 1859 who retained her unwieldy name until 1870 when renamed Calabria after refit to accommodate 900 emigrants. Sold in 1876, ending days as a telegraph cable laying ship. Scrapped in 1898.

Adter I suggested this topic, I discovered I had a similar book, also bought on board, but quite large, called Cunard Line a Fleet History. I'm only using it to check though.

• Like 1

I fear all sorts of arcane pedantic complications are going to arise, as, for instance, is Liverpool able to be counted as in Lancashire? It's in Merseyside now, but, at the time Cunard had the ill- starred ship, I think it was in Lancashire, aka, in Latin, presumably, Lancastria.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I fear all sorts of arcane pedantic complications are going to arise, as, for instance, is Liverpool able to be counted as in Lancashire? It's in Merseyside now, but, at the time Cunard had the ill- starred ship, I think it was in Lancashire, aka, in Latin, presumably, Lancastria.

As I see it, this comes down to whether Liverpool has been historically included in the area known as Lancastria. I'm certainly no expert on English geography or history, but I'm finding documentation including old maps of Lancastria indicating at least the northern/eastern part of modern-day Merseyside, including Liverpool, was considered part of Lancastria. That suggests to me that Lancastria ought to count as a former Cunard ship named for a place visited by Cunard ships.

Edited by bluemarble

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

As I see it, this comes down to whether Liverpool has been historically included in the area known as Lancastria. I'm certainly no expert on English geography or history, but I'm finding documentation including old maps of Lancastria indicating at least the northern/eastern part of modern-day Merseyside, including Liverpool, was considered part of Lancastria. That suggests to me that Lancastria ought to count as a former Cunard ship named for a place visited by Cunard ships.

Well, that better be my choice for tomorrow. 😀