Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

I think we could use another contribution for today from some of our regulars (or anyone else for that matter). The way I see it, there are several dozen more candidates for former Cunard ships named for places visited by Cunard ships.

To review since we've started a new browser page of posts here, I think these are the names we've identified so far.

Lusitania

Mauretania

Albania

Caledonia

Zealandic

Australian

Australasian

Aquitania

Campania

Lancastria

Lancastria was Tyrrhenia in its previous incarnation. Cunard also had an Etruria and a Tuscania (I had to look the last up). All three refer to the Tuscany area of Italy, which I imagine includes Livorno. A triple whammy. 😀

Edited by exlondoner
Punctuation

Assuming that anything after 1840 counts as being a Cunard ship:

America

Wooden hull, paddle wheel, active 1848 - 1863 (couple years before I was born) The America class was replacement for the Britannia class of similar design and included the Africa (from the previous post).

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Caronia. Part of Sicily which, from memory, included Messina.

This is interesting. Wikipedia says of the original RMS Caronia (1904), "She was the only ship in the Cunard fleet to be named after an American, being named after Caro Brown, granddaughter of Cunard's New York agent."

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Just think what an opportunity Wallis Simpson missed. 😀

If there had been an "RMS Wallonia" that could have had us wondering about that name, couldn't it?

There's a Maritime Quest panel discussing Cunard ship names in one of the stairways on QM2. Does anyone else recall that panel mentioning something along the lines of no Cunard ship has had a name starting with "W", "X", "Y" or "Z"? That could have taken care of the "W" anyway.

45 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

If there had been an "RMS Wallonia" that could have had us wondering about that name, couldn't it?

There's a Maritime Quest panel discussing Cunard ship names in one of the stairways on QM2. Does anyone else recall that panel mentioning something along the lines of no Cunard ship has had a name starting with "W", "X", "Y" or "Z"? That could have taken care of the "W" anyway.

According to my book, they managed something called Westernland for the Ministry of Transport just after the war. Also various ships with names beginning with War.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

According to my book, they managed something called Westernland for the Ministry of Transport just after the war. Also various ships with names beginning with War.

Ah, thanks. That Maritime Quest panel may have only mentioned "X", "Y" and "Z" then. Can't say I recall precisely.

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

My book doesn't have any beginning with W.

Westernland was built for red Star Line.

I don't know if a Cunard ship has visited Algeria so I'll skip to Asia (the largest ship built on the Clyde before 1850)

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Have we had California yet? I'm losing track.

No we haven't had California yet. Do tell me more about the Cunard ship named California. One mention I see on the Cunard Line wikipedia page is that the 1920 Albania was renamed California after being sold to Libera Triestina in 1930.

15 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

No we haven't had California yet. Do tell me more about the Cunard ship named California. One mention I see on the Cunard Line wikipedia page is that the 1920 Albania was renamed California after being sold to Libera Triestina in 1930.

Yes, you are completely right. She wasn't California while a Cunarder. Sorry. I shall ponder anew. I don't think Lucania (=Puglia) is an area with Cunard ports.