End of cruise, Seward to Anchorage by rail.

Schlepporello

We're planning on doing a northbound cruise which will terminate in Seward, AK. I would like to take the train to Anchorage from the ship. From there, we are planning to rent a car and travel self-paced to Fairbanks. Where will the train drop us off at in Anchorage? The Airport Spur or the Depot?

Many thanks!

If you book a cruise line sponsored Seward to Anchorage early morning ARR trip (which you can only book, at least in the past, through cruise lines) you will be delivered to the Anchorage airport.  If you book the "regular" Seward to Anchorage early evening run you will be delivered to the Anchorage downtown ARR depot.

58 minutes ago, Schlepporello said:

OK, thanks! The airport is what we'll be shooting for.

No sure your reference but if considering giving a priority to the ship contracted train-  Think carefully about this idea.    This train leaves about 7am  and you would be missing Seward.    Frankly-  take a good look at the activities available there,  and especially if you have an interest in wildlife-  it's a mistake to just pass through as it is a top touring area.    Take advantage of Alaska when you're there.  

Be advised,  there aren't many vendors who have one way cars,  and rates may be more than what you are expecting.   (you can't make any comparison with the rates this year,  as they are grossly lower than typical)

It's no big deal,  getting from the Downtown RR depot to the airport.   

• Like 2

Thanks! Knowing where both locations in Anchorage are brings out the truck driver in me which sees the airport as being the better option as opposed to the depot. I'll check with the agency that I plan to rent from as well as look at the land tour packages again.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 55Division said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to book cruise ship contracted train without actually being on the cruise?  I would prefer to leave Seward early in the morning instead of waiting until  6pm for the Gold Star Coastal Classic.

I have never heard of anyone not booked on the cruise being able to book the cruise ship contracted train.  An acquaintance lived in Seward for a number of years, and during the years they lived there they would have loved to book the cruise contracted train to reach the Anchorage airport during the summer months.  While Seward has an airstrip, they don't have commercial air service so Seward residents fly out of Anchorage.  Hopefully someone has more recent information.

1 hour ago, 55Division said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to book cruise ship contracted train without actually being on the cruise?  I would prefer to leave Seward early in the morning instead of waiting until  6pm for the Gold Star Coastal Classic.

No. In the past you had to be on the cruise.    Besides.  I can’t even recall a time when it didn’t sell out.   Demand is more than supply.  

Me I’d never miss trips out to Kenai Fjords-   Only able to go out twice this week due to my short trip.  🤩🤩🤩

20 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’d never miss trips out to Kenai Fjords-

Kenai Fjords is special.  I have only had the opportunity to do the tour once (in 2019), but I'll do it again if I am able to do so.  

I have visited Seward during a few trips and I really think it is an overlooked Alaskan gem for many visitors.  

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Kenai Fjords is special.  I have only had the opportunity to do the tour once (in 2019), but I'll do it again if I am able to do so.  

I have visited Seward during a few trips and I really think it is an overlooked Alaskan gem for many visitors.  

Very common "mistake"  that is done in Seward and Whittier.   Reason why I always mention it and suggest looking further and taking -  advantage - of being there.    Many people don't get there often.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, katrina915 said:

I would highly recommend doing a wildlife/glacier day tour out of Seward.  I fell in love with the puffins there!  One of the best excursions in Alaska!

I agree- a top tour for varied wildlife and glacier viewing.   I just went out 2 more times within the past 2 weeks.      Thousands of puffins 🤩🤩.