Celebrity and me.

Himself

The real problem with comparisons based on one sailing of a cruise line is that the one consistent feature with mass market cruise lines is inconsistency.  

It is possible to have a fabulous cruise on one ship/one cruise line/one sailing and have a very ho hum experience on the same or indeed another ship/same cruise line.  Let alone ships of a different size or different age.

I have no doubt that there have been cruisers who have had very mediocre or poor cruises on Celebrity for whatever reason.  No doubt there are cruises who have had poor or very mediocre cruises on HAL, Princess...whatever.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, iancal said:

The real problem with comparisons based on one sailing of a cruise line is that the one consistent feature with mass market cruise lines is inconsistency.  

It is possible to have a fabulous cruise on one ship/one cruise line/one sailing and have a very ho hum experience on the same or indeed another ship/same cruise line.  Let alone ships of a different size or different age.

I have no doubt that there have been cruisers who have had very mediocre or poor cruises on Celebrity for whatever reason.  No doubt there are cruises who have had poor or very mediocre cruises on HAL, Princess...whatever.

That’s a very good point. Celebrity often has short cruises (Our 1st cruise with them was for 5 days) out of Florida, and the atmosphere and service were awful, far below HAL or any other ship I’d sailed. But a 15-day cruise on the same ship with a lot of sea days a few years later was a totally different and delightful experience.

We had exactly the same with HAL.   Print and email.  Incredible print material-more than any other cruise line.  In our names, in the names of the former home owners, in both of our names.

We hate junk mail...cruise mail, pizza flyers, windows, duct cleaning, real estate.  It is all the same to us.

Nothing worked.  Finally, after twelve years we moved and then had no firm address for a year.   End of the printed mail saga. 

Email is not an issue for us.  We can block it, delete it, whatever.  Saves us a trip from the mailbox to the our recycle bin.  We feel exactly the same about all of the junk mail that sometimes gets delivered to our cruise cabin mail slots.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We had exactly the same with HAL.   Print and email.  Incredible print material-more than any other cruise line.  In our names, in the names of the former home owners, in both of our names.

We got at least 1 flyer per week from HAL, for a good 4 years.  Once we sailed our first cruise, they significantly laid off.  Not sure if it was a marketing change coincidence, or if they figured we'd bitten the hook.

20 hours ago, iancal said:

It is possible to have a fabulous cruise on one ship/one cruise line/one sailing and have a very ho hum experience on the same or indeed another ship/same cruise line. 

So very true!  One of my most enjoyable cruises was on the Noordam; had two, in fact.  The next one:  (had to be a 21 day cruise)--was most the most disappointing cruise I have had on HAL.

Why?  Based on my experience, these were the factors--

The ship's Master was not "guest friendly" in his "official" and unofficial contacts with him.  If the guests picked up on negative "vibes", what was he providing for the crew?

The Hotel Manager was as invisible and "not guest friendly" as the Master even in his "official" duties.

The crew was not happy as I determined by their service. 

The CD left something "to be desired" in their job performance.

The Executive Chef must have graduated at the bottom of his class if he attended a culinary school.    

In my conversations with Mariners who had more sailing days with HAL than me, these Mariners were in agreement with my perceptions and observations.   

iancal's comments about what to expect from one voyage to another are spot on!

34 minutes ago, iancal said:

We used to wonder if HAL used a third party marketing firm that got paid based upon the number of mailings they sent out.

In calendar year 2017 I documented that I received 25 HAL mailings weighing a total of four pounds. Not receiving anything noteworthy snail mail this year, cruise emails go unread.