How long to get going from cool/cold layup?

GICNJC

24 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am afraid we'll have to do better than rely on passengers' answers.

I imagine one would need a letter of recent (?how recent) vaccination at the minimum.

There’s got to be an effective vaccine developed first before they can demand a GP letter stating date of vaccine. Will it be a once in a lifetime vaccine or require boosters every few years or will you need a yearly vaccine like the flu vaccine? 

I only mentioned the medical form as I know people will lie on it. However IMO port side quick result testing should be done as well as temperature taking prior to being allowed to board. 

Edited by Issyalex

On 9/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, pinotlover said:

Why? We have no information as to which Oceania ships have gone into cool lay up.

I still have a cruise booked, in the Sirena, that is 61 days out. In fact, we signed up for a three (3) day pre-cruise tour with Oceania, so our scheduled departure is less than 60 days out. 

Sixty days is far less than ninety days. If the Sirena is in cool layup , requiring a minimum of ninety days to restart, what does that say about the integrity of senior Oceania management not being forthcoming about the status of our cruise?

Outside of the Insignia, which we know isn’t sailing, we don’t know the current status of any ships in Oceania’s fleet. For example, I would doubt Oceania would leave those ships docked , or anchored, in Maine all winter. They may sail and then go into layup, but I doubt they’re in that status now.

We are on Riviera on Nov 13. to the Caribbean...we will see what the CDC says this week...but the islands may not be accepting ships at that time.  And I have concerns with continual testing...having been in the pharmaceutical industry, it is against principle (and regulations) to retest anything unless there is a valid reason for invalidate a previous test result.  So if someone tests negative you accept it...if they test positive, without symptoms, do you retest?

https://www.marinetraffic.com

Riviera and Sirena are in La Spezia.

Regatta is in Ensenada

Insignia is in Curacao

Nautica is in Genoa.

profile_mask2.png

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>

41 minutes ago, nikless said:

And I have concerns with continual testing...having been in the pharmaceutical industry, it is against principle (and regulations) to retest anything unless there is a valid reason for invalidate a previous test result.  So if someone tests negative you accept it...if they test positive, without symptoms, do you retest?

All a COVID-19 test proves is your positive or negative status at the time the test is taken. It's just a snapshot of that moment in time. If you take a test today and it's negative but you're exposed to and acquire COVID-19 a few hours later a test taken a few days later will come up positive. So yes, for a highly communicable disease like COVID-19 when you're going to enter an environment like a cruise ship where there's great potential to either acquire or spread the disease  you absolutely need repetitive testing in order to identify the infected as quickly as possible and isolate them from others.

Plus...for COVID-19 it's generally accepted by epidemiologists that asymptomatic carriers can spreD the infection to others...so yes you retest someone who tests positive without symptoms.

• Like 2

The combined suggestions from the committee to review necessary changes have three recommendations that have great inpact on our cruises.

1.  Guests have to provide proof of Covid test no older than 5 days, as well as subject to another covid test on boarding.  For those who like to spend time in the embarkation port this could pose problems in attempts to obtain the Covid fee certificate.

2.  Crew will only be quarantine of 7 days.  I strongly believe this should be 14 days minimum.  Initially I had seen suggestions it should be 21 days.

3.  Ship Excursions.  For the start up period, and until Covid is under control, guests will NOT be able to leave the ship except with Oceania Excursions.  I support this action, but hope it will stop with all passengers having taken the COVID vaccine.

I think #3 will be problematic for the industry.

It implies that 'O' pax on a cruise/excursion would not be able to leave some confined space (like the ship or a bus), only travel to remote locales without people or only tour 'sanitized' places with 'certified' people running them. Since they would not be allowed to mingle with locals or non-'O' pax, this would significantly reduce the excursion opportunities to mostly the bland.  Of course bland is better than COVID, but if the reason you travel is to experience the world, not cruising at all might be better than the bland.  Let's hope for and early, effective, widely available and safe vaccine

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
spelling

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

All a COVID-19 test proves is your positive or negative status at the time the test is taken. It's just a snapshot of that moment in time. If you take a test today and it's negative but you're exposed to and acquire COVID-19 a few hours later a test taken a few days later will come up positive. So yes, for a highly communicable disease like COVID-19 when you're going to enter an environment like a cruise ship where there's great potential to either acquire or spread the disease  you absolutely need repetitive testing in order to identify the infected as quickly as possible and isolate them from others.

Plus...for COVID-19 it's generally accepted by epidemiologists that asymptomatic carriers can spreD the infection to others...so yes you retest someone who tests positive without symptoms.

I understand that the test is a snapshot, asymptomatic people can spread the virus, and that it is necessary when you board, and  if your environment changes, i.e., take an excursion.  But am curious as to what they will do with folks after they have been tested and while awaiting results.  Has the methodology been invented and validated to produce instant results?  Even so, what if someone tests positive on day 2...will they do contact tracing and isolate those who may have been in contact?  

And what do you do when someone who tested positive on day 2 shows up negative in follow-up testing during the cruise?

Maybe I mis-stated my original concern...I realize the testing is necessary but am curious as to how it can be managed without causing the whole ship to be quarantined. 

There are a couple breaths analyzer tests that give valid results in about 20 minutes. They are expected to be on the market by December. The cruise lines should be giving orders to the manufacturers already, as those manufacturers ramp up production.

At that time, part of check in procedure, before boarding, can be the test. Reading the blogs of a couple of the travel writers that have taken the recent available cruises, the current procedure seems to be:

1. the cruise line assigns each passenger a checkin time. A limited block of passengers get each time slot for processing;

2. port security will not allow anyone into the terminal facility and or port until the cruisers assigned time. Nor do they allow them to congregate outside of the facility. Period. 

3. those inside are processed , checked and interviewed before being allowed to board. 

It is incumbent upon the travelers to pre arranged their schedules so to not arrive at the port/terminal earlier than their  boarding passes authorizes. If one’s plane arrives at 07:00 and their assigned boarding time is 15:00, going early to the cruise terminal will not be an option. Even bag drop was not an option. The cruisers couldn’t get inside the port/terminal to do so.