The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

34 minutes ago, Renmar said:

image.jpeg.4821c7c314bfa2635abdb398564ae0a6.jpeg

You beat me to it.

Theo

First I could not believe it actually refers to a specific bull, but then I read about the sport after Capriccio had posted the town. The English put up statues for race horses and we have a statue in the North of Germany for a show jumping horse called "Meteor". It is lovely to commemorate them I find.

notamermaid

That day the youngsters were trying their skills with baby bulls, they were so proud in their colours, trying to explain what they were doing to us.Their English was so good made us feel very inadequate. We’ve just been watching Cheltenham horse racing very strange with no punters. CA

Interesting picture it looks well cropped!

Edited by Canal archive

That is a beautiful rose window. I do not think it is Notre Dame and not Reims (unless the back entrance). And not Cologne either. I would go for anywhere in France for the style and light coloured stone of the other buildings.

notamermaid

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

That is a beautiful rose window. I do not think it is Notre Dame and not Reims (unless the back entrance). And not Cologne either. I would go for anywhere in France for the style and light coloured stone of the other buildings.

notamermaid

You are on the right track!

Rouen, my, the cathedral looks just stunning! Got to go there.

The vineyards... steep enough to be on the Rhine or Moselle but the pine tree, hmm, perhaps not. And the tower, I think Languedoc or Provence, i.e. France?

notamermaid

Must tell you although we couldn’t get into Rouen Cathedral our guide that day was a wonderful lady just about the best guide ever. The museum recording Joan de Arc is well worth a visit as is looking at the exterior of the Cathedral. The problem is there are so many places I must see and I’m running out of time! CA

• Like 1

Darn! Busy afternoon at work and I just signed on now, only to immediately recognize both the side entrance to Rouen Cathedral and the little tower at Tournon-sur-Rhone. We actually did some wine tasting at that tower, on our river cruise back in the day. You guys put up all the easy France pictures while I was away! Guess you snooze, you lose. Or, c'est la vie! Looking forward to the next one.

Edited by jpalbny

Sorry to read that you did not have time to join, hope you and Chris have a relaxing evening.

Not as much fun to guess as Seine and Rhone perhaps, but I would appreciate some help. I take the wild card and would like to know the river and town for the prize of next photo. Here is the thing. I do not know what this building is, only that it is close to a historic site. I just like the figures, perhaps someone can tell me as extra info what they mean or what the building is used as. Here goes:

1783046401_Urlaub025.thumb.JPG.1f51803cd74faa1b24bdc1f1fe2d8ee7.JPG

notamermaid

I think this may be a little difficult...

Two clues, think of a very long European river and think of an amicable divorce (which it was called in common language, I have adapted the term so as not to make it too easy to find) that happened in modern times.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Split!

A split of two countries, one half of the nickname of the event is definitely divorce.

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Are you referring to Brexit?

Not that split, sorry. Before the year let us say 2000, but in modern times. That should lead you to this city which had always been of major importance but was a kind of capital and non-capital, but has been a proper capital since the split.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I found the building. It is located in Bratislava near Primate’s Square on Ursulinska street. The façade is a communist era bas-relief depicting architects planning on the left and workers toiling on the right.

Bratislava it is! The "Velvet Divorce" based on the term Velvet Revolution from 1989. Thank you for the help with locating the exact building. I take it from there if I want to know more. You are forgiven for not mentioning the Danube river. ☺️ 

Your turn.

This photo I took as it struck me as typical Communist style and contrasted with the surrounding old, renovated, sights. I just could not remember which part of the old town.

notamermaid