Go to first unread? forum behavior has changed

It used to be that clicking on a topic in the list would take you to the first unread post in that topic. Now it consistently takes you to the first post in that topic.

Possibly the "last post read" metadata for each topic was reset in the recent forum update and I just haven't clicked on any topics the second time, but I think I'm seeing it on subsequent visits to the post since the update.

It would be less of an issue if there was an apparent "go to first unread" link within each topic/thread but I haven't seen it. Bt it's still an issue.

Is this just temporary until all topics get read? I think I can fix that. Or is it just how the forum works now? I can't imagine why that would be a deliberate decision...

Nothing has changed with the recent update. Clicking the blue dot or star at the beginning of a thread title will take you to your first unread post in the thread. Clicking the title takes you to the first post as always. See the pinned thread toward the top of the first page for this forum:

Edited by Host Kat
Additional information.
  • Like 1

Clicking the star or blue dot next to a thread should take you to where you left off.

However there is a new feature  located in your settings: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/settings/links/

You can choose what behavior happens each time when you click on a thread between these choices

Take me to comments I haven't read

Take me to the beginning

Take me to the latest comment

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I just figured it out.   Unfortunately under the new set-up,  the stars don't show up if you're using AOL to access Cruise Critic.  

Once you change the setting indicated by HelpJenn, you don't need the star/bullet. Even just clicking on the title should take you to wherever the setting says. If it isn't now working properly, you should report it to HelpJenn, including technical information such as browser and platform (e.g, Firefox latest version on Win10)

5 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

unless the site logs me out. Which it seems to be doing much more frequently and randomly since the update. So just double check that you're still logged in?

Yes, and it is driving me crazy because sometimes it is clear that I am logged out and other times it looks like I am logged in when I am not. And, at times, I haven't been idle for that long.  Annoying.