Viking Ocean Australia cruise January 2021

werter

Has anyone heard anything about whether  Viking is planning to do these cruises? Shore excursions are not bookable, and Viking has been very vague. We have a flight on Delta, booked through Viking, leaving on January 1. How late could I expect to hear? 

The Australian borders are closed. No in, no out. (Except under very special circumstance)

The government has indicated this will be the case well into 2021.  

There are talks of easing restrictions with countries that have Covid under control. nZ, Taiwan, Vietnam, plus.

Very explicitly indicated that US and Europe are way down the list as Covid is out of control.

Edited by Docker123

8 hours ago, werter said:

Has anyone heard anything about whether  Viking is planning to do these cruises? Shore excursions are not bookable, and Viking has been very vague. We have a flight on Delta, booked through Viking, leaving on January 1. How late could I expect to hear? 

Can you transfer your cruise to 2022 in lieu of 2021?  Our borders may be open by then and cruising may have recommenced, depending on the pandemic.  

12 hours ago, werter said:

The way I see it, you have two issues that mean this cruise will not go ahead.

1. As others have said, the Australian government has stated that the international borders will be closed until well into 2021, with limited exceptions. It is very unlikely the flight you have booked will operate.

2. I do not think there is any chance at all of large cruise ships being allowed to operate out of Australian ports, or call into Australian ports, in the first half of 2021. If we are lucky, some cruises will start in mid to late 2021. The exception is a tiny ship operating out of Cairns with Australian crew and Australian passengers only.

So you have some certainty of what you are doing, I suggest you 'push' Viking for an answer. If they reluctant to commit, can you switch your booking to a similar cruise a year later. Then you will have a chance of being able to go on the cruise.

As others have said there is basically a 100% chance that Australia's borders won't be open to Americans in January PLUS large cruise ships won't be operating by then either. Push Viking  for  a rebooking or a reschedule