Am I understanding this correctly.....

southernshug

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The PVSA loophole is a compromise. Recognizing the American public's desire for cheap cruises, and the reality that cruise companies don't pay American income taxes on their profits. Nor do non-American employees.

I think the PVSA was not in response to cruise lines as it was enacted in 1886.  Laws can indeed change and protectionist laws should always be up for review, IMHO

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think the PVSA was not in response to cruise lines as it was enacted in 1886.  Laws can indeed change and protectionist laws should always be up for review, IMHO

The PVSA was intended to protect American jobs and maintain a viable merchant fleet.

The PVSA loophole is a compromise in response to leisure cruising at low prices.

The alternative is to eliminate the loophole. To require a minimal American staffing on ships that have a domestic itinerary. Like the river cruise boats.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Weird! I'm sure that we discussed this in detail on these forums.

The PVSA protects American jobs. Cruise companies employ third world employees for low low wages. Book profits offshore where they ignore American employment laws.

The PVSA loophole is a compromise. Recognizing the American public's desire for cheap cruises, and the reality that cruise companies don't pay American income taxes on their profits. Nor do non-American employees.

The "loophole" that allowed "service calls" was removed at the request of a cruise line, NCL. Now cruise lines want the loophole back in?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The PVSA was intended to protect American jobs and maintain a viable merchant fleet.

The PVSA loophole is a compromise in response to leisure cruising at low prices.

The alternative is to eliminate the loophole. To require a minimal American staffing on ships that have a domestic itinerary. Like the river cruise boats.

Hope this helps.

I understand what the PVSA is, it can be repealed.  It is a protectionist piece of legislation.  I hope this helps

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I understand what the PVSA is, it can be repealed.  It is a protectionist piece of legislation.  I hope this helps

Let's look at the details, and compare the Alaska versus Caribbean itineraries.

The regulations allow exemption from PVSA (U.S.-built, owned, and documented) on the Alaska itinerary if just one stop is made in Canada. The other 6/7 of the itinerary is in American waters!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

By comparison, the Caribbean itinerary has 7/7 nights offshore. Entry to an American port is solely to load and unload passengers. Similar to the situation for flights to/from international destinations.

The PVSA clarifies the situations when domestic itineraries should be subject to American laws. IMO, there should be a test for domestic 'content'.

Rather than repeal the PVSA, an American should be asking why foreigners (without work visas) are allowed to work in American waters for 6 consecutive days?

That said, it is debatable whether ships must be American built. IMO, it does not matter where a ship is built, as long as the corporate owner resides in the USA and is subject to American laws and taxation.

It will be pointed out that foreign ships need to be certified to operate in Americans waters. Will be inspected by Coast Guard etc. So, it is a complex situation.

Edited by HappyInVan

12 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Thank you. Please donate to the cause.

I’ll get right on that.  You sound like someone else right now who is also asking folks to donate “to the cause”.  A better cause is helping people pay their rent and putting food on the table.  This thread has become so ridiculous and I’m done with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2