Am I understanding this correctly.....

southernshug

6 minutes ago, richwmn said:

It doesn't matter if individual passengers get off, as long as the option is there. In your case, it was your choice to stay on the ship, others disembarked

That is what we are saying...you can leave the ship but not the terminal. Satisfies the PVSA and Canadian politicians.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are people here who have worked as officers on cruise ships who say it's not legal. I can't bring up the one I want by tagging him right now, but he is not a "keyboard warrior". There might be people who know more about it than you.

That's what I'm saying...let's hear from a legal expert on this. Can this thing be amended or changed in order to start Alaska cruising again.?  Can a US President issue an Executive Order to get things rolling again.  Let's think outside the box here people.

Edited by kevingastreich

5 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

That is what we are saying...you can leave the ship but not the terminal. Satisfies the PVSA and Canadian politicians.

What does the  foreign port stop required under the PVSA have to do with ‘Canadian politicians’?

21 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

At present, they don't want US travelers entering Canada due to Corona Virus fears.

Currently, the situation until the end of February, 2021 is (excerpt from Transport Canada website):

Today, given the ongoing situation with COVID-19, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, announced the extension of measures pertaining to cruise ships and pleasure craft until February 28, 2021. This means:

-  Cruise ships with overnight accommodations carrying more than 100 people continue to be prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

So, a short stop in Victoria or anywhere else in Canada to satisfy the PVSA is currently not allowed.  Probably, as long as there is an existing Public Health Emergency in the United States (and for that matter, Canada) the restriction on cruise ships entering Canada is likely to continue and the PVSA stop requirement is irrelevant because it cannot happen, whether for five minutes or 16 hours!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Keyboard warriors "discussing it" doesn't make it true. Nothing in this thread so far is definitive proof that the PVSA can't be amended to achieve what we are proposing.  Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.  Let's get on it!

When you say “let’s get on it” to whom are you referring?  This is between the US and Canadian government to deal with.  Either the border will open soon or it will not.  For the time being, I would hope that the more pressing issues in the US will be addressed before discussions about the Passenger Vessel Act.  I know you want to sail to Alaska this coming season and  I want to see my children and grandchildren in person this summer,  something I haven’t done since March.  Hopefully, we both get what want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

When you say “let’s get on it” to whom are you referring?  This is between the US and Canadian government to deal with.  Either the border will open soon or it will not.  For the time being, I would hope that the more pressing issues in the US will be addressed before discussions about the Passenger Vessel Act.  I know you want to sail to Alaska this coming season and  I want to see my children and grandchildren in person this summer,  something I haven’t done since March.  Hopefully, we both get what want. 

Well put. And as the incoming Administration is going to be science based on Covid, I doubt there is going to be some raging interest in an Executive Order on the PVSA, particularly an action that disrespects our neighbors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well put. And as the incoming Administration is going to be science based on Covid, I doubt there is going to be some raging interest in an Executive Order on the PVSA, particularly an action that disrespects our neighbors.

I doubt very much that the PVSA will be changed or some waiver will be cooked up but from a Canadian perspective I don’t see how this would be disrespectful.  Canada will either allow or disallow cruise ships to operate in Canadian waters whether the PVSA is changed or not.  It will be a public health/risk decision taken by the Canadian authorities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Canada is too smart to allow US citizens in for quite a while.

I believe it works both ways.  Best to keep the border closed until both countries are safe for all of us to travel back and forth like the good ole days.  Hoping the vaccines will be our miracle.  Take care, be safe, wear your mask.

• Like 1

I'll start a Go Fund me Page in order to hire a contract attorney to take it before a sympathetic Judge.  The goal being a temporary injunction against the PVSA due to the ongoing pandemic. This way, stops in Canada will not be necessary to resume the Alaska Cruise Season. I think $10,000 should get the ball rolling.

38 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I'll start a Go Fund me Page in order to hire a contract attorney to take it before a sympathetic Judge.  The goal being a temporary injunction against the PVSA due to the ongoing pandemic. This way, stops in Canada will not be necessary to resume the Alaska Cruise Season. I think $10,000 should get the ball rolling.

I think enlisting the support of your local and state politicos would be impactful.   The states and locals are the ones who can show they have been harmed.  

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

I’m honestly at a loss for words right now.  Good luck, I think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

You're kidding, right?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

You can expect amazing and beautiful results from lawyers like that!!!

My thought is, who would even donate to a Go Fund Me for such a cause. Are there that many people who want to cruise to Alaska in 2021 that they would pay for a lawyer who MAY be able to get the PVSA reversed in time?

Is it just me, or does this whole idea seem extremely far fetched!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

This pandemic might be just the thing that finally puts this archaic law to rest!

Weird! I'm sure that we discussed this in detail on these forums.

The PVSA protects American jobs. Cruise companies employ third world employees for low low wages. Book profits offshore where they ignore American employment laws.

The PVSA loophole is a compromise. Recognizing the American public's desire for cheap cruises, and the reality that cruise companies don't pay American income taxes on their profits. Nor do non-American employees.