Self-Service Laundry on R Class Ships

Psoque

Hi.  We are seriously looking into a Mediterranean cruise on one of the R class ships for 2022 (fingers crossed that cruising will resume next year!).  I notice that there is only one self-service laundry room on Sirena (and presumably, on other R class ships??).  Here are our questions, with an assumption that social distancing post coronavirus-era might change everything:

-How many washers/dryers are in the laundry room?

-Is the room available 24 hours/day?

-Was there a long wait to use the washers/dryers?

-Do most of you end up sending the laundry out because there is not enough washers/dryers?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Hi.  We are seriously looking into a Mediterranean cruise on one of the R class ships for 2022 (fingers crossed that cruising will resume next year!).  I notice that there is only one self-service laundry room on Sirena (and presumably, on other R class ships??).  Here are our questions, with an assumption that social distancing post coronavirus-era might change everything:

-How many washers/dryers are in the laundry room?

-Is the room available 24 hours/day?

-Was there a long wait to use the washers/dryers?

-Do most of you end up sending the laundry out because there is not enough washers/dryers?

Thanks.

I believe there are 4 washer/dryer units  or maybe 6 

It may depend on the covid rules  but  it may be closed

The room is open from 7 am to 10 pm I believe

some cabin classes get  3 free bags of laundry  20 items for bag   Concierge level & above 

I have not had a problem getting  a washer  but timing is everything

I do not try on  a sea day so I am sure it could be  a problem then

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I believe there are 4 washer/dryer units  or maybe 6 

It may depend on the covid rules  but  it may be closed

The room is open from 7 am to 10 pm I believe

some cabin classes get  3 free bags of laundry  20 items for bag   Concierge level & above 

I have not had a problem getting  a washer  but timing is everything

I do not try on  a sea day so I am sure it could be  a problem then

If I remember correctly, it’s 4 each washer and dryer on R ships and 6 each washer and dryer on O ships. But, don’t quote me. 
We usually show up 15-30 minutes before it opens on a sea day (or late port arrival day).

Other than that, pre-dinner (during happy hour) on port days might find an open machine. But, given the very limited space, it’s a good bet that they will not be available while any Covid restrictions are in place.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If I remember correctly, it’s 4 each washer and dryer on R ships and 6 each washer and dryer on O ships. But, don’t quote me. 

It is 4 usually for R class ships  but our last Regatta  cruise  a few years ago they had 6

The O class ships have 3 sets in each laundry room  at least on decks 7,8 & 9

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/self-service-launderettes-311091/self-service-launderettes--v14123473

1. Only 3-7 day cruises are currently allowed. Surely during these times people can pack enough to get through a cruise without needing a laundry.

2.  If and when conditions change and longer cruises are okayed, then perhaps they’ll re-open the ship’s laundries likewise.

There is a subset of travelers that like to play a minimalist game. Brag how they pack everything they need for a three week trip into a small bag for carry on. Then do laundry repeatedly while on vacation. IMO, until things get completely settled out, and we know what the new normal becomes, I postulate this isn’t a wise game to play. PPPPPP.

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

There is a subset of travelers that like to play a minimalist game. Brag how they pack everything they need for a three week trip into a small bag for carry on. Then do laundry repeatedly while on vacation. IMO, until things get completely settled out, and we know what the new normal becomes, I postulate this isn’t a wise game to play. PPPPPP.

So what affect does this have on you?

Who cares if people want to do their own laundry  & pack light

Do what works best for you

No need to be so judgmental of others

I am surprised you travel  with other that are "not your sort" 🙄

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Only 3-7 day cruises are currently allowed.

Where can I get on one of the 3-7 day cruises? I need a vacation. I'm pretty sure there are no cruises currently allowed on Oceania, and most of the other lines. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So what affect does this have on you?

Who cares if people want to do their own laundry  & pack light

Do what works best for you

No need to be so judgmental of others

I am surprised you travel  with other that are "not your sort" 🙄

Lyn;

My sole point is that during these times of uncertainty, perhaps depending upon the availability of a laundry is not a good game plan. Even you made that point! If that is the case, then perhaps that’s not a good game to play. Be prepared.

During past cruises it made no difference to me or anyone what they chose to do. In fact, if they choose to play it in the future, without laundry facilities, it really doesn’t affect me then either.

Edited by pinotlover

The laundry room on R ships is very small.  It's a matter of luck or just good timing.  Since there is only one laundry room on R ships, it if often busy.  Room is small. No way to socially distance in there.  While I did use it on past cruises, I probably won't in the future. The regular laundry service is good.