Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

13 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Someone else posted a photo of the lab door and said it was on the starboard side near the Wintergarden.

Hmmm...There is the Lanai area of chairs and sofas parallel to the Wintergarden, then a bookcase  with a left hand turn and then a right hand turn going through glass doors.  Once through the doors is the women's and men's bathrooms across from the elevators, then the Owners Suite. I don't recall how much wall space there is aft or forward of the rest rooms or if there are doors.  There are many mystery doors around the ship for crew access only.  

18 minutes ago, readsalot said:

Hi All,

I was trying to complete Verifly yesterday and had a problem trying to take a picture of my Covid shots card. The second date is hard to read and the program won’t accept it.  I’m wondering if I need a new card?

Thanks, Lynne

That camera was fickle for shots of me when I tried it, but it captured our cards easily.  But we have printed labels, not handwritten info for the vaccine dates/type/lot. If you try it again, close up, steady, no glare, camera level) and it fails, I'd try to get a new card.  Or if you can get a good picture and get it on your computer, I think you can upload that instead of using the app. Or if all else fails, I THINK someone reported that you CAN wait until you do check in with Viking.  But I may be thinking of the Comfort Check in process rather than VeriFly - so please check.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

That camera was fickle for shots of me when I tried it, but it captured our cards easily.  But we have printed labels, not handwritten info for the vaccine dates/type/lot. If you try it again, close up, steady, no glare, camera level) and it fails, I'd try to get a new card.  Or if you can get a good picture and get it on your computer, I think you can upload that instead of using the app. Or if all else fails, I THINK someone reported that you CAN wait until you do check in with Viking.  But I may be thinking of the Comfort Check in process rather than VeriFly - so please check.

Thanks for the advice. I drove to the health department this morning and got a new card. All set to go now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just out of curiosity, do you remember roughly how long it took to tender in Djupivogur and Heimaey, once tender was loaded up, untied, and took off?  Someone said 15 minutes in Heimaey but it looks like it's a long way from where the ship anchors and might be more.  And was Less for Djupivogur?   (And I realize it varies due to sea conditions, actual anchorage, etc.  I'm just curious.)

About ten minutes in Djupvigor.  Very calm.  Missed Heimaey due to rough tendering.

5 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just out of curiosity, do you remember roughly how long it took to tender in Djupivogur and Heimaey, once tender was loaded up, untied, and took off?  Someone said 15 minutes in Heimaey but it looks like it's a long way from where the ship anchors and might be more.  And was Less for Djupivogur?   (And I realize it varies due to sea conditions, actual anchorage, etc.  I'm just curious.)

Yup, it was about 15-ish minutes.😃 We went off in the morning, took the ATV tour, went back on the boat for lunch and then back off for the afternoon tour. Very do-able.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:41 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I just called Viking for help changing time on an excursion.  Since I was on the line, I asked about the Viking recommendation/requirement for PCR, not antigen testing coming next week, as it affects us.  I was told that Viking believes PCR is best  - some airlines/airports don't accept antigen, requirements could change anytime with Iceland, and it's more accurate.  I made reservations at Quest Labs for PCR.  They indicate a 1 to 2 day turnaround, mostly just one if receive sample same day.  They had a good number of spots available locally.  Test is self-administered in front of someone from Quest.  

I am assuming that the Quest Lab results came as expected? What was the turnaround time?

42 minutes ago, Crockett&Darla said:

So what does Akureyri, Iceland and an Oak Ridge, TN Friday night hangout have in common?

We're right back in Iceland on a Friday night. It was great. To be sure....I tried it a second time. Cheers🍺

IMG_20210730_194503937_02.jpg

OMG, the growler fills are really expensive at $21/$22. Our normal price is CAN $13. Mind you, I would certainly try the Toasted Porter.😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserDoc said:

I'm interested in this too... anyone know the answer? 

I tried doing a chat with on the covid.is site which opened a 'case' on this.  After 2 emails back and forth, I could not get a solid answer.  On the last go round I asked:  Is that a Yes or No? and here is what I received:

----------------------

The PCR/antigen need to fulfill :
https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44492/a-requirement-for-a-negative-pcr-test-upon-arrival-in-iceland

If it does not fulfil this you will need another test

------------------------

So I never really got an answer from them.  I'm afraid we won't know until some tries it.  But we're not taking the chance.  We are going to get a rapid Antigen test from "The COVID CLINC"  near PHX as we are staying there Sunday night before our flight on Monday 8/17.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

I tried doing a chat with on the covid.is site which opened a 'case' on this.  After 2 emails back and forth, I could not get a solid answer.  On the last go round I asked:  Is that a Yes or No? and here is what I received:

----------------------

The PCR/antigen need to fulfill :
https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44492/a-requirement-for-a-negative-pcr-test-upon-arrival-in-iceland

If it does not fulfil this you will need another test

------------------------

So I never really got an answer from them.  I'm afraid we won't know until some tries it.  But we're not taking the chance.  We are going to get a rapid Antigen test from "The COVID CLINC"  near PHX as we are staying there Sunday night before our flight on Monday 8/17.

I started a chat with United and was told that I can use eMed for the entry to Iceland.

43 minutes ago, peribit said:

I started a chat with United and was told that I can use eMed for the entry to Iceland.

Maybe I should ask United about it...from many of the posts its seems that Iceland hardly even looks at the Covid test - they probably assume the airlines already checked it.  I'll have to see what they say.

3 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

Maybe I should ask United about it...from many of the posts its seems that Iceland hardly even looks at the Covid test - they probably assume the airlines already checked it.  I'll have to see what they say.

Can you post back after you talk to United?  I would feel more comfortable if we get the same answer.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, TayanaLorna said:

No we arrived on July 17.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, peribit said:

Can you post back after you talk to United?  I would feel more comfortable if we get the same answer.

We just returned from Iceland trip on the Jupiter.  They definitely checked our COVID tests - both the airline AND when we arrived in Iceland.  It was the last stop before we boarded the buses to take us to the holding place.  We arrived on July 27, the first day the new rules went in place.  We had expected lots of confusion, but it was all very organized.  The airlines were all on board with the requirement, too.  

On 7/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, peribit said:

So it took over an hour for the immigration and customs?  Was it after July 27 with the new testing requirement?

We just returned home on the Jupter trip.  We arrived on the first day the new rule went into place (the 27th).  We expected mass confusion, but it was all well organized.  Our flight from JFK arrived about 6:15 and there were already LOTS of people in line for immigration and customs - it definitely was at least an hour to get through - not because they weren't working hard  - just so many people.  Once we got to the front of each line, it was very efficient and quick. 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:01 AM, Wander58 said:

Does anyone know if the ABBOTT ID NOW test is accepted for entry into Iceland?  Its the rapid test that Walgreens offers.

the airlines were VERY specific in what they accepted - at every airline and at when we arrived in Iceland, they were very particular about whether we had a PCR or an antigen test.  It appeared that those words needed to specifically be on the document.  They prefer a paper copy rather than looking at your phone, so I recommend printing out a copy - Your name  and date administered MUST be on the copy you have.  There were several people at the airport who did not have the test and they would not let them on the plane to Iceland.  People were running to find a testing site in the airport.  I never knew if they made it or not.  Actually we were surprised more people were not taken by surprise.

52 minutes ago, stbiehn said:

the airlines were VERY specific in what they accepted - at every airline and at when we arrived in Iceland, they were very particular about whether we had a PCR or an antigen test.  It appeared that those words needed to specifically be on the document.  They prefer a paper copy rather than looking at your phone, so I recommend printing out a copy - Your name  and date administered MUST be on the copy you have.  There were several people at the airport who did not have the test and they would not let them on the plane to Iceland.  People were running to find a testing site in the airport.  I never knew if they made it or not.  Actually we were surprised more people were not taken by surprise.

Did you use one of the video supervised antigen tests (Ellume or eMed)?