Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

44 minutes ago, cboyle said:

I am working on a review to be published in the "Reviews" section here on Cruise Critic, but it will take awhile.  In the meantime, I will use parts of it to answer questions.

BTW, it is not on your list, but we thought the prehistoric megalithic temples at Ggantija were outstanding.

Glad you mentioned the prehistoric temples on Gozo.  We are on the Sept. 19 Adriatic cruise and signed up for that excursion on a whim.  Now we are really looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, cboyle said:

I am working on a review to be published in the "Reviews" section here on Cruise Critic, but it will take awhile. 

Is there a specific section for reviews of excursions?  I haven’t seen that but would love to, if there is!

Montenegro has moved onto the UK governments red list and would necessitate a stay in a government sanctioned hotel on return to UK, something I'm not prepared to do. I'm going to check tomorrow if it would still apply if I didn't get off the ship for Kotor, if not I will regretfully have to cancel.

• Like 1

Not good news.

Montenegro has turned red for the UK, which means if it stays that way and Viking don't makes changes, UK cruisers won't be able to sail because if the advisory that is now in place.

I know when I originally booked this, I did ask what might happen if Montenegro turned red, the reply was "we won't sail to red countries" so I'm guessing we will get a sea day or maybe another Croatia stop.

Fair chance this may be red for the US too ?

17 minutes ago, G2G said:

Montenegro has moved onto the UK governments red list and would necessitate a stay in a government sanctioned hotel on return to UK, something I'm not prepared to do. I'm going to check tomorrow if it would still apply if I didn't get off the ship for Kotor, if not I will regretfully have to cancel.

Worse than that, your insurance won't be valid if we do call there.

I truly think the port will get pulled and we will sail with it removed. This is likely to affect everyone.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:45 PM, crochetgirl said:

What are your suggestions on how to break them while we're in the Viking bubble on Malta and Greece? It's not like we can go make a small purchase before we get on board!

Actually....while we were on a walking tour of Malta ("Maltas Capitals Old and New") I was able to duck into a souvenir shop, pick out and purchase a refrigerator magnet, and rejoin the group without anyone noticing or caring.

Edited by Jchivers
  • Like 2

This is such a shame because the port of Kotor is beautiful. I'm sure Viking have planned for this reality and will let you all know what they intend to do. It's a tough call because if they refuse to change the itinerary they'll lose a ton of money from UK cruisers whom will have to cancel and reschedule. 😔

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, travelguy19 said:

Since you offered, what optional excursions were really good, and what ones were not so great? Here is what I’m currently signed up for:

Malta Capitals, Old & New

Highlights of Montenegro

Dubrovnik City Wall Walk

Highlights of Split Riviera

Krka Waterfalls & Skradin

Comino Sail & Swim

Thanks so much!

Comino Sail & Swim: you board a large (two-masted) sailboat operating under motor power, and cruise around several scenic points of Comino and Gozo.  You stop at two lagoons -- the water is crystal clear, moderate temperature (warmer than Northern California, much cooler than the Caribbean) and about 12' deep - and you have the opportunity to jump/climb down for a dip.  It's really salty -- it's easy to float.  It's fun, but you do stay for quite a while (90 minutes) at each stop, and if the boat is bobbing up and down....seasickness could be an issue.  

An ice cream boat pulled up alongside, like a Good Humor truck...that also sells beer.  Very welcome on a hot day.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

This is such a shame because the port of Kotor is beautiful. I'm sure Viking have planned for this reality and will let you all know what they intend to do. It's a tough call because if they refuse to change the itinerary they'll lose a ton of money from UK cruisers whom will have to cancel and reschedule. 😔

I hope they decide quickly as we travel soon. Only got 2 days until our 2 week risk free cancellation period expires

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

That's why they will leave the cruise in minus that port and put back in should it come back to amber. Unfortunately, the next change for the UK would kick in the day we arrive, so I can't see that likely.

I expect the US has similar period interventions. I'd be surprised if it doesn't mirror the UK, so in the same boat. If it is and they didn't just drop the port, I'd be very surprised ... And worried.

2 hours ago, Jchivers said:

Actually....while we were on a walking tour of Malta ("Maltas Capitals Old and New") I was able to duck into a souvenir shop, pick out and purchase a refrigerator magnet, and rejoin the group without anyone noticing or caring.

I saw a few people do that on my excursions.  I was impressed that people could decide what they wanted so quickly!  I am a slow shopper, have to look at everything first.  This was the first trip I came home with not one souvenir.

8 hours ago, NVAtravelers said:

Glad you mentioned the prehistoric temples on Gozo.  We are on the Sept. 19 Adriatic cruise and signed up for that excursion on a whim.  Now we are really looking forward to it!

Here is some useful information and a plan of the site:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/malta/ggantija-temples

ggantija-map.jpg

On board the 8/23 Viking Venus..in Dubrovnik today. Much cooler than we expected, low 70's and possible rain showers. All of the hassle to make this Welcome Back Cruise...is it worth it? Absolutely YES! 460 passengers on board (their largest so far) and we hardly see anyone. Can get in all the restaurants and sit outside whenever you want. The crew and food is amazing. Already booked the Nov TA on the Sea and looking to book Norway while on board. We are hooked on Viking!

• Like 5

Just had the following email from Viking.

Dear Viking Guest

We hope you are looking forward to your cruise.

As you may be aware the UK Government has changed the status of Montenegro, and this will move to Red from 4AM on the 30th August.

Your cruise is scheduled to visit Kotor, Montenegro. Please be assured that we are looking at alternative options for your itinerary.

There is no need to contact us at this time, our Guest Services team will be in touch with further information once arrangements have been made.

Thank you for your patience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, iancb said:

Just had the following email from Viking.

Dear Viking Guest

We hope you are looking forward to your cruise.

As you may be aware the UK Government has changed the status of Montenegro, and this will move to Red from 4AM on the 30th August.

Your cruise is scheduled to visit Kotor, Montenegro. Please be assured that we are looking at alternative options for your itinerary.

There is no need to contact us at this time, our Guest Services team will be in touch with further information once arrangements have been made.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi, that's good to see they are on it. We are due on the cruise departing Malta on September 13th with Kotor as the first stop. I guess if you are on the current trip or the next one then the situation is more pressing.

Thanks for posting.

That's very reassuring and completely as I expected.

I think its likely as already said, they will either drop the stop and be a sea day - or will more likely pick another port on Croatia to visit and avoid any further problems. There is a new cruise sailing on the 30th August and would be in Kotor on the 2nd Sept (I think).......... 

Hopefully they will announce soon. I was going to ring in this morning, but having seen that, I know its in hand and not something to be overly concerned with.

I have to admit I spent a pretty sleepless night going through the what ifs.  Due to head out for pcr test this morning, yet another thing to think about if I had to ultimately cancel, but though the email doesn’t actually say Kotor is cancelled, it certainly leaves you expecting that.  So I will continue with my pcr test and get on with my packing!  
I wonder if we will have a completely new port to visit or an extra day in Dubrovnik maybe?

Sleepless night also, as I'm pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover it and it's too late to cancel.  Possible plan was to stay in Malta an extra 4 days after the cruise so taking us over the 10 days since being in Montenegro.

12 minutes ago, catswin said:

I have to admit I spent a pretty sleepless night going through the what ifs.  Due to head out for pcr test this morning, yet another thing to think about if I had to ultimately cancel, but though the email doesn’t actually say Kotor is cancelled, it certainly leaves you expecting that.  So I will continue with my pcr test and get on with my packing!  
I wonder if we will have a completely new port to visit or an extra day in Dubrovnik maybe?

Reading between the lines of the email, it tells us you can rightly carry on packing and get your PCR test done and not be concerned the sailing will just miss Kotor at worst. You certainly won't be stopping in a red country. My gut feeling would be an entirely different Croatia port or an overnighter as suggested as being very realistic options.

Fingers crossed no other countries change while you are away or in the coming weeks. If malta went red, we really would be up the creek!

IanCB - you are correct about insurance - and not even "I didnt get off" would make a difference. Easy to say I know, but I think Viking will have you sitting pretty with the outcome. Good thinking on the extra 4 days in Malta as an option. If you can do that, you would get fine I think.... But I honestly don't think it will come to that. If Insurance were to stop you sailing (which actually is the biggie IMHO), I think Viking will allow you to take an alternative. They did for me anyway on the 24th July sailing scuppered by the UK no cruise advisory. I have to say, I have been very impressed with Viking to date and have yet to sail with them.

7 hours ago, CLBSC said:

On board the 8/23 Viking Venus..in Dubrovnik today. Much cooler than we expected, low 70's and possible rain showers. All of the hassle to make this Welcome Back Cruise...is it worth it? Absolutely YES! 460 passengers on board (their largest so far) and we hardly see anyone. Can get in all the restaurants and sit outside whenever you want. The crew and food is amazing. Already booked the Nov TA on the Sea and looking to book Norway while on board. We are hooked on Viking!

You are on the ship I left on the 23rd.  I agree it was worth it!  And, from my conversations with the crew, they were definitely looking forward to having more passengers.  I loved having my own private yacht (we had 178 passengers), but I could tell the crew probably wanted more to do.  I miss my room steward and my wine stewards!

On 8/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, NVAtravelers said:

This was one of the highlights of our trip. The structure may not be much to look at when compared to the pyramids, which they predate, but a good guide (which we had) will make sense of it all.

8 hours ago, les37b said:

Reading between the lines of the email, it tells us you can rightly carry on packing and get your PCR test done and not be concerned the sailing will just miss Kotor at worst. You certainly won't be stopping in a red country. My gut feeling would be an entirely different Croatia port or an overnighter as suggested as being very realistic options.

Fingers crossed no other countries change while you are away or in the coming weeks. If malta went red, we really would be up the creek!

IanCB - you are correct about insurance - and not even "I didnt get off" would make a difference. Easy to say I know, but I think Viking will have you sitting pretty with the outcome. Good thinking on the extra 4 days in Malta as an option. If you can do that, you would get fine I think.... But I honestly don't think it will come to that. If Insurance were to stop you sailing (which actually is the biggie IMHO), I think Viking will allow you to take an alternative. They did for me anyway on the 24th July sailing scuppered by the UK no cruise advisory. I have to say, I have been very impressed with Viking to date and have yet to sail with them.

An extra 4 days in Malta would certainly be cheaper (and more enjoyable) than the compulsory quarantine in the U.K.  

You will certainly enjoy your cruise with Viking.  This will be #3 for me.

1 hour ago, catswin said:

An extra 4 days in Malta would certainly be cheaper (and more enjoyable) than the compulsory quarantine in the U.K.  

You will certainly enjoy your cruise with Viking.  This will be #3 for me.

Just a thought....if Montenegro is red, I doubt Croatia and Malta will let you in without quarantine. (I realise we are talking UK caterisation,  but you get my drift.

• Like 1