Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

5 hours ago, MikeD1000 said:

We are due to fly Air Malta from Heathrow to Valletta on 19 September.  We gather queues can be slow, mainly because of checking additional paperwork.  Other than this can anyone give us an idea of what Air Malta is like to travel on?  And anything on the very early flight back to London?

Thanks to people for some very full information on excursions and food on Viking Sea.

we flew Air Malta from Munich to Valletta.  Everything was fine.  Seemed just like any other European regional airline.  

15 hours ago, rizello said:

we flew Air Malta from Munich to Valletta.  Everything was fine.  Seemed just like any other European regional airline.  

Friends on board at the moment work for BA, but flew Air Malta.... commented they thought the seat spacing were better on Air Malta.

Have now filled out all the relevant PLF for next week and whilst easy enough once you get your head around making accounts etc, I'm still left with a sense of doubt Ive forgotten something!

Pre Flight PCR test as recommended (Booked but wont take unless things change before next saturday morning.)

PLF for malta (inc upload covid vax)

Verifly for Viking (inc upload covid vax)

Health declaration on myvikingjourney (to be done 3 days prior)

Return 2 day PCR test booked (UK)

Print copies of the above inc Covid status (Ive done 3 lots - in case they need to keep - and also on my phone)

Print Insurance docs to prove covid cover

Sort and book car park

24 hours prior to flight - book seats on plane

For the return a PLF is required for entry to UK - and remember to bring the details of the 2 day test booking to add to the form!! I understand we will need to do this prior to leaving the ship and it cant be done just yet. Luckily we have PC access on board!

Arrive on ship and de-stress!

Hopefully a useful reminder - and if Ive missed anything please shout loudly! I expect most of this applies across the board - apart from the return PCR UK 2 day test we require to pre-book.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Hopefully a useful reminder - and if Ive missed anything please shout loudly! I expect most of this applies across the board - apart from the return PCR UK 2 day test we require to pre-book

We have done everything you have Les and in addition we have completed 2 copies each of the Public Health Travel Declaration form as shown on the gov.uk website - link below. We are pretty sure these have been superseded by the online PLF Malta now use but we have completed them anyway. 😀 

We wish you a safe journey out to the ship and we'll look out for you on board. We are isolating at home until next Sunday to try and ensure we remain Covid negative! Janet & David.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta/entry-requirements

5 minutes ago, Colourmeautumn said:

We have done everything you have Les and in addition we have completed 2 copies each of the Public Health Travel Declaration form as shown on the gov.uk website - link below. We are pretty sure these have been superseded by the online PLF Malta now use but we have completed them anyway. 😀 

We wish you a safe journey out to the ship and we'll look out for you on board. We are isolating at home until next Sunday to try and ensure we remain Covid negative! Janet & David.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta/entry-requirements

I did see that form and similarly think the PLF supersedes it. However, I also agree its prudent "just in case" especially as it does say both. So good call.

I've similarly been isolating, though with 2 kids aged 21 and 23 coming and going, travelling on trains, working in London etc, its easier said than done.

You will recognise me as the strange person setting up GoPro cameras on the bow and stern to timelapse comings and goings at ports each morning and evening! I'm expecting the Croatian coastine into ports will be pretty good.

Have you booked the pre-flight PCR? I have, but wont be testing unless the Maltese change their minds on a test being needed. ive paid for it (so not saving money), but acutely concerned an inconclusive or false negative will result in a cancelled holiday. I would kick myself, especially as its not a requirement.

9 minutes ago, les37b said:

Have you booked the pre-flight PCR? I have, but wont be testing unless the Maltese change their minds on a test being needed. ive paid for it (so not saving money), but acutely concerned an inconclusive or false negative will result in a cancelled holiday. I would kick myself, especially as its not a requirement.

Hi Les

David here, Janet's worse half.

As Janet said, we've done pretty much the same as you. Rather than pre-purchase a pre-flight PCR test I've found somewhere reasonably local where you can get a same day test, albeit at a ridiculous price. This should work up to and including Saturday 18th so the only way we'll be stuffed is if the Maltese government announces sometime after lunchtime on Saturday that they require PCR tests from midnight. We'll take that risk.

Theoretically you could argue that we need a second dPLF for when we return to Malta. While we be transiting through Malta itself in less than 12 hours on the 29th, we will have arrived in Gozo (which is part of the Republic of Malta) at 08:00 on the 28th. This PLF would have cruise ship as the means of travel and would have to show Croatia (including all the separate ports?) as temporary addresses/places visited. We've decided to ignore this possibility as that way leads madness in terms of time spent on admin exceeding time on cruise. If it turns out we do need one (and I've not seen any other source suggesting that this should be necessary) then we'll have to apply while we're on the ship - something to do on an 'at sea' day.

I'm sure you're right about the attractiveness of the coastlines and port entries. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago which included Dubrovnik, very picturesque if you can avoid the Game of Thrones posters and paraphernalia. It's a pity that we're no longer going to Kotor where the approach from the sea was a lot more picturesque/impressive than the town itself (unless you like cats).

I share your dislike for BA who have let us down virtually every time we have tried flying with them. I had to use them a lot when I was working. Five years after retiring I still have a 6-figure cache of airmiles/avios as I long since decided that generally I'd rather pay to fly with someone else than fly with BA for 'free'.

See you onboard  

David

9 minutes ago, Janet&David said:

Hi Les

As Janet said, we've done pretty much the same as you. Rather than pre-purchase a pre-flight PCR test I've found somewhere reasonably local where you can get a same day test, albeit at a ridiculous price. This should work up to and including Saturday 18th so the only way we'll be stuffed is if the Maltese government announces sometime after lunchtime on Saturday that they require PCR tests from midnight. We'll take that risk.

Theoretically you could argue that we need a second dPLF for when we return to Malta. While we be transiting through Malta itself in less than 12 hours on the 29th, we will have arrived in Gozo (which is part of the Republic of Malta) at 08:00 on the 28th. This PLF would have cruise ship as the means of travel and would have to show Croatia (including all the separate ports?) as temporary addresses/places visited. We've decided to ignore this possibility as that way leads madness in terms of time spent on admin exceeding time on cruise. If it turns out we do need one (and I've not seen any other source suggesting that this should be necessary) then we'll have to apply while we're on the ship - something to do on an 'at sea' day.

I'm sure you're right about the attractiveness of the coastlines and port entries. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago which included Dubrovnik, very picturesque if you can avoid the Game of Thrones posters and paraphernalia. It's a pity that we're no longer going to Kotor where the approach from the sea was a lot more picturesque/impressive than the town itself (unless you like cats).

I share your dislike for BA who have let us down virtually every time we have tried flying with them. I had to use them a lot when I was working. Five years after retiring I still have a 6-figure cache of airmiles/avios as I long since decided that generally I'd rather pay to fly with someone else than fly with BA for 'free'.

See you onboard  

David

Gotcha on the pre flight PCR. I would have done the same if it were an option local. I spent hours looking at the options available on the gov website and in the end just sighed and realised its a pointless exercise viewing inaccurate information.  I don't think it will be needed, so effectively I have wasted the £43 each. But hey ho. One stressful decision out of the way. And I can use it in the future if needed, so no biggie.

I did ask Viking if I needed to fill in a PLF for Croatia, but was told they take care of it - so that would be the same for the return to Malta too. Luckily if anything changes, there will time to deal with it on the ship. I'm unsure if I need to do Verifly for my BA flights as well as Viking. I did ask and the reply was a bit limp. I will ask my BA friends (all furloughed still!) if they can find out.

My last cruise in Oct 2019 went to Split and Dubrovnik and more than happy to return to both. I actually quite liked visiting the GoT sites, but yes Croatia is certainly utilising it as a selling point. I will look for the Kotor cat reference! (I'm not fond of cats! lol)

Good point on Avios. I have about 60,000 which I should use to book seats in advance. I know its a full flight with all seats sold. I wished I got an upgrade to Easyjet!

2 hours ago, Janet&David said:

Hi Les

See you onboard  

David

Did you know you can convert Avios points to Nectar points in Sainsbury's? Like you we won't now fly BA and this is a good way of using them as long as you like Sainsbury's!  We had 'free' grocery shopping for about 6 months.

• Like 2

Just got home from the Malta Aug 20-Sep 9 Viking Sea and still in jet lag, but getting better.  MLA to EWR flight was really hard on me.  9.5 hrs and flat butt. I do not recommend the chicken meal on Lufthansa, go for the pasta with tomato sauce instead.  Vik offered an overnight at EWR which is a great idea, takes a lot of pain off that return leg, and a bit of unwinding time.  Marriott Airport has sports-bar type food, but the drinks are cold.

Of all the thrash of paperwork to get to Malta (which only 1 person was interested in seeing), no one on the return leg to the US asked for anything! Go figure ... ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tony the magnificent said:

Of all the thrash of paperwork to get to Malta (which only 1 person was interested in seeing), no one on the return leg to the US asked for anything! Go figure ... ?

Since it was a Viking chartered flight to USA, Viking already knew your PCR test results were good and told Lufthansa.  It’s the airline’s responsibility to know you’re good to fly.

Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Since it was a Viking chartered flight to USA, Viking already knew your PCR test results were good and told Lufthansa.  It’s the airline’s responsibility to know you’re good to fly.

Tom

Makes sense.  I shoulda known that.  But I'm still in jet lag.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. 🙂

17 hours ago, tony the magnificent said:

Just got home from the Malta Aug 20-Sep 9 Viking Sea and still in jet lag, but getting better.  MLA to EWR flight was really hard on me.  9.5 hrs and flat butt. I do not recommend the chicken meal on Lufthansa, go for the pasta with tomato sauce instead.  Vik offered an overnight at EWR which is a great idea, takes a lot of pain off that return leg, and a bit of unwinding time.  Marriott Airport has sports-bar type food, but the drinks are cold.

Welcome  home.  Thanks for the  heads up about the  meal choices on Lufthansa .

I will be doing the  EWR charter flight to Malta on Oct 11. I have a five hr layover. Is the Lufthansa  club open in Terminal B?  Some have said the United shuttle between terminals is not running. Instead , one has to take the train  from Terminal C-B and go through security  again.

Any light you can shed on the  the EWR airport experience and flight goin over to Malta is much appreciated.

I too  got put up at the Marriott Airport for the night  for my trip to Bermuda.  It was  nice to relax and have a light dinner drink  before going to bed and then flying out to Bermuda the next day at a decent hr. 

Edited by Azulann

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

I have a five hr layover. Is the Lufthansa  club open in Terminal B?

I also have a 5 hour layover in November, so I was checking out the Lufthansa lounge.  The web site is taking reservations, and it says that anyone on any airline can use it as long as they have a boarding pass for a flight that day.

Lufthansa Integration (travelintegration.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JeriGail said:

I also have a 5 hour layover in November, so I was checking out the Lufthansa lounge.  The web site is taking reservations, and it says that anyone on any airline can use it as long as they have a boarding pass for a flight that day.

Lufthansa Integration (travelintegration.com)

You might want to look in it this credit card deal which includes Priority Pass as one of the included amenities. The Lufthansa Lounge is included in their program.  It appears to me the cost would be slightly less than paying for the individual accesses to the lounge and you would have access to other lounges in the future.  

image.png

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, MikeD1000 said:

We are due to fly Air Malta from Heathrow to Valletta on 19 September.  We gather queues can be slow, mainly because of checking additional paperwork.  Other than this can anyone give us an idea of what Air Malta is like to travel on?  And anything on the very early flight back to London?

Thanks to people for some very full information on excursions and food on Viking Sea.

The air malta flight is a pretty standard flight on an economy airline. Prepare for the flight to be rammed and if you have a case as a carry on they will try and get you to check it in. I resisted this but was told they may take it off me at the gate, but they didn’t. The early morning return flight is at 7.15 and you leave the ship around 5.00am.  You do gain an hour on the final night though due to the time difference between Malta and Greece. Viking provide “breakfast” from 4.30am in the Viking bar, but this consisted of weak orange juice and a croissant, yogurt and banana.

2 hours ago, mancunian said:

Could someone who has been on a recent cruise please tell me which ports you were able to go ashore by yourself.

Many thanks

The land situation changed daily.   We flew home on Sep 9, at that time Croatia was open for individual exploration (except Kotor which we passed by), Greece was closed except for organized tours, and Malta was in between (as we left, we heard they allowed it).  Keep checking.  Expect the worst, hope for the best, enjoy what you get.

• Like 7

I must admit. Knowing the flight will be rammo, does worry me. My carry on is hard shell and would be a prime candidate for a snatch for hold..... Except it will contain several £000s of camera gear and £2k laptop which I would refuse to be seperated from. There is zero chance it would be insured.

Luckily, it will also contain lithium batteries which is illegal to be placed in hold..... And I do wonder after all the signage of what's been packed, how many things they then go ahead without a care in the world. Scary when you think about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tony the magnificent said:

The land situation changed daily.   We flew home on Sep 9, at that time Croatia was open for individual exploration (except Kotor which we passed by), Greece was closed except for organized tours, and Malta was in between (as we left, we heard they allowed it).  Keep checking.  Expect the worst, hope for the best, enjoy what you get.

8/30 cruise. We are in Athens now for second day. No self exploration but we do have to walk through the cruise terminal to our excursion buses...so there are a couple shops & a duty free  in there to explore. Yes the second day back ( Sept.10)  in Valletta things opened up & we were able to self explore. We did the included tour yesterday & it was an excellent 3 1/2 hr....Panoramic Athens & Archaeological Museum. Excellent Historians on board to educate you on the history & wonders to be seen! In Kalamata the included was Palace of Nestor, excellent also. Some of the excavated artifacts from there were pointed out to us at the museum yesterday. We think Viking has really excelled on all these included tours this time!  So glad we came, in spite of all the paper work & stress. Wonderful to cruise & explore safely!

2 hours ago, BQEC said:

Clay. I have been following your posts. Thank you for the cc information post 1343. I will look into this as well. 

Happy to help. I had this information saved due to a cruising friend who is sailing to Dubai in November (she hopes) and their flight hone doesn’t leave until 2 am on disembarkation day so she was trying to figure out the cheapest way to get lounge access so they could take a shower before getting on the long flight back. 

2 minutes ago, Tennis Gal 17 said:

I received an email from Lufthansa to download all of our covid information, etc before 12 hours of travel. We are on the charter flight out of Newark. Is this necessary to do this again since we have already downloaded all the documents to Viking and Malta? We leave on Saturday.

Thank you!

It probably isn't and I expect its an auto generated email - but in short, please don't ignore it. Better to do what it says to be completely safe. From the reports I seem to be hearing, airlines are not even checking half the stuff we are required to do... but heaven help us if they pick on us to be officious with and we missed something. 

I'm filling out the PLF that was the predecessor to the online form - just in case. The UK gov website suggests we need both. I doubt its true and it is a pain - but not as painful getting told "no form no travel".