Princess Vacation Protection - for expenses before/after the cruise?

PaperSniper4

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I often get Princess insurance to cover the cruise (and air) and for cancel for any reason.

I get a 3rd party insurance to cover days before cruise and after. I only insure the hotel costs (and air if applicable) before and after and then include the entire trip dates. This way medical is covered by 3rd party insurance for the entire trip.

I also get medjet assist.

One of the articles I read at one of the mass insurance brokers said that if you don't cover all the expenses for a trip, they can cancel your insurance if they discover that during the process of investigating a claim.  Anyone hear that before?  Your solution sounds good, but I wonder if it is considered appropriated.

8 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

One of the articles I read at one of the mass insurance brokers said that if you don't cover all the expenses for a trip, they can cancel your insurance if they discover that during the process of investigating a claim.  Anyone hear that before?  Your solution sounds good, but I wonder if it is considered appropriated.

Insuring all non-refundable expenses is one of the requirements to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver. The waiver can be voided if the insured does not include all non-refundable expenses.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

5 hours ago, Babr said:

Insuring all non-refundable expenses is one of the requirements to qualify for the pre-existing conditions waiver. The waiver can be voided if the insured does not include all non-refundable expenses.

You have to cover all non-refundable expenses - not all expenses.

If you have Platinum PVP, then your cruise fare is refunded to you by Princess in cash (if covered reason) or in a voucher (if not covered). Note that the voucher refund is not insurance - it is a refund from Princess. Note that insurance will generally not pay for expenses that are refunded in a voucher - you can't get both the refund and the voucher. Since I will receive a voucher from Princess if I cancel, the cruise cost may not be considered a nonrefundable expense.

I do not have any specific experience with this, and I haven't seen any posts specifically addressing this. Since this is a question about other insurance and not specifically about PVP, you are probably better asking it in the travel insurance forum instead of in the Princess forum.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, Coral said:

I often get Princess insurance to cover the cruise (and air) and for cancel for any reason.

I get a 3rd party insurance to cover days before cruise and after. I only insure the hotel costs (and air if applicable) before and after and then include the entire trip dates. This way medical is covered by 3rd party insurance for the entire trip.

I also get medjet assist.

I assume you do this just to get the medical coverage for the pre- and post- cruise days because insuring the hotels is not necessary unless you choose the take-or-pay option for a lower rate. Otherwise hotels are refundable. If you are insuring independently booked air, that is also problematic since airlines give vouchers for flights you cancel. In that case, the insurance company considers you have been reimbursed.

That leaves medical which is redundant because the combination of PVP and your primary insurance should cover you for any expense since PVP will likely cover anything not covered by primary. I say that because mine limits out-of-pocket expenses annually. If I were to meet the dollar limit, insurance would pay 100%.

If yours is different, then a third level of coverage makes since. 

The additional policy provides extra medical coverage for the few days you are not covered by Princess, but it can still be important if the unthinkable happens on one of those days. I wonder if a medical only would be less expensive or perhaps an annual medical only if you travel often.

I answered my own question with a hypothetical search on a travel insurance website. Medical only for a single trip is about one third the cost of a comprehensive plan. There is no need to pay for cancellation already covered by PVP. If your concern is medical only, there are policies for that.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Babr said:

I assume you do this just to get the medical coverage for the pre- and post- cruise days because insuring the hotels is not necessary unless you choose the take-or-pay option for a lower rate. Otherwise hotels are refundable. If you are insuring independently booked air, that is also problematic since airlines give vouchers for flights you cancel. In that case, the insurance company considers you have been reimbursed.

That leaves medical which is redundant because the combination of PVP and your primary insurance should cover you for any expense since PVP will likely cover anything not covered by primary. I say that because mine limits out-of-pocket expenses annually. If I were to meet the dollar limit, insurance would pay 100%.

If yours is different, then a third level of coverage makes since. 

The additional policy provides extra medical coverage for the few days you are not covered by Princess, but it can still be important if the unthinkable happens on one of those days. I wonder if a medical only would be less expensive or perhaps an annual medical only if you travel often.

My medical coverage doesn't cover well outside of the US.

I have looked at medical only and the way I do it works out cheaper. Crazy but I have ran the numbers.

• Thanks 1