Edge June 26th recap

Jeremiah1212

We did a semi last minute sailing on the ‘inaugural’ return to service for Edge. Due to some work related issues we actually didn’t even know with 100% confidence that we could go until Tuesday afternoon - 3 days before departure. I had no intent to sail so soon but here we were, bags packed and ready to go.

We are both fairly well traveled and no stranger to air travel. I usually roll my eyes a bit at the ones who suggest people travel 3-4 days prior to a cruise, especially on domestic flights. I’ll spare the details but we were probably within an hour of missing the ship. Luckily, at a fairly steep cost, things turned in our favor and we were able to get into MIA very early Saturday morning. We had to buy last minute air tickets and lost our hotel stay but that was a small price to pay to actually meet the ship on time.

After months and months of anticipation on what cruising would actually look like and how it would feel, I was eager but a little apprehensive to go on this particular cruise. Then of course at the very last minute the ship entered the ubiquitous ‘red’ status on the CDC site. Thanks to Cruise Critic themselves for making a semi-official statement that the ship would still sail as planned.

This would also be my first time on Edge after having sailed several cruises on S class ships. I know there are several threads on this cruise so I will summarize our experience.

EDGE

The ship is beautifully designed

Magic Carpet is a really fun space with great views down the ship

Four MDR concept is nice

Tons and tons of seating in lounges and around the ship

Great use of space in public areas and in staterooms

Cabin design is really efficient

Bathroom and shower are noticeably larger than S class

Martini Bar location is not great. Perhaps the changes with Beyond will work better

Sunset Bar feels a little sterile. Again, changes coming with Beyond.

I’m indifferent on the Infinite Veranda. I really liked some features about the room setup but did miss a traditional balcony a few times.

COVID response

This cruise really felt no different than a 2019 cruise. We either had 2 or zero unvaccinated adults onboard. A few people said the two unvaccinated adults rescheduled but I cannot confirm. Check in was simple. Wait for your time! Show your barcode on the app and your vaccination card at two points and you’re on the ship. Could not have been any easier. Utilize check-in through the app! Unless you aren’t able to navigate the app, this is a big time saver. Several people onboard and been on Adventure from Nassau where you can’t stand at a bar after ordering, theatre seats are blocked, etc. None of that was present on Edge. The only noticeable difference is in the buffet. With that said I would absolutely do it again.

The sailaway from Port Everglades and meeting Reflection and Equinox outside of Nassau are definitely our most memorable cruise experiences to date! Right now we have no plans to cruise again until February but we are going to see how things play out in Greece with our eyes on the 9/18 Apex cruise. Job well done to Capt. Kate and the entire team and crew for making this an excellent cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

We did a semi last minute sailing on the ‘inaugural’ return to service for Edge. Due to some work related issues we actually didn’t even know with 100% confidence that we could go until Tuesday afternoon - 3 days before departure. I had no intent to sail so soon but here we were, bags packed and ready to go.

We are both fairly well traveled and no stranger to air travel. I usually roll my eyes a bit at the ones who suggest people travel 3-4 days prior to a cruise, especially on domestic flights. I’ll spare the details but we were probably within an hour of missing the ship. Luckily, at a fairly steep cost, things turned in our favor and we were able to get into MIA very early Saturday morning. We had to buy last minute air tickets and lost our hotel stay but that was a small price to pay to actually meet the ship on time.

After months and months of anticipation on what cruising would actually look like and how it would feel, I was eager but a little apprehensive to go on this particular cruise. Then of course at the very last minute the ship entered the ubiquitous ‘red’ status on the CDC site. Thanks to Cruise Critic themselves for making a semi-official statement that the ship would still sail as planned.

This would also be my first time on Edge after having sailed several cruises on S class ships. I know there are several threads on this cruise so I will summarize our experience.

EDGE

The ship is beautifully designed

Magic Carpet is a really fun space with great views down the ship

Four MDR concept is nice

Tons and tons of seating in lounges and around the ship

Great use of space in public areas and in staterooms

Cabin design is really efficient

Bathroom and shower are noticeably larger than S class

Martini Bar location is not great. Perhaps the changes with Beyond will work better

Sunset Bar feels a little sterile. Again, changes coming with Beyond.

I’m indifferent on the Infinite Veranda. I really liked some features about the room setup but did miss a traditional balcony a few times.

COVID response

This cruise really felt no different than a 2019 cruise. We either had 2 or zero unvaccinated adults onboard. A few people said the two unvaccinated adults rescheduled but I cannot confirm. Check in was simple. Wait for your time! Show your barcode on the app and your vaccination card at two points and you’re on the ship. Could not have been any easier. Utilize check-in through the app! Unless you aren’t able to navigate the app, this is a big time saver. Several people onboard and been on Adventure from Nassau where you can’t stand at a bar after ordering, theatre seats are blocked, etc. None of that was present on Edge. The only noticeable difference is in the buffet. With that said I would absolutely do it again.

The sailaway from Port Everglades and meeting Reflection and Equinox outside of Nassau are definitely our most memorable cruise experiences to date! Right now we have no plans to cruise again until February but we are going to see how things play out in Greece with our eyes on the 9/18 Apex cruise. Job well done to Capt. Kate and the entire team and crew for making this an excellent cruise.

Sounds great, thanks for posting.  Ms. LLP and Ms. Hoppen apparently did good by you!!

22 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If at all possible we ALWAYS come in the day before for just this reason.

With all of SWAs cancellations as of recent I spent a few $ more to rebook our outbound flights JUST in case their are cancellations it gives us time to find other options.

Thanks for your thoughts--our first E class is in just a couple weeks!!!

Edited by KKB