Inaugural Greece cruise June 19th

Mocamps

We've just been on our 2nd Windstar cruise on Wind Star in Greece. It was the inaugural Wind Star cruise and we loved it! It was great being back at sea again and the crew couldn't do enough for us! We felt well looked after and just loved the whole experience. In fact, it was MUCH better than our first trip on Wind Star in Panama. We were allowed to do our own thing in each port which probably helped as we're not really keen on organised excursions. I don't regard Wind Star as being as luxurious as Silversea or Regent (who it seems to often be compared with and who we've also cruised with ) but it was great value and the staff are right up there! I love the way they all address us by name - I just don't know how they do it!

The watersports platform was in use on 3 occasions which was much better than our previous cruise where we only saw it once. And this cruise confirmed our suspicions that the sails on Wind Star are purely decorative!! There were a few guests who we heard complaining that the sails aren't used much and that the Sailaway experience wasn't quite what they expected so they were disappointed. This was how we felt on our first cruise where we compared it to our experience on the Royal Clipper (Star Clippers) which is a true 'tall ship' and where the engines were turned off and we properly sailed out of port accompanied by the same rousing music! On this cruise we weren't expecting that so we weren't disappointed. The sails look nice but they don't really do anything! So don't expect a genuine sailing experience!

Perhaps the only downside for us on this cruise was some of the other guests who refused to comply with the Covid requirements (wearing masks, distancing etc) and were loud and outspoken about their political views.  Now, I totally understand that we all have differing views on what we should and shouldn't have to do given that we are all vaccinated (though not all crew were) but I do think it is very disrespectful to those people who are a bit more anxious (which we actually aren't but we have sympathy for those who are) to openly state that they disagree with the rules and will NOT comply. We were given plenty of information about what would be required so my view is that if you don't like those rules, don't book the cruise! It's not fair or reasonable to expect everyone else to comply with individual views and it put the crew in a difficult position. There was also a very noticeable political divide amongst the mainly American guests and that was mainly evidenced by whether or not people were prepared to wear masks! I think that the fact that this cruise had almost exclusively Americans on it was probably rather unusual and due to the more arduous restrictions being placed on some European cruisers, but if anything would put me off cruising again on a small ship, it would be this, and not Windstar itself.

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much for this gives me hope,  for all is well, will be well for WS.

It is amazing to me the rudeness which represents entitlement of some passengers. One would think grateful would enter their vocabulary.  Grateful be be in a glorious country such as Greece on a vacation,  on a glorious ship, and healthy!  I hope they did not ruin it with WS and small ships, they should not have that kind of power over you. Thanks again. Happy Sailing and Good Health.

Thank you for the lovely and informative review. What you experienced is exactly what is keeping us from committing to our next Windstar, or any, cruise. The rules are very clear on the company's website and I would expect people to comply but I think these people have followed their "leader " and feel entitled.  I have a family member who is a senior flight attendant and they are the recipients of  the wrath of this rude and entitled group.  A terrible shame. Windstar has such a lovely crew and a wonderful reputation for pleasing all. I hope that it all works itself out as time goes on.

That was a very comprehensive report. Thanks for posting it. Lucky you for being able to get back on the water!

How did the management deal with the non maskers? Were there any repercussions? I think being around willfully noncompliant people would stress me out just because of the disregard for the crew.

• Like 1

They didn’t seem to confront them but maybe they did in private?
But, if they did, they didn’t take any notice! I did explain to one guy, who announced openly that they didn’t bother with masks, that we weren’t wearing them for our own safety but to protect others, and especially the crew members who hadn’t all been doubly vaccinated. I just thought it as more respectful, because they ALL wore them without exception.

It did wind me up and I think it was having a knock-on effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1