RC Marinier 7 days inside or NCL Dawn 7 days balcony?

AnthonyD

Hello to all the members! This is my first post.

I'm going on a honeymoon in early June. I've never cruised before. I'm booked on RCI Mariner for the Western Carribean (caymens, jamaica, cozumel) but yesterday I saw an NCL sailing to Bermuda and Bahamas with a balcony for the same price. I'd love a balcony on RCI but it is out of my budget. Should I go NCL just for the balcony? Thanks.

Anthony

I personally wouldn't. My parents did NCL 2 years ago and were not impressed. They said the food was really good, but that was it. With Royal Caribbean you'll get so much more for your money. Remember, you get what you pay for!

Also, I think NCL seems to attract an older crowd, do you want to be on a ship that is in bed at 9pm?:rolleyes:

Hi

I actualy preferred NCL over RCCL. I sailed the NCL Dawn in December 2005 11 night Western Carribean and was very pleased. I have sailed most cruiselines and NCL seemed to to make a nice fit with my travel needs. I loved the Freestyle dining feature and the crowd was very god onboard with a great age range. The ship itself is beautiful with some great artwork around. I also enjoyed my suite and best of all, nothing like sailing from NYC!!

I did enjoy RCCL, sailing both Explorer and Voyager but after NCL, I will stick with them. Oh yeah, balcony is the best way to go!!!

Either choice, your sure to enjoy.

I would give it some thought...

It looks to me like the itinerary however would be the breaker...If its only Bermuda and Bahamas...That no where competes with Mariners Eastern or Western routes IMHO.

The Dawn is a very nice ship,and if you are not that into all the extras on Mariner..It could really be worth it..I am definitly all about having a balcony as well,and will never do another 7 day without at least a window..So...way out what is more important to you...If you really want a balcony,take it....But if ports are more important,the Mariners Eastern is way better,and the Western pretty good as well.Also keep in mind,depending on when you are going...Bermuda gets skipped a lot..Especially during hurricane season.You could find yourself on a Canadian cruise instead of a Caribbean.

I don't like NCL's freestyle of dining..But that would not be a deciding factor.

Also...Depending on how much time you have before you book,or before you go...If you decide on Mariner,keep your eyes on the prices...Most sailings have a period when a balcony price will drop....Usually at the final payment,but also...If you book far enough out....theres a period when they will dip...I booked in Oct 04 for OCt 05 on Mariner.I originally booked an inside.I ended up with a corner aft...E1..for 50 pp more than my inside.

Definately the Dawn over the Mariner. Especially since it's a balcony cabin. I've been on both lines (and most of the others) and since it's your first time and your honeymoon, the Balcony will be a place for the 2 of you to escape. A inside on the Mariner doesn't seem to be too romantic. I was on the Mariner this past fall. You can do the eastern/western anytime, but Bermuda sounds great. The Dawn is my vote.

Bermuda is a great place to go. It is a fabulous island (my favorite). You can rent mopeds and tour the whole island. The beaches are the best!! Staying at a resort in Bermuda is very expensive. Having the cruise ship as your resort allows you to explore the whole island much cheaper. If you are young and have no children, Bermuda is the place to go. I say no children only because the best way to see Bermuda is on mopeds, and I don't know that I would be comfortable with kids in tow. Shopping in Bermuda is also great, as well as the nightlife. Go NCL and head to Bermuda, you won't be dissappointed!!

We've been on the Mariner twice... inside cabin both times. We were on the Dawn once... were lucky enough to get a balcony.

Our next RCI cruise will be our 1st Diamond cruise. That being said, if the price is close, I would take a Dawn balcony over a Mariner inside room. Overall, we prefer RCI but the Dawn is one of Norwegian's newer ships and has a couple things we prefer over RCI... the main thing being a cookout every day at lunchtime by the pool, something I really wish RCI would do (I write it in the comments every time we cruise on RCI)

We've enjoyed ourselves on every cruise we've taken but a balcony does add a nice touch. The major difference between RCI and NCL is that RCI has assigned seating for dinner and NCL doesn't. You can go to dinner on NCL anytime in a number of different specialty restaurants as well as the main dining rooms. The Mariner has assigned seating in the main dining room and two specialty restaurants. On both cruise lines, it would be wise to make reservations well in advance (once you're on the ship) if you want to go to any of the specialty restaurants.

Just my two cents.

Tim

actualy preferred NCL over RCCL. I sailed the NCL Dawn in December 2005 11 night Western Carribean and was very pleased. I have sailed most cruiselines and NCL seemed to to make a nice fit with my travel needs. I loved the Freestyle dining feature and the crowd was very god onboard with a great age range. The ship itself is beautiful with some great artwork around. I also enjoyed my suite and best of all, nothing like sailing from NYC!!

I feel just the opposite, we have a free cruise on the Dawn due to something that happened when we were on a group cruise, but will probably never use it. Now before someone asks for it, it was a group thing and we all have to agree to go, so I can not give our share away. And None of us really cared for the ship: layout food, cabins, or freestyle.

Anthony, I agree it's a close call. I will never again cruise without a balcony but my one experience with NCL was not good. Granted it was years ago. I've been pretty loyal to RCL for years now so if I had to chose one of those two picks I'd try NCL again if only for the balcony. It is so much better than inside. You feel like you’re in a cave for a week in an inside cabin. Even if your service isn’t very good (and that was my only problem with NCL) your room will make it tolerable and you’ll know there are better cruise lines out there for future cruises.

I am with the majority, I would choose the Bermuda NCL cruise with the balcony. I think for your honeymoon you will enjoy the use of the balcony and Bermuda itself, because it is a gorgeous island. Let us know what you decide! And congrats!

I love the Mariner! That being said, I would definitely choose the Dawn. I have heard good things about the Dawn and you will enjoy the balcony for your honeymoon. I have not been to Bermuda yet but would love to visit. Again, I've heard wonderful things about Bermuda.

This is my opinion but I think RCI wins by a land slide. My first con for NCL, some and most of their ships don't have good or any stabilizers on there ships, which can be a terrible experience in minor waves. We were on the NCL Dream last year and it was terrible compared to RCI. On our Voyager cruise, I could see 7 - 10 waves and the boat was completely still. In fact you won't realize you're on a ship until you go outside if you go on the Mainer. On the dream my water was spilling during 2 different dinners and I missed Lobster night because I couldn't sit at the table without rolling back and forth (I'm in a wheelchair for those who don't know). I'm not a fan of the freestyle dinning for a few reasons: the service is nowhere near RCI because you don't get familiarity because your at different tables with different waiters. I thought the selection on the menus was weak compared to RCI. The assigned sitting on RCI cruises lets you become great friends with the staff which gets better service as the cruise goes on plus you make friends with your table mates. All in all RCI boats are more elegant and bigger with more activities. If you are active then the Dawn would be a let down compared to the Mariner. I know you NCL lovers are going to yell but for me I don't see any comparison expect if you rather the freestyle dinning.

I'm surprised so many people put the balcony at the top of the list on why to choose a cruise. I choose itinerary than food than activities. I had a balcony on the Rhapsody and barley used it because it's only water to look at for the majority of the time. If you like to stay in the room than the balcony would be good but I rather save the money and spend it on excursions. For me I use the room to sleep from midnight to 7:00 am which makes no difference if you have a balcony.

Like a previous poster I too got a credit refund because how bad the NCL cruise was and I'm not going to use the credits because it was that bad.

My neice and husband just returned from NCL. They were bored to tears the entire time. All of us who have cruised so much were disappointed for them because this was their first cruise and they were turned off by it. (We're even chipping in for their Holiday Cruise with us on Mariner) Their feedback was that all actitivies were geared toward the older interests. (crocheting classes for example) They were about the only people at the pool. The night clubs were dead. They didn't make friends and didn't see ANYBODY even close to their ages ... mid 20s.

My preference is a balcony, however it WOULD NEVER influence my decision on a ship. This next Mariner, for the same price, I opted to book two Promenade rooms instead of a balcony...one for me and DH and one for 14 / 4 yr old. The balcony is nice, but for a first time cruise, I don't think it is THAT BIG OF A DEAL. With the RCCL ships, there is soooooooooooo much open space on the decks and lots of noks and crannys to enjoy the night air or whatever you choose.

Just my own opinion............please don't blast me.

We've been on both. Both with balconys. Loved them both, liked freestyle, regular dining is ok too. I think it also depends on the time of year you travel. We went on the Dawn during Easter break and the Voyager in Aug. Both ships were full, I wouldn't say anything was "boring". There were tons of people at the pools, young & old. I would have a hard time chosing between the two ships.

I'm surprised so many people put the balcony at the top of the list on why to choose a cruise. I choose itinerary than food than activities. I had a balcony on the Rhapsody and barley used it because it's only water to look at for the majority of the time. If you like to stay in the room than the balcony would be good but I rather save the money and spend it on excursions. For me I use the room to sleep from midnight to 7:00 am which makes no difference if you have a balcony.

Like a previous poster I too got a credit refund because how bad the NCL cruise was and I'm not going to use the credits because it was that bad.

Again, I am not an NCL person, but I don't think you can compare Norwegian Dream and the Dawn. Two completely different ships, ans significant ly different in age.

Archived