Apply FCC to same cruise?

Hi all - searched but didn't find this exact question, but please direct me if I've missed something.  We are on the Harmony OTS Transatlantic 10/31/21.  We originally booked a balcony, and subsequently a junior suite opened up.  Since there didn't seem to be a way to change cabin category on an existing reservation online (I'm sure I missed something) I phoned in.  The CSR said that I needed to cancel the first reservation and make a new one, so I did.  Now I'm being told that I can't apply the FCC from the first reservation to the second reservation.  Same cruise, same passengers, just a different rez for a different cabin category.  They say I can use it on a future cruise but not on the same cruise. 

I searched their FAQs on FCC and I don't see this restriction anywhere  - has anyone been told this before?  It's a little frustrating to have to double-pay $900 when they are holding $900 of ours captive.  

Thanks in advance! 

For starters, the CSR was wrong. There is no reason to have to cancel a reservation on a sailing in order to upgrade to a higher category on the same sailing. While there is no way to do it online, we’ve done this at least once or twice a year on booked cruises. We have one coming up in November on Harmony that we’ve upgraded twice so far from a balcony to a JS to a grand suite just by calling the C&A desk and having them make the change to our existing reservation.

Edited by orville99

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

For starters, the CSR was wrong. There is no reason to have to cancel a reservation on a sailing in order to upgrade to a higher category on the same sailing. While there is no way to do it online, we’ve done this at least once or twice a year on booked cruises. We have one coming up in November on Harmony that we’ve upgraded twice so far from a balcony to a JS to a grand suite just by calling the C&A desk and having them make the change to our existing reservation.

I thought it was odd, or at least not customer friendly.  Thanks Orville!  

Curious if anyone knows about this restriction on the use of FCCs?

1 minute ago, Brucemcdou said:

No restriction but the whole thing got screwed up when you cancelled - there would have been no FCC involved at all.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

No restriction but the whole thing got screwed up when you cancelled - there would have been no FCC involved at all.

yeah; it clearly flusters them.  There's nothing on the FAQs that mentions this at all.  

1 hour ago, Brucemcdou said:

Yes, there are restrictions on using an FCC on the same cruise that it was issued from.  The restriction was originally put in place to prevent people from cancelling after final payment and booking the same cruise at a cheaper rate.

Given that it was a gross error on the part of the CSR I would push hard for an exemption to this policy

Hello,

Whilst writing this I am, at the same time, desperately  searching for  a word.

I 100% sympathise with the OP but, and here vocabulary fails me, I am pleased? (No), relieved? (Hmm - possibly), to read that having incompetent CSRs isn't the sole prerogative of UK passengers. My TA, who bears the brunt of resolving the difficulties, wonders why he took-up this profession.

My advice to the OP would be never accept the first CSR's answer to anything unless it's what you want/expect.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2