Question re Booking Guarantee Stateroom

We are thinking about booking a guarantee stateroom for an April 2022 cruise.  In the past when we have booked guarantee, we were assigned the cabin within a few weeks of booking.  We were able to call RCCL and change cabins to a different cabin location, in the same category of that once it was assigned.  This was about 10 years ago.  Has anyone done this more recently?  Just trying to see if it's still permitted.  I know we take our chances on location with a guarantee, but just wanting to see if this was still an available option.

5 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

We are thinking about booking a guarantee stateroom for an April 2022 cruise.  In the past when we have booked guarantee, we were assigned the cabin within a few weeks of booking.  We were able to call RCCL and change cabins to a different cabin location, in the same category of that once it was assigned.  This was about 10 years ago.  Has anyone done this more recently?  Just trying to see if it's still permitted.  I know we take our chances on location with a guarantee, but just wanting to see if this was still an available option.

Yes it is still permitted

29 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

In the past when we have booked guarantee, we were assigned the cabin within a few weeks of booking. 

While the ability to move cabins on GTY booking is the same as in the past, the assignments seem to be coming much closer to the sailing date leaving very little inventory to move to. This is likely won’t be much of an issue until capacity gets closer to 100%. 

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

While the ability to move cabins on GTY booking is the same as in the past, the assignments seem to be coming much closer to the sailing date leaving very little inventory to move to. 

Thanks.  That definitely makes sense.  

16 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

Thanks for your reply.  Have you done this recently?  

Funny thing is I don't usually book guarantees but I have one for an upcoming cruise on the Allure and I got my cabin assignment and NEVER thought to look to see what's available.  I just looked and emailed my TA to see if he can change my cabin.  Will let you know what happens  Thanks for this post 😇

Just now, molly361 said:

Funny thing is I don't usually book guarantees but I have one for an upcoming cruise on the Allure and I got my cabin assignment and NEVER thought to look to see what's available.  I just looked and emailed my TA to see if he can change my cabin.  Will let you know what happens  Thanks for this post 😇

Please do keep me posted!  When is your sailing?  Our cruise isn't until April, so just trying to see if how far out they are assigning cabins, even though I know it can vary.  

1 hour ago, CyberTag said:

Please do keep me posted!  When is your sailing?  Our cruise isn't until April, so just trying to see if how far out they are assigning cabins, even though I know it can vary.  

My TA just got my guarantee cabin changed for my October Allure cruise.  I got my cabin assigned within a couple of weeks but I have also heard that it has been taking longer for them to get assigned  Good luck

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

My TA just got my guarantee cabin changed for my October Allure cruise.  I got my cabin assigned within a couple of weeks but I have also heard that it has been taking longer for them to get assigned  Good luck

Great!  Thank you!  Now we just need to figure out if we want to do the suite guarantee on our April cruise; we are fine with a jr suite. We are diamond and close to diamond plus so this 4 times the points would be great!  

• Like 1

We booked a GTY one time .switched to a handi-cap cabin 2 days before the sailing when someone released it just 2 days before the sailing.

At that time they allow it even though we weren't handi -capped.

Worked great for us, gave us lot more room for a 14 night RT to Hawaii from San Diego.

So keep checking for cabins in your same category right up to the sailing date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

We are booked GTY for a cruise next August, and have never done this. How do you find out your cabin assignment, through you travel agent? By checking your account?  Thanks.

Either way will work............Check on My Cruises, don't count on your TA telling you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, flamingos said:

We are booked GTY for a cruise next August, and have never done this. How do you find out your cabin assignment, through you travel agent? By checking your account?  Thanks.

I open the cruise planner every morning, click on view more details and then say not yet.  It has been two months and we sail in January 2022 on Navigator

• Like 1

I am 30 days from sailing and have not yet received my cabin assignment (booked about 100 days ago). I also check every day! They just sent out an email re upgrade bids (Royal Up), so they may be waiting for all that to shake out before assigning the cabin. 

• Like 1