Potential first ever cruise -solo- uk cruise — crazy idea?

cspnvdl

Hello all,

Interested in anyone’s thoughts — I’ve been keen on trying a cruise for some time - there are some aspects of the UK cruise happening this month (on the 21st) that appeal.

Firstly it seems to be excellent value for money, especially with no single supplement. I am also absolutely desperate for a relaxing break and it seems like it should definitely  tick that box. The idea of just spending some days watching the coast go by definitely appeals after what has been a really tough 18 months. 

On the other side of the equation I’ve never actually been on a cruise so far,  and as I haven’t found anyone keen on joining,I would  be going by myself — which potentially as we are still in the middle of covid may be doubly bad — happy to eat etc by myself but don’t really want to get on a ship and have a total hermit existence for a week. That and I get the general impression that at 40 I am probably going to be at the younger end of the general demographic. As I say nothing decided yet, although clearly time is running a little short. Am I mad to be considering this?

• Like 1

I think there will be a number of solo travellers on these cruises, these deals don’t happen often so get snapped up. We have done a scenic shores cruise and whilst you would be at the younger end of the demographic, it certainly wasn’t a cruise full of oldies. I would say go for it…what have you got to lose?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, cspnvdl said:

I would  be going by myself — which potentially as we are still in the middle of covid may be doubly bad — happy to eat etc by myself but don’t really want to get on a ship and have a total hermit existence for a week. That and I get the general impression that at 40 I am probably going to be at the younger end of the general demographic. As I say nothing decided yet, although clearly time is running a little short. Am I mad to be considering this?

Being way past 40 and not from the UK, I would still say heartily, go for it!  We took the first Iceland cruise and had a wonderful time.  Even with restrictions, it was easy to make friends, and you can sit distanced in the restaurant and still talk to others.  And we found on the excursions, that the same people turned up with us again and again.  We all just enjoyed the same things. The Viking experience is wonderful. Treat yourself!  I cannot imagine you would regret it!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

Granted that I have traveled w/ my husband on my earlier Viking Ocean cruises, I would not hesitate to take advantage of the no single supplement  and travel on Viking Ocean by myself.  First, other passengers are very friendly and though people will be cautious given Covid, I don't think you will feel isolated.  The ship staff is extremely friendly and kind so you will always find a friendly face.  I have seen other singles travel solo on cruises and do fine.  And I have run into other half of couples that are not joined at the hip and had nice interactions w/ these individuals.  I think you will have a very relaxing cruise and would enjoy the break.

Go ahead and book it.   It looks like a good offer for single travellers and it is probably one of the best, safest and hassle free cruise experiences you are going to get at the moment during these covid times.On small ships it is easier to meet people although as previously pointed out due to covid people may be more cautious.  I believe that on the UK cruises in June you could ask to share a table in the main dining room.  I think that they were available for up to 6 people, so that is one way of getting to know others.  Many ships organise events especially for solo travellers , don't know if Viking do but if they are promoting these cruises for solos there could well be some.

• Like 2

I'm about to go on my second solo cruise. Do it! I think a cruise is the perfect option for solo travel. There are usually other solo travelers too connect with. Also, other couples and groups tend to be very welcoming to including you or inviting you to join them. 

• Like 2

We (DH and myself) did  two weeks in Iceland onboard Sky in July.  Day two the Viking daily listed 7:00 PM "Solo Travelers Meet & Greet" in the Explorers Lounge.  It s very easy to find good conversation on board a Viking ship, we have found fellow passengers very friendly.  Go for it, I bet you will love it.  Let us all know when you return if we are correct. 

Hello, if you join the book of faces ‘we love Viking cruises (uk)’ there is an event page for 21 Aug sailing, and that would help you get to know a few people in advance. I am going on the two earlier weeks with a somewhat reluctant hubby - so he may get off for the second week and leave me to cruise as a single, fine by me - lots of books to get through apart from anything else!

I went on my first cruise when I was about 40--it was with my mother, but I still had a great time! You'd be surprised; yes, many of the passengers are older, but they are almost all active and ready to explore! It's definitely not like visiting a nursing home or senior's center! Lots of people ready to get out there and see exciting and historic places, and who enjoy being pampered. Viking ships have enough room for everyone on board, they don't feel crowded like some other lines can. I'm 48 now, and I've been on several cruise lines since. Viking is really top-of-the line unless you pay a great deal more, and with the zero single supplement, it's a great deal!

I will say that the included excursions can be a bit tame--they are general overview types of excursions meant to get you familiar with a place. (I usually advise taking the ship's tours because the ship is guaranteed not to leave without you; if you take a tour you've arranged independently, and you return too late, the ship will have left already. At that point, you're responsible for the cost of trying to catch up with your ship at the next port...if that is even possible. However, reputable tour operators always do their best to get you back on time. You can find those here or on Tri_____sor--not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of other sites?) In any case, check out some of the "pay extra" tours offered by Viking if you are a bit more adventurous.

• Like 1

@cspnvdl-  Most definitely book your spot. This single supplement waiver is your perfect opportunity to treat yourself & restore your mind, body, & spirit. I've sailed twice before as a solo on Viking & never was in want of company & new friends. On my trans-Atlantic aboard Viking Sky there were about 12 of us solo cruisers of different ages[there were some in their '30's!) & backgrounds. We had frequent hosted dining in The Restaurant with the entertainment staff & solo happy hour up on the second deck of Explorers Lounge.  It was a great group & everyone mixed well. You will be treated like family by the crew I assure you. If this is your first Viking Ocean cruise, get ready to be dazzled & delighted to a level not common on cruise lines today. A Viking cruise must be experienced personally to truly know the uniqueness of the whole experience. The other thing Viking does expertly is creating such a truly relaxed mellow atmosphere. You really are left to do & engage with others at your own comfort level. Nothing is loud or over stimulating. It's never boring either. 

Please go on your cruise & give us your full report!

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 1