Ovation obstructed balcony

discru

Sailing on Ovation. I have a bid in to upgrade cabin as we booked a gty. All of a sudden we have a cabin number...6192. This is an obstructed balcony on Ovation. I’m guessing we didn’t get the bid as we now have an assigned cabin...?  😩Does anyone know how bad the obstruction is for this cabin?  I cannot tell if we are looking directly at a lifeboat, or how obstructed it is. 
Thank you!

2 minutes ago, discru said:

Sailing on Ovation. I have a bid in to upgrade cabin as we booked a gty. All of a sudden we have a cabin number...6192. This is an obstructed balcony on Ovation. I’m guessing we didn’t get the bid as we now have an assigned cabin...?  😩Does anyone know how bad the obstruction is for this cabin?  I cannot tell if we are looking directly at a lifeboat, or how obstructed it is. 
Thank you!

If there are cabins available you can switch to any other cabin in the exact same category.  The obstructed view cabins on deck 7 have a lot less obstruction. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If there are cabins available you can switch to any other cabin in the exact same category.  The obstructed view cabins on deck 7 have a lot less obstruction. 

Ok. Thank you!  I will try to get moved. Little obstruction is better than full obstruction. 

1 hour ago, discru said:

Ok. Thank you!  I will try to get moved. Little obstruction is better than full obstruction. 

I'm on Ovation now for the test cruise. As soon as I leave the show will try to run up there and see if the cabin attendant is in the hallway and try to get a peep if unoccupied or ask the C.A. to look.  

Previously someone posted a nice list of obstructed and partially ob. cabins on deck 6 & 7 Quantum-class ships.

(Of course my list is at home filed with my cruise reference materials!)

• Thanks 1

As near as I can estimate 6192 appears to be a more ideal deck 6 cabin in that it appears to be the middle of a lifeboat away from the davits.  You will have to look over the top of a lifeboat which will be around railing level. 

The more obstructed cabins are the ones where the lifeboat davits are right in front of your balcony, as the davits are much higher than the lifeboat they secure.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, long4acruise said:

Just ran up to view the obstruction outside cabin 6192 but both portside and starboard side hallways are closed off "to official crew staff only".  ???

Will try again quickly tomorrow before disembarking.

That is incredibly sweet of you!!  Thank you for checking for me!  ❤️  I hope you had a blast on the test cruise!

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

As near as I can estimate 6192 appears to be a more ideal deck 6 cabin in that it appears to be the middle of a lifeboat away from the davits.  You will have to look over the top of a lifeboat which will be around railing level. 

The more obstructed cabins are the ones where the lifeboat davits are right in front of your balcony, as the davits are much higher than the lifeboat they secure.

Hmmm... thank you!  I saw a you tube video of a cabin a handful of cabins away and on the opposite side of the ship, and it looked like they were looking smack dab at the middle of a lifeboat, and it literally filled up their view. It must have been the angle they took the video from. I understand I booked a balcony gty, for the first time ever, but that would be crazy!  I would rather have an ocean view than have my entire view be of a lifeboat. I didn’t even think abt the davits, thank you for the info.  Live and learn, I guess. ☹️

5 minutes ago, discru said:

That makes me feel better.. thank you!

What sailing are you on.  I can easily check and see if any are available on deck 7.

edit...looks like by your posts you are on Sept 3.  No other cabins available to switch to.  Looks like you have a good cabin though from Twangsters post

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, discru said:

Hmmm... thank you!  I saw a you tube video of a cabin a handful of cabins away and on the opposite side of the ship, and it looked like they were looking smack dab at the middle of a lifeboat, and it literally filled up their view. It must have been the angle they took the video from. I understand I booked a balcony gty, for the first time ever, but that would be crazy!  I would rather have an ocean view than have my entire view be of a lifeboat. I didn’t even think abt the davits, thank you for the info.  Live and learn, I guess. ☹️

Unfortunately on this class of ship the deck 6 obstructed balcony cabins are the more likely assumption for a guarantee.  That's not always the case with guarantee bookings but it's the price you pay (or lower price you pay) for a guarantee booking.

Here is a look at Ovation from land.  I think you can see what I mean about being in the middle of a lifeboat between the davits.

1470989522_ScreenShot2021-08-04at7_25_18AM.thumb.jpg.9693b92edf031b3a118cd6a5baeb888d.jpg

Look closely you'll see the lifeboat beyond the bed:

OV-Obstructed.jpg.c12c04ed9387306fe6069a74ef2b70ff.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Unfortunately on this class of ship the deck 6 obstructed balcony cabins are the more likely assumption for a guarantee.

Still have not figured out the logic for deeming most of deck 7 as obstructed on Ovation and not on all of her sister ships.

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Still have not figured out the logic for deeming most of deck 7 as obstructed on Ovation and not on all of her sister ships.

Or that the studio balcony cabins make no mention of obstruction yet some are. 

58 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s a couple at the back of the hump that are classed as obstructed which are very good .we have had this one a couple of times.E533E53F-8676-419F-86FE-530FECD157B6.thumb.png.734f79d5f6b5b313fedc16bfaef82695.png

That looks like a great one!  No obstruction...  I would b thrilled with that!

56 minutes ago, twangster said:

Unfortunately on this class of ship the deck 6 obstructed balcony cabins are the more likely assumption for a guarantee.  That's not always the case with guarantee bookings but it's the price you pay (or lower price you pay) for a guarantee booking.

Here is a look at Ovation from land.  I think you can see what I mean about being in the middle of a lifeboat between the davits.

1470989522_ScreenShot2021-08-04at7_25_18AM.thumb.jpg.9693b92edf031b3a118cd6a5baeb888d.jpg

Look closely you'll see the lifeboat beyond the bed:

OV-Obstructed.jpg.c12c04ed9387306fe6069a74ef2b70ff.jpg

Oh, wow!  Thank you for those pics!!  I never noticed a davit before!!  I can manage the lifeboat like that. Not sure why the you tube video showed them looking literally in the windows of the lifeboat... it had to be the camera angle. Whew!  You guys talked me off the emotional edge... thank you! This forum ROCKS and you all are AWESOME!!’

4 minutes ago, discru said:

That looks like a great one!  No obstruction...  I would b thrilled with that!

There’s a couple on each side and for the price we find them good.
One deck down to the promenade and if you leave the balcony door open you can hear the ocean.

26 minutes ago, discru said:

Oh, wow!  Thank you for those pics!!  I never noticed a davit before!!  I can manage the lifeboat like that. Not sure why the you tube video showed them looking literally in the windows of the lifeboat... it had to be the camera angle. Whew!  You guys talked me off the emotional edge... thank you! This forum ROCKS and you all are AWESOME!!’

Search the internet for some side view photos of Ovation and then using a deck plan count forward or aft of the ship humps to find 6192 in the photos online.  I "think" 6192 is a better obstructed cabin but you should come that conclusion on your own as you are one that will have to live with it 🙂 

Try a mock booking to see what other obstructed cabins are available and do the same to compare.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Try a mock booking to see what other obstructed cabins are available and do the same to compare.

I checked their sailing...no cabins available as of today.  Worthwhile to check a couple times a week though in case something opens up.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!!  I called my TA. She called Royal abt moving me to a deck 7 cabin, but Royal said I cannot change cabin location, even within the same category. I had an inside gty years ago and could have sworn I was able to move within the same category. Oh well... looks like my deck 6 is not as awful as I originally thought. 
I can’t thank you all enough for you responses!!