NCL Jade... Covid 19

Krydstosser

I’ve heard that people had to go into quarantine in Greece for at least a week because they tested positive at embarkation. Not sure what their experience was like. NCL did tell me they will provide “upscale hotel and food” for those who have to quarantine. 4 people apparently tested positive at the end of the Celebrity Apex cruise yesterday

1 hour ago, emmak8 said:

This is not looking good for Jade sailing to Dubai and Cape Town later this year. Only 10 % vaccinated in South Africa! Thank you for posting any news in this matter.

I agree.  I seriously doubt that Jade will make it down to Africa this year.   I wonder when they will pull the plug and what they will do with the ship?

2 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

I agree.  I seriously doubt that Jade will make it down to Africa this year.   I wonder when they will pull the plug and what they will do with the ship?

I am on the Athens to Capetown cruises. 

There are several issues I see.  The UAE leg to Cape town has several stops at islands closed to ships.

There are many scheduled cruises doing South Africa round trip  as its the Jades new home port.

I wonder if they maintain the 100% vax it will still go?

Will they start doing an Athens to UAE then reverse till things cool down?

Steve

We were scheduled for Jade out of Capetown on January 14.  We cancelled in July and received our deposit refunded to us 8 days later.  Some cruise lines have already dropped their scheduled S Africa cruises for this coming winter.  Besides the lack of vaccine, there has also been much political rioting the last few weeks.  Too many issues to commit that much money.  And rt business class air is ridiculous, as well as many flights being cancelled.  Maybe we will try in 2023.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I am on the Athens to Capetown cruises. 

There are several issues I see.  The UAE leg to Cape town has several stops at islands closed to ships.

There are many scheduled cruises doing South Africa round trip  as its the Jades new home port.

I wonder if they maintain the 100% vax it will still go?

Will they start doing an Athens to UAE then reverse till things cool down?

Steve

The vaccine rate in South Africa (and Africa generally) is so low, I don't see how NCL can run cruises to/out of there safely.  Way too risky as I see it.  

As you say, maybe they just do Athens to/from UAE runs in the winter.  Another alternative would be to move the ship to Barcelona and do cruises back and forth to the Canaries.

• Like 1

The Jade comes back from its second sailing tomorrow. I’m waiting to hear about any covid positives from the first sailing or the second. We are trying to decide if we should go on September 5th. It’s bad in Florida right now-……but I wouldn’t want to get stuck in Greece if we test positive. 

1 hour ago, favoritevacation said:

The Jade comes back from its second sailing tomorrow. I’m waiting to hear about any covid positives from the first sailing or the second. We are trying to decide if we should go on September 5th. It’s bad in Florida right now-……but I wouldn’t want to get stuck in Greece if we test positive. 

If you aren't OK with possibly having to stay an additional week in quarantine, I would cancel. It's not likely but it could happen. I'm also keeping a close watch on positives on these sailings and I haven't heard of any at the end of the sailing yet. Only at the beginning. 

My son-in-law works for VW in Port Elizabeth. Because of the Covid issue and lack of many vaccinated, there is lockdown and curfews.  The local residents are also prone to having demonstrations in the streets burning tires.  Warnings are issued about driving with windows down and no women out at night.  And Port Elizabeth is considered one of the safest cities in S. Africa.  Not a good cruise ship stop right now.  I looked at Jade listings from Cape Town.  They were there.  But when I tried to access one, it would disappear.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, swafly5909 said:

My husband and I were on the Jade's first full sailing last week, and we didn't hear of any outbreaks after leaving Athens.  

Wow that is wonderful news, I hope you had a great cruise! We are (Hopefully) going on a cruise on 5th of September on NCL Epic from Barcelona.... I looks like it is a "go" (Knock on wood) But time will tell 🙂