Early flight out of AMS

Cruiser24

We had KLM flights out of AMS for this past July 2021 (cruise was cancelled) and after much research we were advised to opt for a noon flight. Best of luck deciding what to do...I'll have this decision to make again for July 2022.

Since you provide no information on when the ship is scheduled to dock, nor about when the cruiseline recommends for earliest flights, nor about the ship and passenger load, nor about where the ship will be docking....

Your answer is:  Maybe.

Actually, a better answer is:  Who can know?

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we had a 12:15 flight  out of AMS 

We were in BUS class so less lines to go through  but it was tight

I would stay over  & get the non stop the next day  or find a later flight  if you want to fly the same day

We docked at POA 8am  had scheduled a driver (shared)  but a lot of stress

JMO

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would stay over  & get the non stop the next day  or find a later flight  if you want to fly the same day

JMO

Staying an extra day makes most sense to me. Frankly, after a trans-atlantic cruise, what's one more day? Even after 30+ visits to Amsterdam and the immediate area, I still always find new things to do...or eat...or drink...or, uh, consume...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

We have an arrival time back into Amsterdam at 6:00am (July 2022 from our Arctic Circle cruise) we're spending 3-4 days pre-cruise there. And will book private transportation to get us back to AMS for our flight home....Still say we shouldn't look at a flight at noon or just a bit after?

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have an arrival time back into Amsterdam at 6:00am (July 2022 from our Arctic Circle cruise) we're spending 3-4 days pre-cruise there. And will book private transportation to get us back to AMS for our flight home....Still say we shouldn't look at a flight at noon or just a bit after?

If you get off by 8am  the airport is 20-30 mins away 

if you do not need to clear any Covid  restrictions at the airport  then you should be OK 

Noon should be ok 10:50 am  maybe not

It is  a personal choice

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you get off by 8am  the airport is 20-30 mins away 

if you do not need to clear any Covid  restrictions at the airport  then you should be OK 

Noon should be ok 10:50 am  maybe not

It is  a personal choice

Thanks, we'll also have the concierge aid us as walk offs (carry our own luggage) we've done this before and were the first off. When the flight schedule opens I'll start looking for a flight (first class) at noon or just after. Hoping by then covid restrictions will be a bit more under control or at least handled better.

Thanks for you input.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks, we'll also have the concierge aid us as walk offs (carry our own luggage) we've done this before and were the first off. When the flight schedule opens I'll start looking for a flight (first class) at noon or just after. Hoping by then covid restrictions will be a bit more under control or at least handled better.

Thanks for you input.

If you are heading to just LAX, let me give you my preferred choice.

I would be taking KLM or AF from AMS to CDG.   Any kind of flight time would be OK, as my suggestion is to then connect to the AF non-stop from CDG to LAX that leaves at 6:10pm arriving 9pm at LAX.

Yes, that makes for a longer day, but made up for by the lie-flat seating on AF.  OTOH, there are some nice advantages.

1) No rushing off the ship and having to carry your own luggage

2) Easy flight schedules with redundancies between AMS and CDG

3) Comfortable connection at CDG.

4) AF hard product on their 777 is much better IMO than that of KL.

Now, that evening flight from CDG operates five days a week - no Sunday or Thursday. 

Just another option to consider -- personally, I really put the seating differences at quite an importance level.  Especially having all seats with full aisle access.

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are heading to just LAX, let me give you my preferred choice.

I would be taking KLM or AF from AMS to CDG.   Any kind of flight time would be OK, as my suggestion is to then connect to the AF non-stop from CDG to LAX that leaves at 6:10pm arriving 9pm at LAX.

Yes, that makes for a longer day, but made up for by the lie-flat seating on AF.  OTOH, there are some nice advantages.

1) No rushing off the ship and having to carry your own luggage

2) Easy flight schedules with redundancies between AMS and CDG

3) Comfortable connection at CDG.

4) AF hard product on their 777 is much better IMO than that of KL.

Now, that evening flight from CDG operates five days a week - no Sunday or Thursday. 

Just another option to consider -- personally, I really put the seating differences at quite an importance level.  Especially having all seats with full aisle access.

Thanks will keep this in mind...We do like booking with DL via KLM. Yes LAX is our destination...so will be doing the round trip. 

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

not sure your date  next year  but  Delta/KLM  have a nonstop  at 12 :45  pm should be easy to catch  that one

Yes...That's the return flight we had booked (Flights by Celebrity) for this past July before our cruise was cancelled. Had an amazing price after two price reductions before everything fell apart. We also had the nonstop outbound flight too.

• Like 1

Thank you for those who had helpful tips.   I wish we could stay for a few days but we get home to EWR on May 13, then leave again out of Bayonne on May 15.  That early flight was the one we could have used airline points on.  Looks like we’ll need to find another option.  Not worth the worry for sure.   We also fly back to AMS on June 20 for the Arctic Circle cruise.  Poor planning on my part but it will be so good to be cruising that I don’t even care.  Thanks again for the help.  Happy Cruising😊