CDG connection time

Pearl64

We are flying Nov. 4, 2021 to Nice hopefully for a cruise.  We are on Delta Comfort +. Originally it was GSP-ATL-JFK-NCE. There was enough time for connections but they cancelled the JFK to NCE. So, they added another stop, CDG with a 2 hour 5 minute layover before our flight to Nice. We don’t think that is enough time since we will  need to go through passport control and Covid info. I had used miles but we are contemplating  cancelling the flights using miles and purchasing a whole new flight with at least 4 hours at CDG and eliminating JFK. How much time is needed at CDG since we have to ride those shuttle buses and passport control? I know in normal times our original times would be tight. But, these are much different times.

Thank you in advance.

I'm no expert at CDG by any means, but 2 hours with any possible Covid restrictions would be less than  I would want, mostly just because of the unknowns. There are so many CDG-NCE flights, it's probably worth calling Delta and seeing if they can put you on a later Air France CDG-NCE flight. Doesn't hurt to ask. 

As an aside, I am surprised JFK-NCE was ever scheduled in November. I figured that was the definition of a summer seasonal route even in pre-Covid times. 

1 hour ago, Pearl64 said:

I had used miles but we are contemplating  cancelling the flights using miles and purchasing a whole new flight with at least 4 hours at CDG and eliminating JFK.

Very surprised that you aren't getting an option to just fly from ATL to CDG.  There are four daily flights (2 on DL, 2 on AF).  Did you inquire on that option?  Someone (or automation) just took the JFK-NCE segment and turned it into JFK-CDG-NCE.  Didn't look further back on your itinerary.

1 hour ago, Pearl64 said:

How much time is needed at CDG since we have to ride those shuttle buses and passport control?

Not sure why you are thinking of buses.  The remote pads have not been in use for years, ever since the completion of the T2E complex, which occupies the space where those remote pads were.  Also, the CDG-NCE flights are all scheduled out of T2E on Airbus 319/320 equipment, so it's not like you are at their "commuter" terminal.

I'd be OK with 2 hours if you can't switch to an ATL-CDG flight.  T2E to T2F is not difficult as connects go, but then I am somewhat familiar with CDG and know to follow the signs and don't dawdle.   And I am not sure what any additional covid issues would arise - just have the proper documentation ready when you process through immigration, which is usually speedy at CDG.  All is spelled out through the US French embassy webpage.

Thank you, Zach and FlyerTalker. After only a two hour wait, I was able to redeposit our miles and use our air credit from another cancelled flight to book new flights. We were able to go from ATL to CDG without going through JFK. Plus we extended our time in CDG. Thank you for the information about no longer are there buses at CDG. While we realize anything can happen, the stress level has been lowered. I always appreciate both of your expertise. Thank you again.

I have done 1 1/2 in CDG.   The key is know which terminal and gate you are landing at and what terminal and gate you are departing from.  It is a big airport but it is manageable.