New quarantine requirements in Netherlands??

Psoque

On 9/10/2021 at 2:27 AM, Roz said:

Still no word from Tauck about my Dec. Holland and Belgium cruise.  Maybe they're hoping things will change by December.  Final payment is in October.  Will 4 days straight in the Netherlands, I don't see a work around.

You will be notified if your sailing is affected.  They are certainly on high alert for any Government changes that seem suddenly,  to be very frequent.  The cruise lines are not going to project out beyond the next couple of sailings.  Already, since the Netherlands announced, now Switzerland (BSL) has raised their level from a 3 to a 4, and now starting Monday Sept 13, all patrons of restaurants, Museums, public gatherings must SHOW A VACCINE card!  this was just earlier this week!  So, as of now, yes, one can visit if vaccinated, and not be quarantined (yet).  But, what will be the next change, or will Germany be next?  So hard to be excited for our October voyage, waiting for the other "shoe to drop".  It's an individual tolerance, but if we were far enough out to get our deposit back, and not pay forward, I would consider it, and then just watch and wait, and rebook if things settle down. This will be the 4th trip planned that is being affected, and to what extent is unfortunately not yet known. Sadly.

• Like 1

After two canceled Viking River cruises, we are scheduled for Basel to AMS on November 2-9. We arrive from the USA in Paris CDG on October 30 for 3 night pre cruise stay. So is there a chance we would be able to complete our cruise in AMS and stay a few days post cruise in AMS? We would have 10 full days in Europe prior to arriving in AMS. 

4 minutes ago, dillardr said:

After two canceled Viking River cruises, we are scheduled for Basel to AMS on November 2-9. We arrive from the USA in Paris CDG on October 30 for 3 night pre cruise stay. So is there a chance we would be able to complete our cruise in AMS and stay a few days post cruise in AMS? We would have 10 full days in Europe prior to arriving in AMS. 

Based on the current situation, it seems so.  We are staying 3 nights pre=cruise in Switzerland and embarking from BSL Oct 10.  Right now that is only a "high risk", not "very high risk" Country, so as I read it, since we can document our time, it would satisfy the 10 days.  BUT, who checks that?  Is their a port Authority check-in location in AMS?  I just don't know how all that will be managed, let alone...that the situation is still "fluid".    SMH. 

38 minutes ago, cruisinwithsusan said:

BUT, who checks that?  Is their a port Authority check-in location in AMS?  I just don't know how all that will be managed, let alone...that the situation is still "fluid".    

I've walked off the ship, claimed my bag on the dock, and got in the shuttle van.  I'm sure the ship had to provide Dutch authorities with a manifest, but there was no one checking our paperwork.  There's no terminal as there is for ocean cruises.

1 hour ago, dillardr said:

Having to navigate this issue for our cruise departing Sept. 18th (see post #98), you will have been out of the USA for more than 10 days so you won't need to quarantine for 10 days.  If you're on the river cruise for the whole time period preceding arriving in AMS, you will be able to stay in AMS with no 10-day quarantine.  You'll want to monitor the Netherlands government website for updates. https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry.  As long as the Netherlands and other individual countries designate the USA as very high risk, we have to jump through a lot of hoops to get to Europe.  The EU took us off the safe list on Aug. 30th, and the Netherlands ranked us from safe to very high risk in just 3 days.  IMO, the Netherlands rolled out these changes without thinking it through to properly evaluate and implement the changes.

Follow this link on the TripAdvisor forum Amsterdam for more travel advice. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k13667024-How_was_arrival_into_Amsterdam-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html  It sounds like it's a s**t show at the airport, which reflects the government's lack of preparedness for the new rules.

1 hour ago, cruisinwithsusan said:

Is their a port Authority check-in location in AMS?  I just don't know how all that will be managed, let alone...that the situation is still "fluid".    SMH. 

My information from Avalon is that there are no government officials at the docks to check your previous whereabouts prior to embarkation.  Can you imagine how many port agents would have to be staged at all the river docks and the time it would take to interview each passenger boarding?

I’m currently in Switzerland, & there is no regard for restrictions other hand a mask indoors & some plexiglass partitions that have been in place for over a year. 

Regarding Amsterdam, once you step off the boat, I don’t think there’s any way to track us, other than before boarding a plane. I bought my rail tickets already without any questions or restrictions. 

Even if the big hotels start checking, there are thousands of VRBO/boutique rooms that would never check. 

19 hours ago, mapsd said:

I’m currently in Switzerland, & there is no regard for restrictions other hand a mask indoors & some plexiglass partitions that have been in place for over a year. 

Regarding Amsterdam, once you step off the boat, I don’t think there’s any way to track us, other than before boarding a plane. I bought my rail tickets already without any questions or restrictions. 

Even if the big hotels start checking, there are thousands of VRBO/boutique rooms that would never check. 

May be an image of text

The Swiss government put out a confusing document effectiveyesterday regarding new COVID restrictions for travelers from outside the EU Shengen countries.    I've highlighted the most relevant text below.  I hope that further information on where the Swiss certificates may be obtained will be forthcoming soon.  There's a link to the entire document below.

COVID certificate for people vaccinated abroad

The Federal Council also addressed the issue of COVID certificates for people vaccinated abroad. Currently, only certificates issued by countries participating in the EU Digital COVID Certificate are technically compatible with the Swiss system. Under this proposal, anyone who has been vaccinated abroad with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and who resides in or travels to Switzerland would be able to obtain a Swiss COVID certificate. As in neighbouring countries, certificates are not to be made available for all WHO vaccines. Each canton must define a contact point for people who have been vaccinated abroad. All cantonal contact points are to be listed on a federal website. The Federal Council's proposal will now go out to consultation until 14 September.

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-85035.html

1 hour ago, KathyK13 said:

The Swiss government put out a confusing document effectiveyesterday regarding new COVID restrictions for travelers from outside the EU Shengen countries.    I've highlighted the most relevant text below.  I hope that further information on where the Swiss certificates may be obtained will be forthcoming soon.  There's a link to the entire document below.

COVID certificate for people vaccinated abroad

The Federal Council also addressed the issue of COVID certificates for people vaccinated abroad. Currently, only certificates issued by countries participating in the EU Digital COVID Certificate are technically compatible with the Swiss system. Under this proposal, anyone who has been vaccinated abroad with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and who resides in or travels to Switzerland would be able to obtain a Swiss COVID certificate. As in neighbouring countries, certificates are not to be made available for all WHO vaccines. Each canton must define a contact point for people who have been vaccinated abroad. All cantonal contact points are to be listed on a federal website. The Federal Council's proposal will now go out to consultation until 14 September.

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-85035.html

Looking at the entire section of the website, the Swiss government is in the process of thinking about somehow issuing the vaccine certificate to those visiting Switzerland from abroad or those who has received the vaccine abroad and mulling over (calling it "began a consultation")  how it can be done.  From what I can gather, Switzerland currently cannot issue a vaccine certificate to those who weren't vaccinated there.  Basically, they don't know how they are going to do this yet, and they won't make a decision until after September 14 (.The Federal Council's proposal will now go out to consultation until 14 September.")

What is not made clear here is how

"From Monday, 13 September, a COVID certificate will be required to access indoor areas of restaurants, cultural and leisure facilities, and events held indoors. The certificate may also be used by employers as part of a company’s protection plan."

will be enforced to those visiting from non-EU countries starting yesterday until they figure out a way to issue a Swiss vaccine certificate to those vaccinated elsewhere.  It appears that the need for additional restriction is outpacing the abilities of many governments (in this case, Switzerland) to have a way to enforce it properly.

Edited by Psoque

11 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Looking at the entire section of the website, the Swiss government is in the process of thinking about somehow issuing the vaccine certificate to those visiting Switzerland from abroad or those who has received the vaccine abroad and mulling over (calling it "began a consultation")  how it can be done.  From what I can gather, Switzerland currently cannot issue a vaccine certificate to those who weren't vaccinated there.  Basically, they don't know how they are going to do this yet, and they won't make a decision until after September 14 (.The Federal Council's proposal will now go out to consultation until 14 September.")

What is not made clear here is how

"From Monday, 13 September, a COVID certificate will be required to access indoor areas of restaurants, cultural and leisure facilities, and events held indoors. The certificate may also be used by employers as part of a company’s protection plan."

will be enforced to those visiting from non-EU countries starting yesterday until they figure out a way to issue a Swiss vaccine certificate to those vaccinated elsewhere.  It appears that the need for additional restriction is outpacing the abilities of many governments (in this case, Switzerland) to have a way to enforce it properly.

I agree.  I wonder if this information was made available to cruise companies and what, if anything, they can do to facilitate their customers receiving it.  I also wonder what will happen to people who are in Switzerland now and completely unaware of this.

I'm a bit confused by Switzerland requirements.  We are boarding Avalon in Amsterdam this Saturday - pretty sure we have met all requirements of the Netherlands including recent quarantine (12 hour exemption) and feel that once we board the boat we should have 'smooth sailing'.  We end our cruise in Basel and will immediately board the shuttle to Zurich.  Spend one night and fly very early the next day through London to USA.  Do we need to find a place to have an additional Covid test done after the one that Avalon does on the last day our our cruise?  I doubt we will do anything in Switzerland but sleep and maybe grab a bite to eat. If someone could simplify this for me I would really appreciate it.  Such an emotional roller coaster trying to make this dream cruise a reality.  

3 hours ago, w8ing2cruz said:

I'm a bit confused by Switzerland requirements.  We are boarding Avalon in Amsterdam this Saturday - pretty sure we have met all requirements of the Netherlands including recent quarantine (12 hour exemption) and feel that once we board the boat we should have 'smooth sailing'.  We end our cruise in Basel and will immediately board the shuttle to Zurich.  Spend one night and fly very early the next day through London to USA.  Do we need to find a place to have an additional Covid test done after the one that Avalon does on the last day our our cruise?  I doubt we will do anything in Switzerland but sleep and maybe grab a bite to eat. If someone could simplify this for me I would really appreciate it.  Such an emotional roller coaster trying to make this dream cruise a reality.  

As long as your covid test is within 3 days of arrival to the US, you'll be fine. Note that it is 3 days, not 72 hours. 

13 hours ago, w8ing2cruz said:

I am just guessing, since I am not been to Switzerland to experience this new set of rules and how they are enforced there yet, but I would think that you might be asked to show proof of vaccination at various indoor venues in Switzerland.  From what I can tell (unless things change again) I don't see any additional testing requirement when entering Switzerland from another EU country.

I agree that this patchwork of regulations that we have to comply while taking a multi-country river cruise would be very challenging.  We are scheduled to take our Base-to-Amsterdam river cruise in November.  I'm hoping that, by then, all the relevant EU countries would ironed out the differences in how they enforce their rules so that things will be more predictable.  But that's just our wishful thinking at best.

On the bright side, now that Viking air dept has cancelled our flights to arrive early into Amsterdam, & replaced with same day arrival, so from AMS airport directly to ship, then from ship directly to BUD airport, then there's no need to bring (or forget to bring) EU electrical adaptors...

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

UPDATE:  new article on Cruise Critic says Netherlands is dropping quarantine requirement for vaxxed tourists.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6473/

Good to hear that the Dutch government has decided to rethink its strategy instead of trying to enforce a quarantine mandate which is very difficult and expensive to maintain.  I am not against well thought-out public health measures, but this was, in my humble opinion, was not one of them.

• Like 1

Now if they would rethink the 48/24 hr Covid. testing mandate options and reestablish the 72 hr requirement for PCR testing. Imagine the joy of being able to plan with excited anticipation instead of a nagging fear that lab results will be reported late and boarding denied.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

UPDATE:  new article on Cruise Critic says Netherlands is dropping quarantine requirement for vaxxed tourists.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6473/

That's great news.  Thanks for posting.  

8 hours ago, celvalliere said:

Now if they would rethink the 48/24 hr Covid. testing mandate options and reestablish the 72 hr requirement for PCR testing. Imagine the joy of being able to plan with excited anticipation instead of a nagging fear that lab results will be reported late and boarding denied.

I thought if you're fully vaccinated you don't need the PCR test.  At least that's the info I received from Tauck.  What is 48/24 hr. Covid?

57 minutes ago, Roz said:

That's great news.  Thanks for posting.  

I thought if you're fully vaccinated you don't need the PCR test.  At least that's the info I received from Tauck.  What is 48/24 hr. Covid?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2021/09/15/netherlands-quarantine-requirement-us-travelers/8356811002/

• Like 1

@CILCIANRQTS, thanks for posting the article. 

So I get a PCR test before I get on the plane in order to enter the Netherlands and then another one before I board the ship, correct?  I had already started looking for test places that cater to visitors and have a quick turnaround time.  My TA's agency is exploring options and I think maybe the cruise line is doing the same.  What a PITA!

• Like 1