More Observations From The Poop Deck

morpheusofthesea

Little details can also make for a more enjoyable time. DW has a hard time opening some of these heavy doors. We had the steward place a doorstop to keep it open all the time. 

Here is a recent post by OP thought interesting : "Recently I saw a Tik Tok by Captain Kate. She was giving out envelopes to her staff that a passenger asked her to do for them. One staff member opened the envelope to find $5. He went crazy with joy, you would have thought it was a $100. She received so many comments on why the young man was overly excited and happy for such a small amount. A few days later she did another Tik Tok with him asking him why his reaction was so grand. He said that he would have reacted the same way if it was only $1 dollar. He said with those $5 dollars he can buy rice, bread and a lot more stuff for his family back home. That video opened my eyes on tipping anyone who serves me and our family. Please tip extra by cash. The included tips are the bare minimum that are divided between many."

IMG_1184.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That is a SUPER idea !!! I just do not know if it has the same affect as cash$$. One would hope that the OBC is just not thrown into a general fund and distributed as DSC. Even should one have it placed in envelops with the service providers name in 'bold' letters, I can envision they are called into the pursers office, opened and handed back to the purser and placed into the general fund. Envelops defeat the purpose if turned over directly to management. Years ago (40) I would always write my name on the envelop so the recipient could differentiate who the cheapskates were at the table. Today I just bring enough big bills $100's and $50's to pass out, what they do with them afterwards is their business.

It was confirmed by one of the hotel directors that if you specify your butler and cabin attendant by name, the money will be given to them.  It's my understanding that the waiters in Luminae pool their tips, which makes sense because they all work together to provide a wonderful experience.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Daneenm said:

May I ask which Edge Villa you are in?  We are booked for 15101 (Nov ‘22) and have never sailed Celebrity before.  Fun to read along with all of you travelers in preparation.  Thank you for sharing your travels with us!

Your cabin should be a carbon copy of ours only on the port side. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

It was confirmed by one of the hotel directors that if you specify your butler and cabin attendant by name, the money will be given to them. 

As much as I would like to believe what management espouses. https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/   I will stick with my more direct method and hope.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

It's my understanding that the waiters in Luminae pool their tips, which makes sense because they all work together to provide a wonderful experience.

I think you are right. Everyone working in the Luminae is so friendly and genial I get the feeling they are a close knit 'family'  and wouldn't be surprised.

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

As much as I would like to believe what management espouses. https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/   I will stick with my more direct method and hope.

On each cruise we always bring envelopes and write on them the names of the individuals we are giving tips to. On the morning of departure we shake their hands and discreetly pass the envelopes to them. I must admit that on the Edge in July each one of them actually seemed surprised and overjoyed to receive an envelope.

• Like 1

9-7-2021

Another interesting point is that the present staff on board have contracts to the end of the year and do not know on what ship they will be reassigned to. It appears that many of the staff that are signing up to return to cruising are requesting the Edge, so there may be a complete change over of staff come December and January.

On 9/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Daneenm said:

We are booked for 15101

This is your private entrance to the Retreat sun deck, pool, and bar. It is at the top of the stairs bedroom level. Two doors actually. This white door one can lock from the inside, the inner door opens with your key card, just like every cabin door and also can be locked from the inside. I suppose one would only double lock these doors at night when one goes to bed.

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

• Like 1

We are in Roatan today. Took this shot of our neighbor from the Magic Carpet. Not many passengers seen walking around that ship as well. Butler came to advise us that Luminae will be closed for lunch and asked if we would like him to bring us lunch to the cabin. We rather enjoyed going to the Oceanview for the added desserts, yesterday was Greek Day, at least 12 different Greek desserts. There was a carving station and had to try a slice of leg of lamb, after just leaving the Luminae and their lunch. There was fish and chips the other day as well. Love that one is directed to the washing hand station at entrance and the plates are and wrapped silverware are handed to one than old way of self service. Wish the Equinox did the same in their Oceanview buffet. The maitre d' came over to our table and asked if there was anything we wanted not on the menu, just ask him. Thankfully I can always find at least 2 of the four entrees. I thought the Robert Boulard Moraccan chicken was better than the 'house' Moroccan chicken. Obviously the Moraccans have more than just one recipe.

IMG_1190.jpg

The high walls on this Edge Villa balcony does provide a fair amount of shading from the sun, as witnessed in this photo.Another observation ... After last nights  singing performance by Charity Lockhart, DW  turned to me and said "this show is better than I remember in July" and I had to agree. I particularly enjoyed her Aretha Franklin rendition of Pavarotti's  standard showstopper Neesun Dorma. How can that be? Is it like the wine? One just has to be in the 'moment' to really enjoy the 'times of our lives'....

IMG_1193.jpg

• Like 2

Now here is something only interesting to my DW, a germophobe. The white door is the entrance to 4 of the Edge Villas on the starboard side. No lock, any one can gain entrance. Yet on the same floor at the end of the 4 cabins is another door unlocked leading into the Retreat Lounge, but around the corner is the Official Grand Entrance to the Retreat Lounge with a key card device that automatically opens the sliding doors to both sides.  The white door should also be key carded and open automatically. Also, for those Retreat  guests not staying in a villa with their own private entrance onto the Retreat sun deck, there is an entrance and exit with again 2 doors, inner and outer which one has to physically press the buttons, not just get real close to like found entering the Solarium on both its sides.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

• Like 1

I’m really enjoying your posts, thx so much for taking the time to do so.  I especially liked your sentiments and quotes on wine and whiskey.  On a similar note, this is a favorite of mine.  “I question the objectivity of my palate while on vacation. Everything tastes like magic when you’re drunk and don’t have to work for 10 days.” (Brendan Vaughan, “ Illegal Cheese”.) Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

While away on a cruise I like to have an internet connection to keep up to date with cruise related 'goings on'. DW enjoys being able to continue to shop on line. A British blogger just posted 'Beginning and End', in which he sites a couple researchers that predict the end of this pandemic as early as the end of September 2021 (this month). That research is showing that the Delta variant though very contagious is "leaving 'immunity' in its wake." Only those unvaccinated need be concerned. Should this turn out to be the case, cruise bookings will sky rocket. Those cruises out of US ports may still be CDC constrained by "recommended" restrictions on staff on cruise ships. Presently staff and crew are 'spread out' on deck 6 so as not grouped together like before and limited in their numbers on board by CDC. Should the restrictions be lifted by the end of October or sooner, these 'halcyon days' of cruising with reduced passengers will be gone.

Here is another point to consider when booking any cabin.  One does not even consider this any more traveling on mega ships with stabilizers. Up until tonight the trip has been smooth as glass. But tonight it is something like the speed we are traveling or the cross winds or just the fact our cabin bedroom is on deck 16 (there is no deck 17), that we are rocking and rolling ...somewhat..

9-8-2021

At first glance we spied this small boat skipping fast along the waves in pursuit of the Symphony. An open orifice in the side of the ship suggested an exchange of some sort. Perhaps a passenger missed the ship? Or simply the harbor pilot making his return from the Symphony back to shore ?

We would like to thank OP for the tip about one not having to actually touch any buttons associated with the elevators, inside or outside. Found I had to just get the back of my hand close enough to the button for it to 'light up'.

Another observation about not having any overhang on the balcony is that one is subjected to any passing sprinkle. It is just too much trouble to get up off a toweled comfortable lounger. Besides the great advantage to this suite balcony is there is no one above. No little cherub pouring a glass of water on one's head from their balcony above. These are just some of the 'little' details to look out for when booking a balcony cabin. I once read about a young Prince who was comfortably seated in front of a raging fire in his castle fireplace. He was so comfortable and accustomed to his servants taking care of his every need that when the fire went out of control he did not bother to move out of his chair depending on his servants to handle the situation. He subsequently burnt to death because his servants were called away at that moment. Sprinkles? I won't melt.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Took advantage of another special not yet advertised on the ship. We have been using the internet to keep an eye on a Retreat cabin on a presently sailing Celebrity ship that is sold out for this Christmas/New years and sure enough it opened up for about 2 hours before it sold out again. We called the Concierge lounge and asked if they could call the Future Cruise Desk and make an immediate appointment to send up a FCD representative to meet with us in the Retreat Lounge. I walked over to the Retreat Lounge (its down the hall from our cabin). The concierge told me the rep will be here in 10 minutes, to have a seat. I sat down and 3 hostesses came by to offer me all sorts of drinks. The FCD rep arrived in 2 minutes. There were 4 cabins available 10 minutes earlier in the category but I did not want to press the book button on line. I wanted the extra $400 OBC that came with the standard $800 OBC for booking on board. My researched 'perfect ' cabin popped up available and booked it on the spot. (And I thought I was only 'lucky' at love). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had to eat elsewhere for lunch today, Luminae is closed while in port. Seating this cruise in the Luminae has been totally tranquil, one can actually hear the background music while dining. Social distancing has cut down on the chit-chat between tables. This was not the case in July. This crowd is more refined and they dress elegantly at night. One distressing observation, upon entering the Oceanview Cafe and using the handwashing stations, we noticed many passengers are so at ease in their minds and must be  so confident of this 'bubble'-like ship atmosphere, that they are passing by and not using the handwashing stations. There is just so much a cruise line can mandate or a CDC can recommend, without compliance I fear we are doomed.

DW just attained 22,000 steps from today's 'walkabout', I congratulated her achievement suggesting she could now apply for an assistant waiter's position on board..

Maitre d' came by our table last night, as all good maitre d's do or should do.  Asked how we are enjoying our time in the Luminae. ( Seeing that we eat all our meals there.) He was very kind and offered to get us anything we wanted, it did not have to be on the menu. I have absolutely no imagination when it comes to  desiring 'special' entrees and no 'will-power' when it comes to resisting the desserts. (At the buffet I am tempted to try everything) But DW is right by my side dictating to the servers what goes on my plate. (I saw the look the server gave me as he spooned those lovely, crunchy carrots on my plate). She cares....

• Haha 4

I thought you tried several specialty restaurants for dinner. Since they are included in your suite you should try them. We are looking forward to Eden among others.  New experience for us, 1st time on Edge.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:
2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I thought you tried several specialty restaurants for dinner. Since they are included in your suite

I am sorry. We are not foodies and as such are not going to take advantage of this perk of complimentary specialty dining. DW will only eat a limited diet and we find the Luminae to be to our liking. Our waiter even offered to bring a specialty meal from "down stairs" for (me) into the Luminae, which was very nice and he must have gotten permission to make such an offer from 'management'. I told them it was not necessary that we were satisfied with the Luminae chefs. Besides, the 'scene' that it might cause is not in keeping with my low profile. Just the offer alone is enough to make me feel 'special' outside my own home.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

I know we have used OBC to give tips to Butlers and  Cabin Attendants and in every case they have made a point to thank us.  In 1 case we were on a B2B and changed cabins so we tipped the cabin attendant for the 1st  cruise with OBC .  We didn’t see him on the last day but 2 days later he showed up at our new cabin to thank us for “being so generous,  the extra money you gave showed up in the pay that day”.   

• Like 1