More Observations From The Poop Deck

morpheusofthesea

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

I know we have used OBC to give tips to Butlers and  Cabin Attendants and in every case they have made a point to thank us.  In 1 case we were on a B2B and changed cabins so we tipped the cabin attendant for the 1st  cruise with OBC .  We didn’t see him on the last day but 2 days later he showed up at our new cabin to thank us for “being so generous,  the extra money you gave showed up in the pay that day”.   

I've had the same experience.

• Thanks 1

Did not realize that there was a light show going on while we slept. We usually fall asleep during the theatre shows, walk over to Eden to listen to these entertainers, nod off a bit and return to cabin to report to you all whatever we did not miss. Hoping others will fill in the gaps while we were napping.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

• Like 1

This is another observation. Every night all the pillows one finds around the outer decks and cabanas are disinfected and placed back out while we are sleeping. Caught them in the act this morning and asked the pillow guy about all the blue ones pictured in the solarium as well. Pillow cart being unloaded into cabanas. First he tosses a pile into a cabana and comes back to 'arrange' them.

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Today is a sea day. Took an after lunch walk around the ship and passed by the cabanas. Not one cabana was occupied. I suppose this is due to everyone on board being able to find available seating everywhere else. Told that 950 passengers this week. Asked by staff if we were staying on board for another week (we are not, I need 3 weeks to acclimatize from just one week on board), he said the cruise line expects 800 passengers next week. Cruisers are missing out on some of the safest, best times in cruising.

• Like 1

Our Personal Retreat Host (butler) brought us this book "Exposed".  I just noticed another copy of it on our desk under the stair case. It is the story of the Edge and what is so unique about this vessel. I guess that they decided to give us a copy rather than have us pack their copy along with the 1/2 dozen Retreat logo towels as well.

While doing our walk we encountered 3 waiters like this gentleman wheeling a cart filled with complimentary chocolate covered cheesecake ice cream on a stick. I never noticed this before, but the pool is 3 steps up from the walkway and to get the ice cream cart up to the same level there is a wheelchair lift at one end.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

• Like 1

While placing our lunch order today in the Luminae (today is lobster roll lunch day and lobster night), we were asked by the sommelier how we were enjoying the Edge Villa, which of course, is a grand experience in luxury. DW had to mention that we hoped to be back in 3 weeks in their RS . Well, that opened us up to when are we going to book the Iconic Suite. Our waiter joined in the conversation pointing out the swaying in the wind bushes at the very back of the Luminae outside jutting out. They said the Iconic Suite is behind the entire back wall of the Luminae. The swaying bushes are the jacuzzi. That should we decide they are willing to move in and the one will serve wine all day and night the other will handle the food service and even play the piano for us . Right, "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams" ........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9-10-2021

Went to show last night. Twice, 7 and 9 pm shows. "Uptown". Not the same 3 entertainers as posted on the marquee, but just a very minor technicality. Capt. Kate showed up at the 9 pm show with an entourage. Scuttlebutt is she was accompanied tonight by members of the Celebrity Executive Committee. (Row five, red chair section in photo.) I think they got on in Cozumel ?

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

Years ago we had a Florida Governor/ Senator Bob Graham who would travel the state and take on jobs for one day of different workers to get to know their plights by 'walking in their moccasins'. Capt. Kate is becoming famous for doing the same thing on her ships. I heard she once was strapped up over the side of her vessel cleaning or painting. On the Equinox we witnessed her doing the 'Charleston' on top of the atrium stairs on Chic night. Last night, at the Champagne Bar, she climbed up on top of it (in heels?) and did the multi-pour stunt for the passengers. What a gal !

IMG_1219.jpg

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Years ago we had a Florida Governor/ Senator Bob Graham who would travel the state and take on jobs for one day of different workers to get to know their plights by 'walking in their moccasins'. Capt. Kate is becoming famous for doing the same thing on her ships. I heard she once was strapped up over the side of her vessel cleaning or painting. On the Equinox we witnessed her doing the 'Charleston' on top of the atrium stairs on Chic night. Last night, at the Champagne Bar, she climbed up on top of it (in heels?) and did the multi-pour stunt for the passengers. What a gal !

IMG_1219.jpg

she really is such a cool lady!

• Like 2

Our table in the Luminae on lobster night (or any night for that matter). a 4 top set up for 2. Really not crowded at all.... Second sailing July 3, 2021 was 'mad house', lost our  table , 2 hour wait for dinner. long line to get into Luminae. 1500 passengers that cruise and a packed Retreat (but the Retreat is always packed or seemingly sold out whenever I try to book a cruise).

IMG_1218.jpg

31 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Our table in the Luminae on lobster night (or any night for that matter). a 4 top set up for 2. Really not crowded at all.... Second sailing July 3, 2021 was 'mad house', lost our  table , 2 hour wait for dinner. long line to get into Luminae. 1500 passengers that cruise and a packed Retreat (but the Retreat is always packed or seemingly sold out whenever I try to book a cruise).

IMG_1218.jpg

please stop immediately, you are making me envious!!!   🙂

Now here is a 'thrill'. One can only receive this on the Edge (I should imagine on the Apex as well). Up early this morning before docking we were caught off guard. The Magic Carpet was opened for  viewing only, no bar service. Capt. Kate was doing a 180 degree turn to back the Edge into its berth using the bow thrusters, to maneuver. The bow thrusters jolt the Magic Carpet so violently that we were bounced like on a trampoline. One's first reaction is to jump off the Magic Carpet for fear of being the first passengers to plummet to our deaths. When we got back to our cabin and mentioned our experience to our steward. He smiled and said it happens every time the ship docks using the thrusters and only on the Magic Carpet.

52 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting stowaway!

Yes. And by the way, you have been right all along. I did some early morning tipping so as not to be rushed after tonights final dinner of the cruise. I pulled aside a Luminae staffer and tipped my second of two $50's and discreetly asked if they could keep the tip all for themselves or did they 'pool' their tips. The response was "We share". I do not think the employee of the month would tell a falsehood. Again, your "close-knit family" impression has been 'spot on the mark'. At least in the Luminae.

Well, this cruise has been a really great cruise. I was able to keep my social distance by 'hiding out' in my cabin (out on the balcony) for most of the day. I learned today that 'fish and chips' is offered this cruise on sea days in the Oceanview Cafe (I missed them both). I must find out if the Oceanview buffet has a menu because the offerings are different everyday, except for the usual fair. We are looking forward to returning to the Edge in 3 weeks to take advantage of these low capacity sailings, and a  super clean ship bubble. The question is, would I decide to book the villa again?

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes. And by the way, you have been right all along. I did some early morning tipping so as not to be rushed after tonights final dinner of the cruise. I pulled aside a Luminae staffer and tipped my second of two $50's and discreetly asked if they could keep the tip all for themselves or did they 'pool' their tips. The response was "We share". I do not think the employee of the month would tell a falsehood. Again, your "close-knit family" impression has been 'spot on the mark'. At least in the Luminae.

I have been told this by the maitre d' and the waiters in Luminae many times over the years.  If you watch the group at work in there, you will see it makes sense.

Another way to recognize individuals in there (or elsewhere on the ship) is to mention them by name on your comment card or (my preferred method) by letter to the hotel director.  Only takes a few minutes to dash off a note to the HD.  Stationery & envelopes are available at Guest Relations.  One year I mentioned to the bread guy in Luminae that I was disappointed that I wasn't seeing any brown bread in the bread basket.  He made a special trip to the MDR every night after that to get us a separate basket of brown bread (which is delicious, if you haven't tried it yet).  That kind of service was above and beyond and earned him a mention to the hotel director.  These special mentions help them get promoted, more time off, etc.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have been told this by the maitre d' and the waiters in Luminae many times over the years.  If you watch the group at work in there, you will see it makes sense.

Another way to recognize individuals in there (or elsewhere on the ship) is to mention them by name on your comment card or (my preferred method) by letter to the hotel director.  Only takes a few minutes to dash off a note to the HD.  Stationery & envelopes are available at Guest Relations.  One year I mentioned to the bread guy in Luminae that I was disappointed that I wasn't seeing any brown bread in the bread basket.  He made a special trip to the MDR every night after that to get us a separate basket of brown bread (which is delicious, if you haven't tried it yet).  That kind of service was above and beyond and earned him a mention to the hotel director.  These special mentions help them get promoted, more time off, etc.

Hi Linda, 

Do you know if the wait staff in Blu also share their tips?  I do get the stationery and envelopes to write a personal note along with cash to the waiters and sommelier who have served us most of the time.  Sometimes at breakfast we get someone else so it's difficult to include everyone.  If they share, that works out well. I always fill out the comment cards because those who I've mentioned tell me that it means a lot to them.

3 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

Hi Linda, 

Do you know if the wait staff in Blu also share their tips?  I do get the stationery and envelopes to write a personal note along with cash to the waiters and sommelier who have served us most of the time.  Sometimes at breakfast we get someone else so it's difficult to include everyone.  If they share, that works out well. I always fill out the comment cards because those who I've mentioned tell me that it means a lot to them.

Once we heard that they also share. In BLU.we just gave one envelope to Blu maitre d but extra cash to Sommelier. 

Used to write little notes but if  we can,t single out anyone special monetarily..we now  send in  positive comment cards. They get  reognition among staff,   extra time off, phone cards etc as a reward and is much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

What is “brown bread”?    Is it wheat, whole wheat, multigrain, or pumpernickel?   I love some of those breads but not others.   Really love marble rye but have not seen it on Celebrity.

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Since suites are fully booked how can Luminae not be crowded? Do half the suite passengers eat in Blu or specialty restaurants every night?

Edited by TommyD3

4 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

Hi Linda, 

The one time I sailed in AQ I was told by the maitre d' that they did pool their tips.  Same thing in that dining room--there are lots of people serving you.

• Thanks 1