Wine packages

Mocamps

We have just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise (on Anthem of the Seas) for some years, after shifting to smaller ships.

It leaves in less than 2 weeks so I'm trying frantically to remind myself of stuff I need to be aware of beforehand. I would welcome some tips from some of you Royal Caribbean veterans!

Most of our more recent cruises have included drinks but we don't want to feel we need to drink enough to make a package worthwhile so on that subject,

Can we still bring 2 bottles of wine onboard?

Do they still sell Wine packages? We used to find these useful as we can usually get through one bottle of wine with dinner each evening.

How expensive are speciality coffees? We don't drink really fancy ones (just Americano or sometimes a Cappucino) vut don't usually like the standard filter coffee at breakfast.

I know we need Covid tests and I'm hoping they'll send me details of that in the next couple of days but I also read that it's possible to book tests privately and then claim the money back. Is that perhaps the safest option? And how does that work? Can I book ANY private test and then keep the receipt or are there a limited number of suppliers?

Anything else I need to know at this stage?

Yes, you can still bring two bottles of wine per cabin. 

All my responses are for US, so may/may not be different there. I was just looking at wine/goodies packages yesterday in the cruise planner, so a limited selection of those are available. If you are sailing on Anthem or Oasis class, you can also buy a bottle of wine in Vintages.  Before Covid, you could have that stored if you don’t finish, and finish up later. Not sure if that is still available.

in the US, a coffee card is also available for purchase onboard or in the planner. I suggest getting one if available there (10 coffees…or per shot of espresso, if you like them extra strong - we get a tall for one punch). 

Can’t answer the testing question, different here. 🙂 Enjoy your cruise. 

1 hour ago, Mocamps said:

We have just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise (on Anthem of the Seas) for some years, after shifting to smaller ships.

It leaves in less than 2 weeks so I'm trying frantically to remind myself of stuff I need to be aware of beforehand. I would welcome some tips from some of you Royal Caribbean veterans!

Most of our more recent cruises have included drinks but we don't want to feel we need to drink enough to make a package worthwhile so on that subject,

Can we still bring 2 bottles of wine onboard?

Do they still sell Wine packages? We used to find these useful as we can usually get through one bottle of wine with dinner each evening.

How expensive are speciality coffees? We don't drink really fancy ones (just Americano or sometimes a Cappucino) vut don't usually like the standard filter coffee at breakfast.

I know we need Covid tests and I'm hoping they'll send me details of that in the next couple of days but I also read that it's possible to book tests privately and then claim the money back. Is that perhaps the safest option? And how does that work? Can I book ANY private test and then keep the receipt or are there a limited number of suppliers?

Anything else I need to know at this stage?

as of today ( and things change) you need a PCR or antigen test 2 days before you cruise. So cruise on sunday test on friday. there is a way to get around the 2 bottle per cabin by checking in 2 bottles and carrying on 2 bottles. I have done this on longer cruises

6 minutes ago, coachmike1959 said:

there is a way to get around the 2 bottle per cabin by checking in 2 bottles and carrying on 2 bottles.

Right, but the chances of your checked luggage getting stuck in the naughty room go up.

Edited by Biker19

Yes, I'm very law-abiding and not brave enough to try to circumvent the rules! Though we did once go on a wine tour in Sicily and they gave us a presentation bottle of wine at the end which we took back onboard without really thinking about it. And no-one batted an eyelid!!

Anyone know about wine packages? They used to have ones with 5 bottles per week I think. And there was a Classic package or a Premium one. We found those useful in the past.

22 minutes ago, Mocamps said:

Yes, I'm very law-abiding and not brave enough to try to circumvent the rules! Though we did once go on a wine tour in Sicily and they gave us a presentation bottle of wine at the end which we took back onboard without really thinking about it. And no-one batted an eyelid!!

Anyone know about wine packages? They used to have ones with 5 bottles per week I think. And there was a Classic package or a Premium one. We found those useful in the past.

They haven’t had the wine packages in years. 

@MocampsI think you are talking about a UK cruise, if so its still up to 3 days before your cruise for a test. RCL use Eurofins for testing but you can use any government approved supplier, we're thinking of using Boots which have testing at many stores. If you get your own RCL give you $140 refundable OBC to cover the cost.

We're on 2nd Oct cruise and I'm pretty sure there is a coffee card to purchase in my planner (can't get into the planner at the moment for some reason).