NCL Cruiser looking for the Low Down

zerooveride

So as the title suggests I am normally an NCL cruiser. After a couple of things that have with our last cruise, we are thinking about switching our December cruise on NCL to an RCCL one on Anthem of the Seas out of NY.

So some questions . . .

NCL does their (kinda)Free at Sea promotion that gives you the beverage package (up to $15), 250mins WiFi, $50 ShorEx credit, Free Specialty Dining.

1. How does beverage packages work on RCCL? Can you get them included with the fare? If not then how much and what limits? Is there something like NCL's Premium Plus?
  2. Internet . . . Is it included and if not what are the prices/tiers? Does WiFi calling work?
  3. Any ShorEx credit?
  4. Specialty Dining . . . tell me all about it!
  5. What are the Daily Surcharge Fees? 

Also, what things offered on the ship are an upcharge? How about at CoCo Cay?

And anything else you would think an NCL cruiser would need to know for their first RCCL cruise.

Thanks in Advance!

1. Nope they haven't included it for the US in years. It could be up to $72+ pppd. Lately I think the lowest is around 50? Price varies per ship and per sailing. It includes drinks up to $13. Drinks are a little cheaper on royal so it's comparable, though includes bottled water and coffee as long as it doesn't come from Starbucks and a few others. 

2. There's two tiers. Per device per day. Probably 10-20 a day. I don't bother, too expensive. 

3. Nope

4. Yes, but not included. They have an unlimited dining package, which is as it's called. Plus a few other packages. All vary in pricing by ship and sailing. 

5. You mean daily gratuity? It's $14.50 pppd unless you're in a junior suite or above

Upcharges on ship depends on your ship. 

Only basic food and basic loungers (and umbrella if you can find them) plus the lagoon are included on coco. Drinks are same as on ship - so if you have a package those drinks are included. There's a ton of up charge opportunities on the island though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

5. You mean daily gratuity? It's $14.50 pppd unless you're in a junior suite or above

Upcharges on ship depends on your ship. 

Only basic food and basic loungers (and umbrella if you can find them) plus the lagoon are included on coco. Drinks are same as on ship - so if you have a package those drinks are included. There's a ton of up charge opportunities on the island though. 

I should have said we're looking at a Junior Suite on Anthem of the Seas.

CoCo Cay: Is the waterpark upcharge? Wave Pool / Slides?

6 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

Waterpark is an up charge and the slides and wave pool are part of it. Again royal loves its dynamic pricing but I haven't seen the water park under 75pp in a while and it was 99 on my last cruise. If you have a larger group getting a cabana in the water park might make sense of as it includes admission. 

I think gratuity is a dollar or two more per day for JS and above. Very similar to ncl. 

Edited by smplybcause

8 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

A JS isnt considered a full suite and doesnt really get any suite perks. Maybe ck kitchen if there is space and if your ship has it. No other perks I can think of with a JS. When I had a JS it didnt include the suite lounge for drinks at happy hour.

There is a package for 3 pay dining around 99 and a unlimited for maybe 189. 

@Coralc Interesting that you get the points and access to suite lounge (or not? If not why do it?) but don't pay the extra cost this way! Figured it was part and parcel. 

I'd say good to know but my solo cruising self won't be in a js for a while. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

While Royal is my cruise line of choice, I've done a number of NCL cruises. It's been my observation that all those "free" perks on NCL are really built into the fare. Their shore excursions seemed markedly higher than private excursions (Whereas Royal's are somewhat higher). Most striking instance, the 2-day St. Petersburg excursion was about $450 each ... we booked private for about $250 each. 

On Coco cay, the waterpark is extra ... and it's pretty pricey. That said, you can have a wonderful day on Coco Cay without paying anything extra. I absolutely love the Oasis Pool. There are several beaches with plenty of lawn chairs and since I have my own snorkel equipment, I can snorkel right off the beach without paying for rentals.

Edited by emeraldcity
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

@Coralc Interesting that you get the points and access to suite lounge (or not? If not why do it?) but don't pay the extra cost this way! Figured it was part and parcel. 

I'd say good to know but my solo cruising self won't be in a js for a while. 

Unfortunately, you don't have access to the Suite Lounge in a Junior suite either. :classic_sad: But they are a nice size stateroom, double points, suite boarding and access to the Coastal Kitchen (for dinner only) on ships that have one. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Unfortunately, you don't have access to the Suite Lounge in a Junior suite either. :classic_sad: But they are a nice size stateroom, double points, suite boarding and access to the Coastal Kitchen (for dinner only) on ships that have one. :classic_biggrin:

Sounds like a lot of money for a little to me! But like I said I'm solo so even interiors are fine since I'm a sleep/shower type of cruiser.

It's kind of like whatever they're calling minisuites on ncl now. A bit more space one or two superficial things for a lot more $$ than regular. 

Though I'll admit I'm a quantity over quality. I've got 5 or 6 cruises from Sept to April. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Coralc said:

If OP is new to rcl he wouldnt even get the double pts.

Just now, firefly333 said:

If OP is new to rcl he wouldnt even get the double pts.

Actually they would. Just not the double points (double points) under the promotion. If they sign up for C&A either before sailing or onboard, they will receive the 2 points per night that are always awarded to Junior Suites. I wasn't thinking about the promotion. 

6 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Actually they would. Just not the double points (double points) under the promotion. If they sign up for C&A either before sailing or onboard, they will receive the 2 points per night that are always awarded to Junior Suites. I wasn't thinking about the promotion. 

It says the person must be a existing gold member to get double pts. He can sign up but would have to sail I read already to be  existing gold member.

Double Points applies to new, individual, and named existing bookings on all Eligible Sailings made through September 30, 2021. Double Points is available to existing Gold, Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club Crown & Anchor Society members. Double Points provides Crown & Anchor Society members double Cruise Points on sailings departing from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2022 (“Eligible Sailings”). Cruise Points will be applied once the booking is paid in full and sailing is completed. When reserving, a valid Crown & Anchor Society member number must be included in the reservation. 

Just now, zerooveride said:

What dining is included?

Chops, the sit down dinners. Italian .. there is a allowance for some things like sushi. I'd have to look up your ship. There are members here who can tell you which restaurants are on anthem. Sorry. I do well to almost figure out the ships I've booked. Oh oasis has wonderland but allure isnt amped and doesnt have it. Google will tell you which your ship has.

• Like 1

Yes. But once you are signed up for C&A, you will receive the regular points for your first sailing. THEY WOULD NOT RECEIVE 4 POINTS PER NIGHT UNDER THE PROMOTION. :classic_tongue: They will receive 2 points per night for their sailing which are always awarded to Junior Suites. :classic_biggrin: I thought I said that? :classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

6 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Yes. But once you are signed up for C&A, you will receive the regular points for your first sailing. THEY WOULD NOT RECEIVE 4 POINTS PER NIGHT UNDER THE PROMOTION. :classic_tongue: They will receive 2 points per night for their sailing which are always awarded to Junior Suites. :classic_biggrin: I thought I said that? :classic_unsure:

I read double pts as getting double pts promotion.

I sail solo so I get 2 regular and 3 for js .. double is the promotion. 

Ok if you meant 1 extra pt for JS we agree.

Yes you need 3 pts to be gold. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

So it used to be 1 point for the cruise, then 1 point for a suite, then 1 point for a sailing 10 nights or longer. A total of 3 points for a sailing. 

So pardon my grammar. As a solo cruiser, you always get more points now. For a couple, we get 1 point per night in a balcony and 2 points per night in a suite...so for us it is double the points that we would have in lower categories. :classic_tongue:

And why do I get sucked in to these point quibble things? :classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Sounds like a lot of money for a little to me! But like I said I'm solo so even interiors are fine since I'm a sleep/shower type of cruiser.

It's kind of like whatever they're calling minisuites on ncl now. A bit more space one or two superficial things for a lot more $$ than regular. 

Though I'll admit I'm a quantity over quality. I've got 5 or 6 cruises from Sept to April. 

Depending on the ship the JS is only $200/$300 more... I prefer the JS for the bathtub and walk-in closet. But I am not a solo cruiser, yet! I tend to take land vacations solo to visit family...
One day I might do a solo cruise!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zerooveride said:

So as the title suggests I am normally an NCL cruiser. After a couple of things that have with our last cruise, we are thinking about switching our December cruise on NCL to an RCCL one on Anthem of the Seas out of NY.

So some questions . . .

NCL does their (kinda)Free at Sea promotion that gives you the beverage package (up to $15), 250mins WiFi, $50 ShorEx credit, Free Specialty Dining.

1. How does beverage packages work on RCCL? Can you get them included with the fare? If not then how much and what limits? Is there something like NCL's Premium Plus?
  2. Internet . . . Is it included and if not what are the prices/tiers? Does WiFi calling work?
  3. Any ShorEx credit?
  4. Specialty Dining . . . tell me all about it!
  5. What are the Daily Surcharge Fees? 

Also, what things offered on the ship are an upcharge? How about at CoCo Cay?

And anything else you would think an NCL cruiser would need to know for their first RCCL cruise.

Thanks in Advance!

They offer 2 different internet packages, Surf and Surf and Stream. I have only done the Surf and Stream and the Wi-Fi Calling works great, for voice and text! 
Others have covered the other info 

5 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

They offer 2 different internet packages, Surf and Surf and Stream. I have only done the Surf and Stream and the Wi-Fi Calling works great, for voice and text! 
Others have covered the other info 

Avg. cost for Surf and Stream on a 7 day?

7 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

Avg. cost for Surf and Stream on a 7 day?

This was on Symphony a few weeks ago but it was for 8 nights... 

INTERNET & MORE

1 VOOM Surf + STREAM Voyage Package - 1 Device

Total Cost: 127.92 USD
So about $16 a day.

I just purchased 7 nights for 4 devices On Serenade 
INTERNET & MORE

1 VOOM Surf + STREAM Voyage Package - 4 Device

Total Cost: 251.86 USD
Which comes out to about 9 per device per day 

10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Depending on the ship the JS is only $200/$300 more... I prefer the JS for the bathtub and walk-in closet. But I am not a solo cruiser, yet! I tend to take land vacations solo to visit family...
One day I might do a solo cruise!! 

Ah. It might just be the times that I've been looking. Not really a book years in advance type of person. To be fair I also only usually get a balcony if it's a good deal. But on one upcoming cruise the JS is just shy of twice as much as a balcony. Definitely can't say I've seen it in the rage you were talking when I've looked. 

• Like 1