NCL Transfer woes

DCGuy64

We used the NCL BOGO airfare for our upcoming cruise (we sail this Sunday), and are supposed to arrive in Miami at roughly 8:30 am. During the online check-in process, I selected an arrival time at the port of between 10:30-11 am, thinking we'd have plenty of time to get there from the airport. What I didn't know until after I'd done that is that the first transfer from the airport to the port is at 10:30 (transfers are part of the BOGO airfare). Now it's too late to change the arrival time at the port (the last available time slot is the same as ours, 10:30-11.) I couldn't have known about the transfer time until after I'd selected the port arrival time. Now I'm not sure what to do, the transfers are already paid for and non-refundable. Frankly, I can't believe NCL would make people wait 2 hours from the time their flight arrives until the first transfer shuttle leaves, but I'm more irritated that because of COVID, you HAVE to arrive at the port at your scheduled time slot or will be delayed in boarding. I chatted online with an NCL rep and he said just to check back later this week to see if any later port check-in times become available. At this point I'm considering just getting my own cab and eating the cost of the transfer, in order to make sure we arrive for embarkation at our selected time. Our TA is going to see if we can get a later check-in time. Still, this is slightly irritating.

27 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We used the NCL BOGO airfare for our upcoming cruise (we sail this Sunday), and are supposed to arrive in Miami at roughly 8:30 am. During the online check-in process, I selected an arrival time at the port of between 10:30-11 am, thinking we'd have plenty of time to get there from the airport. What I didn't know until after I'd done that is that the first transfer from the airport to the port is at 10:30 (transfers are part of the BOGO airfare). Now it's too late to change the arrival time at the port (the last available time slot is the same as ours, 10:30-11.) I couldn't have known about the transfer time until after I'd selected the port arrival time. Now I'm not sure what to do, the transfers are already paid for and non-refundable. Frankly, I can't believe NCL would make people wait 2 hours from the time their flight arrives until the first transfer shuttle leaves, but I'm more irritated that because of COVID, you HAVE to arrive at the port at your scheduled time slot or will be delayed in boarding. I chatted online with an NCL rep and he said just to check back later this week to see if any later port check-in times become available. At this point I'm considering just getting my own cab and eating the cost of the transfer, in order to make sure we arrive for embarkation at our selected time. Our TA is going to see if we can get a later check-in time. Still, this is slightly irritating.

We are on an NCL cruise. It included a transfer that was later than expected, and so our check in time was actually later than what we booked (not our fault). It didn’t matter at all, we just joined the queue to embark and nobody even mentioned it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The check in times are mainly to stop everyone arriving at the earliest possible moment and swamping the check in staff, instead having a more metered quantity of passengers arriving at any given time. If you arrive later, nobody is going to say "you missed your time." When you get there, it will just be a big line with everyone in it on a first come first served basis no matter what the appointment time is. 

Granted, I'd be annoyed at having to wait a couple of hours to get on the shuttle after my plane arrived, but I'd wager that with your 8:30 arrival, by the time the plane is actually at the gate and you can disembark, and you have your bags, you won't be waiting very long for the shuttle. 

• Like 1

I would just take an Uber from the airport to the terminal. It should be less than $20 (before tip) from Miami International Airport to the cruise terminal. I don't like waiting on others and would much rather avoid the shuttle buses. Buses are slow and you then arrive with a pack of people at the same time all wanting to check in. 

thx for sharing. Stories like this are why I removed the transfers and their fees (I also have BOGO and they were not included for free and are actually optional but bundled with air by default).   Grabbing a cab/Uber will be cheaper/ faster in 95% of circumstances. In fact, on my Panama trip, I cancelled the $50 each/each way transfer for our return and instead used my $50 excursion to book an airport transfer which included a tour for $40 each).

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

The check in times are mainly to stop everyone arriving at the earliest possible moment and swamping the check in staff, instead having a more metered quantity of passengers arriving at any given time. If you arrive later, nobody is going to say "you missed your time." When you get there, it will just be a big line with everyone in it on a first come first served basis no matter what the appointment time is. 

Granted, I'd be annoyed at having to wait a couple of hours to get on the shuttle after my plane arrived, but I'd wager that with your 8:30 arrival, by the time the plane is actually at the gate and you can disembark, and you have your bags, you won't be waiting very long for the shuttle. 

Thanks, I think we'll just do it that way. As long as we're on the ship, that's really all that matters, whether it's at our appointed time or later. Thanks!

this post,may or not help you. most cruise websites, suggest you arrive a day or 2 before the cruise actually sails. if youre flying into a port city, this gives you a little time to relax and unwind, if youre flying from a u.s. port to a foreign destination, this also give you a little time to explore the host city.

that being said, even taking a red-eye to the departing port, i have never had a problem getting a cab to either the hotel or the port. i think they're usually cheaper than cost of the ncl shuttle.

if i'm at a hotel the front desk can usually arrange some type of transportation to the port.

only used the ncl shuttle service once, and i think it was $60 per person. we were in barcelona airport, 

had to wait for about an hour, and the shuttle had to stop and pick up passengers from each airline.

took a cab from the following airports with  no problems coming or going to either our hotel or the ship.

miami,tampa, new orleans, hamburg, venice, barcelona, seattle , etc.

also, i like making my own flight reservations, regardless of the bogo offers. i leave and return when i want, and stay at the embarkation, and disembarkations for as long as i want.

53 minutes ago, complawyer said:

this post,may or not help you. most cruise websites, suggest you arrive a day or 2 before the cruise actually sails. if youre flying into a port city, this gives you a little time to relax and unwind, if youre flying from a u.s. port to a foreign destination, this also give you a little time to explore the host city.

that being said, even taking a red-eye to the departing port, i have never had a problem getting a cab to either the hotel or the port. i think they're usually cheaper than cost of the ncl shuttle.

if i'm at a hotel the front desk can usually arrange some type of transportation to the port.

only used the ncl shuttle service once, and i think it was $60 per person. we were in barcelona airport, 

had to wait for about an hour, and the shuttle had to stop and pick up passengers from each airline.

took a cab from the following airports with  no problems coming or going to either our hotel or the ship.

miami,tampa, new orleans, hamburg, venice, barcelona, seattle , etc.

also, i like making my own flight reservations, regardless of the bogo offers. i leave and return when i want, and stay at the embarkation, and disembarkations for as long as i want.

Everything you said is true, but I'm sure you know not every traveler's lifestyle and background are the same. When we went to Italy last month for our MSC cruise, we DID fly an extra day early (we always lose a day, anyway, flying transatlantic), just in case there was a delay in our flight. Flying early also helped with the time change. But this NCL cruise is a different story. We're flying in the day of embarkation because that's how the BOGO deal worked out. Ideally, we would have flown in a day early, but that would have required asking NCL for a deviation, which you have to do something like 45 or 75 days from sail date. We didn't even know this cruise was going to happen at that point, given that NCL had cancelled on us twice already. And also, my wife and I still work full time, so we needed to finish work-related projects and leaving a day early would've jeopardized that. Finally, I sing professionally at a Catholic church and I have to be there this Saturday to sing, so we are flying Sunday morning. Oh yeah, and the BOGO airfare was only $199 roundtrip for the two of us. I have never seen a fare that low from DC to Miami, and certainly not one we'd have wanted. (sometimes Spirit has cheap fares but we DESPISE flying out of BWI and Spirit's reputation is abysmal) NCL has us on American Airlines out of Reagan National and our status with AA gives us nice perks like free checked bags. However, all that being said, flying in early is nice and we often do that.