Which airport to use?

linkerbink

We will be cruising out of Port Canaveral next summer, flying in a day early from Pennsylvania. I guess MCO is closer to the port but we are tempted by the crazy low rates on Allegiant to Sanford out of Allentown. What are some recommendations re: where to stay (area/hotel), transportation to/from port, etc? We have cruised from Miami before but never from Port Canaveral. Any and all suggestions/recommendations are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

46 minutes ago, linkerbink said:

We will be cruising out of Port Canaveral next summer, flying in a day early from Pennsylvania. I guess MCO is closer to the port but we are tempted by the crazy low rates on Allegiant to Sanford out of Allentown. What are some recommendations re: where to stay (area/hotel), transportation to/from port, etc? We have cruised from Miami before but never from Port Canaveral. Any and all suggestions/recommendations are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Sanford is a nice small airport, have flown in and out on numerous occasions. Not much of a hotel choice right by the airport, there’s a Marriot in Heathrow a few miles away.  PC is about 60 miles from Sanford. Transportation will cost you quite a bit. There’s bus service for $30.00pp and Sanford Shuttle Service for $60.00pp round trip. 

So would you recommend MCO? I know it’s still quite a distance from the port. Don’t know if there is a tradeoff between airfare vs. ground transportation. Good thing we have. a year to figure this out.

• Like 1

Only you would know the flight differences. There may be less shuttle/ride options from Sanford. MCO is closer (I think) with a straight toll way shoot out to the port. MCO area hotels are generally cheaper than PC. You can get a hotel and shuttle service to PC for the same price as a hotel alone in PC. You'd still have to pay a shuttle fee to get to that hotel. 

It all really comes down to what the whole purpose is. I know Alegiant only flies every 2-3 days from my airport. If there is an issue, then you are stuck 2-3 days until they can resolve it. In the end, if you are saving $100 going to Sanford, that put a PC hotel and Shuttle at the same price as MCO. Anything above that in savings is even more money saved.

Yes, the Allegiant flight schedule is weird. The more I look at this issue, it looks like going right into MCO is. the best option. To me, less hassle is worth a little extra cost! Thanks so much for your insights!

1 hour ago, linkerbink said:

So would you recommend MCO? I know it’s still quite a distance from the port. Don’t know if there is a tradeoff between airfare vs. ground transportation. Good thing we have. a year to figure this out.

I’d choose MCO, more hotel. choices near MCO and PC. Also more transportation choices at a cheaper rate. Go Port Canaveral is used by many cruisers. It’s a 45 mile ride to PC.

4 hours ago, thinfool said:

Too bad, MLB is the closest and the best, IMO.

Agree.

I have seen people on here say the drive time to the port is the same as Orlando, but they must be driving a golf cart. A straight shot north on US1 then A1A, a half hour tops. 

Also, Alligiant has a nonstop Pittsburg to Melbourne - tho I am not sure where Lehigh Valley is in PA.

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Agree.

I have seen people on here say the drive time to the port is the same as Orlando, but they must be driving a golf cart. A straight shot north on US1 then A1A, a half hour tops. 

Also, Alligiant has a nonstop Pittsburg to Melbourne - tho I am not sure where Lehigh Valley is in PA.

The Lehigh Valley is near Allentown, about 50 miles north of Philly and quite a drive from Pittsburgh.

20 hours ago, linkerbink said:

The Lehigh Valley is near Allentown, about 50 miles north of Philly and quite a drive from Pittsburgh.

"What was the word you've just said, Allentown? I'm offering you a chance to star in the biggest musical Broadway's seen in twenty years and you say: "Allentown?"

Sorry, I digress....  I would use Orlando over Sanford or Melbourne for lots of reasons. If you arrive early in the day I'd transport to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and stay the night there. After 7PM or so I'd stay near MCO.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

Agree that MCO certainly has more air and lodging choices.

The MLB option should be at least mentioned, as it does work very well for some. 

If a tertiary airport/airline is being looked at, is sure beats the Sanford option for getting to Port Canaveral. 

Looks like Delta, not a tertiary airline, has several flights from/to MLB/ATL.  Very promising for  those of us who wind up having to go through ATL anyway.