You wonder will domestic cruising will restart in 2022???

After seeing the news yesterday from P & O Australia & Princess cruises who have banned cruises to at least February & March, 2022 respectively if cruises will really start next year. Australian Government doesn't seem to be expediting the restart and with 3 months to get the ships ready I think 2022 will now be touch and go.

48 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Australian Government doesn't seem to be expediting the restart and with 3 months to get the ships ready I think 2022 will now be touch and go.

When is the next federal election. I am sure Scomo does not want the Ruby Princess and how the Covid19 was handled during the election campaign. My feeling after the election.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

When is the next federal election. I am sure Scomo does not want the Ruby Princess and how the Covid19 was handled during the election campaign. My feeling after the election.

Spot on. After the federal election at the earliest.👍

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Spot on. After the federal election at the earliest.👍

The problem is that when cruising starts up there will inevitably be cases of covid on board and there will be isolation of infected passengers. There will be masking rules and social distancing.

Which means there will be people to go on shows like A Current Affair with gripes and grievances about their cruises. You can be sure those shows will be filling in airtime with details about the Ruby Princess debacle.

Revisiting prior incompetence is not something that any government wants during the run up to an election.

The most likely month for the next Federal election is March, although it can be as late as May. The timing will depend on when focus groups start to show that voters have moved past the Fed's farcical vaccine rollout and inadequate quarantine system.

Given several months for the cruise companies to get their ships into order, a restart of local cruising could be anywhere from next June to next October.

Although if I were a sneaky politician, just before calling the election I would announce a restart of cruising to take place after the election. That way you get the benefits of making people happy without any of the downsides of delivering on it.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, portcbob said:

After seeing the news yesterday from P & O Australia & Princess cruises who have banned cruises to at least February & March, 2022 respectively if cruises will really start next year. Australian Government doesn't seem to be expediting the restart and with 3 months to get the ships ready I think 2022 will now be touch and go.

I'm fairly confident cruising will restart some time in 2022 but exactly when is the question. Unless there is a new variant that locks the world down again I expect the 22/23 season will take place. There is still a possibility of some winter cruising here - coastal cruises and possibly sone South Pacific ports -  and that would be a good way to ease back into cruising before the summer season starts.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm fairly confident cruising will restart some time in 2022 but exactly when is the question. Unless there is a new variant that locks the world down again I expect the 22/23 season will take place. There is still a possibility of some winter cruising here - coastal cruises and possibly sone South Pacific ports -  and that would be a good way to ease back into cruising before the summer season starts.

The vaccination rates are low in most South Pacific nations, except Fiji at 60%. Vanuatu is at only 9.7% of the total population, compared to Australia's 62%. Source World in Data. More likely are cruises to Northern QLD, with at anchor drop at Willis Island for the duty free status.😉

Willis Island | Coral sea islands, Island, Pacific jewel

We just booked a January 2023 Princess cruise to New Zealand (for the umpteenth time) . We'll finally get to see the new Brisbane terminal and experience the Coral Princess. Keeping fingers crossed that we can get back to sea after this drought.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the price hikes?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

2 hours ago, Kinkacruiser said:

We just booked a January 2023 Princess cruise to New Zealand (for the umpteenth time) . We'll finally get to see the new Brisbane terminal and experience the Coral Princess. Keeping fingers crossed that we can get back to sea after this drought.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the price hikes?

They are in desperate need of cash. They have been bleeding money for nearly 2 years.

11 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

We are in a holding pattern, waiting to hear if the Coral Princess world cruise will sail in May 2022

That one might be a bit complicated, especially if some of the ports are still on the Do Not Travel list. 

• Like 2