Booked my first cruise with Viking!

Astromaid

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I certainly second your Queen Mary.  For anyone even slightly interested in passenger ships and history the QM in Long Beach is a must.  Yes, it has been chopped up somewhat and is really showing the fact it is a century old (construction was halted for several years in the '20s of the last century) but she is still there.  We have stayed aboard a couple of times in the restored original first class cabins and really enjoyed it.  I sailed on her with my parents as a kid.  Queen Mary is responsible for me running away to sea after university.  🍺 And about a 20 minute ride if traffic is ok.  But then, when is traffic ok in SoCal?

Traffic is seldom an issue between San Pedro and the Queen.  We spent NYE one year one her overnight.  I suggest that people take advantage and visit her soon.  The operator went bankrupt without performing the repairs that Long Beach gave them.  The hull I understand has a tremendous amount of rot.  While a nice amusement, the longterm viability of the ship is uncertain.  It can’t be financially viable without massive subsidy to repair 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 1:27 AM, Jim Avery said:

All ships meet their ends.

Hopefully she will be able to go with dignity, even if that is to a breakers yard. Like USS Missouri and fellow liner Queen Elizabeth she served in WW2, but didn't travel in convoy, as her best defence was deemed to be her speed, not much else could match her. 

I hate seeing photos of QEII stuck in one place, She was the last of the true liners, and also served as a troop ship in wartime. Better she be broken up than humiliated

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Hopefully she will be able to go with dignity, even if that is to a breakers yard. Like USS Missouri and fellow liner Queen Elizabeth she served in WW2, but didn't travel in convoy, as her best defence was deemed to be her speed, not much else could match her. 

I hate seeing photos of QEII stuck in one place, She was the last of the true liners, and also served as a troop ship in wartime. Better she be broken up than humiliated

Also, a mention of Canberra (The Great White Whale) for Heidi and P&O

• Like 1

I have looked into the Queen Mary and it looks like she is closed. I watched a short video about life along side and I'm afraid a succession of care takers have failed to take care of her. The best thing for her now barring a half billion dollar refit would be to strip out the fitments so they may live on somewhere. She could be broken up in place with the scrap metal taken away by barge.

Of course if they decided to do that then the public outcry from those who never supported her with their patronage would be deafening.

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Also, a mention of Canberra (The Great White Whale) for Heidi and P&O

Jim's preference was the Cunarders, but for me it was definitely P&O, although Oriana & Uganda were my 2 favourites.

Lots of stories from the Falklands of why the QEII never got close to the islands, but Canberra was right in San Carlos Bay (bomb alley).

• Like 1